road ethics

Options

Replies

• bluetrumpet01
    bluetrumpet01 Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    I don't expect you to trust me at all. I expect you to be a good enough driver to anticipate my moves and protect your own self. If you're not always anticipating what each and every driver around you is going to do, you're falling asleep at the wheel. That is what I've been advocating this whole time!!

I want you to be able to assess the situation and react accordingly. I know when the driver ahead of me is going to switch lanes? How? Look for the cues such as drifting, looking over their shoulder, etc. You should be able to tell at any given moment the closing speed between each and every lane of traffic (are they moving slower or faster in relation to each other). Reading the road is the most important traffic skill, and so few people are adept at it. I'm not saying I"m a perfect driver, the difference is, I usually have a pretty good idea about when I f*** up.

If someone slams their brakes when I switch into the lane in front of them because they didn't notice traffic on their left/right was moving faster and they were being an obstacle, and didn't notice me passing them, that is their own fault. Why should I care about those people?

And as far as old people are concerned, it is my solid belief that every driver should be to pass a cognitive and skills based exam every couple of years. I've seen old people that hold their own, and way many more old people that should never be allowed to drive again, no pity. Too often, meekness and poor driving are championed in the name of safety and defensive driving.

Who do I think I am? Who do YOU think you are? If you don't care about wasting away your life in a car, that's your problem. I'm going to get where I'm going with purpose. And to the OP, if you're too out of it to know the roads you travel on to minimize your travel time in every way possible, then you don't have the right to complain about perfectly legal maneuvers.
  • anemoneprose
    anemoneprose Posts: 1,805 Member
    Options
    I don't expect you to trust me at all. I expect you to be a good enough driver to anticipate my moves and protect your own self. If you're not always anticipating what each and every driver around you is going to do, you're falling asleep at the wheel. That is what I've been advocating this whole time!!

I want you to be able to assess the situation and react accordingly. I know when the driver ahead of me is going to switch lanes? How? Look for the cues such as drifting, looking over their shoulder, etc. You should be able to tell at any given moment the closing speed between each and every lane of traffic (are they moving slower or faster in relation to each other). Reading the road is the most important traffic skill, and so few people are adept at it. I'm not saying I"m a perfect driver, the difference is, I usually have a pretty good idea about when I f*** up.

If someone slams their brakes when I switch into the lane in front of them because they didn't notice traffic on their left/right was moving faster and they were being an obstacle, and didn't notice me passing them, that is their own fault. Why should I care about those people?

And as far as old people are concerned, it is my solid belief that every driver should be to pass a cognitive and skills based exam every couple of years. I've seen old people that hold their own, and way many more old people that should never be allowed to drive again, no pity. Too often, meekness and poor driving are championed in the name of safety and defensive driving.

Who do I think I am? Who do YOU think you are? If you don't care about wasting away your life in a car, that's your problem. I'm going to get where I'm going with purpose. And to the OP, if you're too out of it to know the roads you travel on to minimize your travel time in every way possible, then you don't have the right to complain about perfectly legal maneuvers.

So according to you, and CONTRARY TO REALITY, every imperfect driver should be taken off the road. Also, you don't care if your amazing driving technique kills someone. Got it.

Also: I didn't say, "someone slams on their brakes", I said "a tire gets blown out". Not everything happens because of people. You can't predict everything.
  • bluetrumpet01
    Options
    Every distracted, unaware, complacent driver should absolutely be taken off the road. Since that's not happening, I'll continue to work my way around them, because it is unequivocally my belief that they are more of a menace on the road than I am.

You know how many times I've been merged onto by someone on their cell phone? Like I said, I know my driving isn't perfect, nor is it amazing. But I bet you that at any given time I am more aware of what is going on around me on the road than you "defensive drivers."

