road ethics

Options

Replies

• JeffseekingV
    JeffseekingV Posts: 3,165 Member
    Options
    I see your point but riding your bumper is a way to tell you that I want to pass you.

You could also use your signal? And then wait for a gap?

Could. Or flash the bights once. but if that person is in the left lane, that person is supposed to move over to the right so I can pass on the left. Passing on the right is not recommended.

Supposed to move over? According to which law?

There is no way I'm doing anything different just because someone tailgates me, and especially not if s/he does any of those things.

If I'm going with the flow of traffic, say 10-15 mph over the limit (a guess, I think in km), unless it's an ambulance behind me, that person can suck it and wait.

Actually in the USA the left lane is only for passing in a lot of states, you can get a ticket even if you are doing the speed limit. You would be surprised by how many people who don't know some of those road rules.

Technically it's the same here, but I live in one of the top 5 congested cities on the continent. The left lane on the highway, effectively, functions like a regular lane. But like I said, I hardly use the highway, & when I do, I am going the same speed as (not slower than) everyone else in that lane. If someone's tailgating me, more often than not it's:
    1) a monster truck driver
    2) a male aged 16-25
    3) some middle-aged, entitled wingnut in a lexus
    4) a taxi driver

so not only are you the speed police but the driver judgment police.

no, i am observing regularities in human behaviour

If want to go past you, then let them go past you.

If someone ahead of you is going 10mph below the speed limit in the fast lane, you don't have a problem with that?
  • jerber160
    jerber160 Posts: 2,606 Member
    Options
    I am appalled at the lack of road ethics shown by people. For example, people would travel in the exit lane to avoid traffic, then get back into lane right at the end. I hate these people. There is something wrong with them. We all justify our stupid actions but it really is a reflection of our character. Stop being a jerk!

I'm one of those guys. Not only do I NOT care what you think of my driving, I HATE the fact you drive like a scared little ... I don't even know. How about you worry about your own driving, improve your situational awareness on the road, and drive like you actually want to get wherever you're going. By the way, I only need 3 inches on either side to jump the gap between you and the car ahead of you (though you might be the type that leaves 3 football fields). It's not wreckless, it's knowing how to drive like you have a clue how to actually handle the 3k pound machine you've been entrusted with.

You want road ethics, how about you don't add an extra half hour to my commute, mmmk?
    one of those! in drivers ed 3 car lengths was called an air cushion... tailgating IS wreckless and I really hate people who can't recognize they're in TRAFFIC. I love having people like you tailgating me in traffic, determined NO ONE will get between us because I'm gonna leave enough room for EVERYONE to get in front of me and therefore you too. IT"S TRAFFIC! BACK OFF. the sad thing is, usually when this happens NO ONE wants to change lanes. life just sucks.
  • anemoneprose
    anemoneprose Posts: 1,805 Member
    Options
    I see your point but riding your bumper is a way to tell you that I want to pass you.

Could. Or flash the bights once. but if that person is in the left lane, that person is supposed to move over to the right so I can pass on the left. Passing on the right is not recommended.

There is no way I'm doing anything different just because someone tailgates me, and especially not if s/he does any of those things.

If I'm going with the flow of traffic, say 10-15 mph over the limit (a guess, I think in km), unless it's an ambulance behind me, that person can suck it and wait.

Actually in the USA the left lane is only for passing in a lot of states, you can get a ticket even if you are doing the speed limit. You would be surprised by how many people who don't know some of those road rules.

Technically it's the same here, but I live in one of the top 5 congested cities on the continent. The left lane on the highway, effectively, functions like a regular lane. But like I said, I hardly use the highway, & when I do, I am going the same speed as (not slower than) everyone else in that lane. If someone's tailgating me, more often than not it's:
    2) a male aged 16-25
    4) a taxi driver

If someone ahead of you is going 10mph below the speed limit in the fast lane, you don't have a problem with that?

No actually, I don't.

Let me say again: I personally do not drive slower than anyone else in my lane, I keep with the flow of traffic. The only people tailgaiting me are the ones darting in and out of lanes, like it's a video game
  • JeffseekingV
    JeffseekingV Posts: 3,165 Member
    Options

2) a male aged 16-25
    4) a taxi driver

No actually, I don't.

Let me say again: I personally do not drive slower than anyone else in my lane, I keep with the flow of traffic. The only people tailgaiting me are the ones darting in and out of lanes, like it's a video game

That's fair enough. That would piss me off to have 4 lanes of numbnuts going the speed limit leaving a wide open freeway ahead of them.
  • madworld1
    madworld1 Posts: 524
    Options
    Fart in their general direction or point at them and scream "A pox upon you, you unethical road penishead."

Physically impossible when driving!!!

You always have the option of following them. When they get out of their car you can fart in their general direction.
  • Doodlewhopper
    Doodlewhopper Posts: 1,018 Member
    Options

State "keep right" laws

http://www.mit.edu/~jfc/right.html

Ignorance is no excuse.
  • anemoneprose
    Options
    State "keep right" laws

Ignorance is no excuse.

i explained that the conditions of my city make the left lane not a passing lane, by overwhelming consensus and convention. also, i don't live in a state.
  • Doodlewhopper
    Doodlewhopper Posts: 1,018 Member
    Options
    State "keep right" laws

Ignorance is no excuse.

i explained that the conditions of my city make the left lane not a passing lane, by overwhelming consensus and convention. also, i don't live in a state.

#1 You asked:
    #2 I assume you live in D.C. It also has a Slower Traffic Keep Right Law.
  • anemoneprose
    Options
    State "keep right" laws

Ignorance is no excuse.

#1 You asked:
    #2 I assume you live in D.C. It also has a Slower Traffic Keep Right Law.

Sorry was unclear - but, thank you, yes, I did ask for a law, & neglected to offer a context re location, my bad - I meant, what law permits tailgating as an appropriate form of inter-driver communication?

The left lane is the passing lane in most places, of course, and technically (but in no way realistically) in mine too

Not in DC, not in the US
  • NormInv
    NormInv Posts: 3,302 Member
    Options
    road ethics? You mean etiquette?

no, ethics. Ethics run deeper and reflect who you are as a person. Etiquette is whether to rsvp an office picnic.
  • NormInv
    Options
    Honest question here,... Why don't you "travel in the exit lane to avoid traffic, then get back into lane right at the end"?
    Why does doing that make somebody a jerk?

why? Because you are the cause of the delay and not the only one trying to make work on time, genius!
  • nope31
    nope31 Posts: 174
    Options
    carmirrorgif.gif

Norm, This is me messing w/you while driving
  • NormInv
    Options
    You need a nose job, pronto!
  • nope31
    Options
    You need a nose job, pronto!

R u Buying? :blushing:
  • NormInv
    Options
    nope 31. My sugar baby age limit is 30.
  • nope31
    Options

[img]http://i1138.photobucket.com/albums/n537/SirBrickRock/moving car pics/dodgechallenger.gif[/img]

I'll let ya take my Charger for a spin.
  • JustAboutDelicious_wechanged
    Options
    Awwwwws, I'm outta of limit for your suga' baby :sad:
  • nope31
    Options

cop_car_animation_web-small.gif

License and Registration Please.
  • NormInv
    Options

Our board of directors made an exemption for you!
  • NormInv
    Options

[img]http://i1138.photobucket.com/albums/n537/SirBrickRock/moving car pics/dodgechallenger.gif[/img]

I'll let ya take my Charger for a spin.

corvette or shut the front door!