I don't have a death wish, and contrary to your belief, I'm not out to kill anyone. Now if someone gets themselves killed by their own incompetence (a.k.a. distracted, unaware, complacent, etc.) then that is their problem, because i guarantee you that it won't be because I hit them.
  • anemoneprose
    Options
    I didn't say you were out to kill anyone. You are clearly indifferent to the idea of someone dying as a result of your driving, though. Like my friend almost did as a result of the driving of someone like you.
  • bluetrumpet01
    Options
    i'm still not understanding how some jerk got a semi to rear end you? did you slam your brakes causing the semi to rear end you? were you the impervious one to the conditions around you?

if there is a semi tailgating you, guess what, get out of the way!
  • anemoneprose
    Options
    i'm still not understanding how some jerk got a semi to rear end you? did you slam your brakes causing the semi to rear end you? were you the impervious one to the conditions around you?

I was in one of those long merging lanes, in stopped traffic. The merging lane was stopped, the highway was stopped, no one on the highway was letting anyone on. Total parking lot.

Some guy in a truck zoomed down the side of the merging lane (not even on the road proper), and the semi driver swerved to avoid being hit by zoomey mczoomerson, which led the semi to hit us.

(There was nowhere for me to go to, in this postulated getting out of the way I should have been doing)
  • JusticeGirl25
    JusticeGirl25 Posts: 703 Member
    Options
    Go at least the speed limit. Drives me up a wall when some driver is 5-10 MPH under the speed limit.
  • bluetrumpet01
    Options

I was in one of those long merging lanes, in stopped traffic. The merging lane was stopped, the highway was stopped, no one on the highway was letting anyone on. Total parking lot.

Some guy in a truck zoomed down the side of the merging lane (not even on the road proper), and the semi driver swerved to avoid being hit by zoomey mczoomerson, which led the semi to hit us.

alright, totally different thing. Never did I ever say anything about driving off road. If traffic is stopped, I still don't understand the situation with the semi, but ok, whatever.

I do NOT condone reckless driving. I will not switch more than one lane of traffic at a time (I count to five before consecutive lane changes). There are some who you will group me in the same category as me who really do have no regard for anyone else on the road

I stand by belief that the most dangerous drivers on the road are still those that have no clue what is going on around them. All I'm trying to do is get to where I'm going as quickly and efficiently as possible.
  • anemoneprose
    Options

alright, totally different thing. Never did I ever say anything about driving off road. If traffic is stopped, I still don't understand the situation with the semi, but ok, whatever.

I do NOT condone reckless driving. I will not switch more than one lane of traffic at a time (I count to five before consecutive lane changes). There are some who you will group me in the same category as me who really do have no regard for anyone else on the road

I stand by belief that the most dangerous drivers on the road are still those that have no clue what is going on around them. All I'm trying to do is get to where I'm going as quickly and efficiently as possible.

The road ahead of us was stopped - as I recall, there was some clear space behind us. The semi driver was going a little fast too, and probably not attending to his sight line.

I'm not saying you're wrong that the old, the professional drivers who are worn out on their 48th hour, the ordinary commuters who are just kind of tired, whoever, can be dangerous. I am saying that *given* that fact, and the unpredictability of a range of other kinds of events, your style of driving increases the risk to others, indirectly*. And you are saying you don't care about that, if I understand you.

*Because, this semi driver, or another one, could easily have freaked out if the guy were in an exit lane. I've seen people react in all kinds of ways to the aggressive driving you describe.
  • Doodlewhopper
    Doodlewhopper Posts: 1,018 Member
    Options
    Aggressive driving is as dangerous as driving under the influence. This driver is in every sense of the word impaired and should be punished the same.

"Approximately 6,800,000 crashes occur in the United States each year; a substantial number are estimated to be caused by aggressive driving. " http://www.nhtsa.gov/people/injury/aggressive/aggproplanner/page05.htm

Aggressive drivers are ineffectual and have feelings of impotence.They lack the ability to cope. They cannot control their emotions; and the anonymity of being in a car gives these bully drivers a false sense of control and power that they lack outside the car.

Consider what a car provides for this type of bully....anonymity, power, and a means to flee.

The aggressive driver is nothing more than a hyena. He would never try to behave this way one on one, man to man.

Anyone who bullies lacks self esteem and is a coward.
  • fannyfrost
    fannyfrost Posts: 756 Member
    Options
    I'm from Jersey, right outside of NYC, there are no road ethics and aggressive driving is the only way to get anywhere.

And if you think anyone is going to be POLITE well then you should not be in Jersey.
  • mrs_mab
    mrs_mab Posts: 1,024 Member
    Options
    Or people who see the Right lane ends 1 mile sign and stays in the right line right up until it ends and then expects someone to let them in....
    OMG ths ^^^^^ makes me so :mad:
    I'm from Jersey, right outside of NYC, there are no road ethics and aggressive driving is the only way to get anywhere.

And if you think anyone is going to be POLITE well then you should not be in Jersey.
    There IS a difference between being aggressive and being douche! If you are NOT aggressive here in the ATL you will get run over, if you're a douche here in the ATL, well, you will probably still get run over - deservidly so.
  • tlangenfeld
    tlangenfeld Posts: 2,330 Member
    Options
    bump
  • Doodlewhopper
    Doodlewhopper Posts: 1,018 Member
    Options

I often drive in many cities; Newark, Trenton, Philly, DC, St. Louis, Tulsa, Chicago, Ok City, Boston, Atlanta, DFW and I often in Houston. In a city with congested turnpikes you must be assertive, but that is not the same as being aggressive.

I get very frustrated with the inconsiderate and clueless drivers who park in the hammer lane. I really do prefer to drive among the assertive drivers cuz I know what to expect.

Ive learned that a little consideration often goes a long way.
  • tackie8383
    tackie8383 Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    road ethics? You mean etiquette?
  • tlangenfeld
    tlangenfeld Posts: 2,330 Member
    Options
    anigif_enhanced-buzz-10181-1323295518-9.gif
  • bloominheck
    bloominheck Posts: 869 Member
    Options
    I drive 45 minutes (on a good day ) to work and home on So Cal freeways. I just cant let sheet bother me. I just say eff it and keep driving. :glasses:
  • bloominheck
    bloominheck Posts: 869 Member
    Options
    Too much testosterone up in here...I'm sceeeered and need hugs.

hugs.gif

(((Hugs)))) shush dont be skeered, it will be alright.. there there:flowerforyou:
  • JeffseekingV
    JeffseekingV Posts: 3,165 Member
    Options
    I am appalled at the lack of road ethics shown by people. For example, people would travel in the exit lane to avoid traffic, then get back into lane right at the end. I hate these people. There is something wrong with them. We all justify our stupid actions but it really is a reflection of our character. Stop being a jerk!

I'm one of those guys. Not only do I NOT care what you think of my driving, I HATE the fact you drive like a scared little ... I don't even know. How about you worry about your own driving, improve your situational awareness on the road, and drive like you actually want to get wherever you're going. By the way, I only need 3 inches on either side to jump the gap between you and the car ahead of you (though you might be the type that leaves 3 football fields). It's not wreckless, it's knowing how to drive like you have a clue how to actually handle the 3k pound machine you've been entrusted with.

You want road ethics, how about you don't add an extra half hour to my commute, mmmk?

In this case, I'd think people just want people to actually obey the law. Most of what you describe is illegal
  • megalin9
    megalin9 Posts: 771 Member
    Options
    I HATE people who ride my bumper if I am in the left lane, going OVER the speed limit and consistently passing cars in the right lane. I will get over and let anybody going faster than me pass, but not if I'm passing cars myself. You can just hold your horses, so get off my tail.

HOWEVER, if you are in the left lane, going UNDER the speed limit and not passing anybody on your right, GET THE FRICK OVER or I will ride YOUR tail and push you out of the way! Mkay?