Mother shamed for sending her child to school with oreos

Options

Replies

• 3bambi3
    3bambi3 Posts: 1,650 Member
    Options
    Hornsby wrote: »
    I haven't seen that this was a rule? I thought the consensus was that it wasn't a rule. Is there an article that says it was a rule?

Nope. In fact, one of the articles said the district isn't in the practice of policing the children's lunches.
  • weird_me2
    weird_me2 Posts: 716 Member
    Options
    I haven't seen that this was a rule? I thought the consensus was that it wasn't a rule. Is there an article that says it was a rule?

The article I read sounded like it was policy to not allow the cookies, but not policy to address it like the teacher did. It's the end of April. I find it hard to believe that it wasn't a known policy that the mother followed for the first 8 months of school. If it wasn't a stated policy, it's likely this situation would have occurred before now. Mom also wouldn't have made the excuse that she was out of fruit if that was the case, she would have sent the Oreos without apology.
  • Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    Options
    weird_me2 wrote: »

The article I read sounded like it was policy to not allow the cookies, but not policy to address it like the teacher did. It's the end of April. I find it hard to believe that it wasn't a known policy that the mother followed for the first 8 months of school. If it wasn't a stated policy, it's likely this situation would have occurred before now. Mom also wouldn't have made the excuse that she was out of fruit if that was the case, she would have sent the Oreos without apology.

Ahh, okay. This article makes it sound very much like it wasn't a policy in any way, shape or form.
    http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/nation/2015/04/28/school-lunch-returned-not-nutritious/26498493/

• JPW1990
    JPW1990 Posts: 2,424 Member
    Options

One article says the school doesn't tell parents what to feed their kids, but this child is there through a state run program bound by federal regulations. The school could say kids could eat horse for lunch, wouldn't change the rules for the ones who are there as overflow from the public program.
  • Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    Options
    Yea, I'll take the director's word on it. She says the teacher is in the wrong...I'll go with that.
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options
    Yea, I'll take the director's word on it. She says the teacher is in the wrong...I'll go with that.

But what about the chemicals???
  • PeachyCarol
    PeachyCarol Posts: 8,029 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    jofjltncb6 wrote: »
    My daily lunch through most of grade school was a butter and jelly sandwich on white bread (because I hated peanut butter) with chips. In high school, sodas were available from vending machines so I had several every day.

But most importantly, double stuff oreos or GTFO.

I used to hate peanut butter with jelly. And my mother refused to send me with just a peanut butter sandwich because she said it was too dry. So my lunch was cream cheese and jelly or just a cheese sandwich with chips, fruit and cookies.

High school? I made my own money baby sitting and later had jobs bought lunch. I used to get a cheese sandwich an tomato soup most days and soda.

But mostly, I just wanted to say that in honor of this thread, I just had some gluten-free Joe's Joe's (Oreo doesn't have a GF version) and they were spectacular. They were also probably more chemical-laden than regular Oreo's (the emulsifiers! Palm oil!)

• Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    My kids had one Oreo for lunch for a couple weeks.. With a sandwich and fruit. That's just crazy.
  • DaveinSK
    DaveinSK Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    My lunch in high-school consisted of a Long John or two for a snack in the cafeteria, and Pizza Pockets or a pot of Mac and Cheese for lunch. Unless I had an extra $5 on a Tuesday, then it was two footlong meatball subs at Subway. Inexplicably I was probably in the best shape of my life back then. All the damage from the processed food probably takes awhile to show up. :tongue:
  • kgeyser
    kgeyser Posts: 22,505 Member
    Options
    JPW1990 wrote: »

One article says the school doesn't tell parents what to feed their kids, but this child is there through a state run program bound by federal regulations. The school could say kids could eat horse for lunch, wouldn't change the rules for the ones who are there as overflow from the public program.

The first version of the article I saw, which I can't find now for the life of me, said that she had sent items on the "banned" list throughout the year and had never heard a word about it until now. She also felt the policy was confusing because the parents had been asked to send in things like candy for class parties.

Personally, the note isn't the issue to me. Sending someone a form note about a school policy is no big deal. The part that bothered me was taking away a portion of the child's lunch, replacement food or not. That seemed unnecessary and the adults could have easily communicated without involving the child. An adult doing something like that would've sent my kid into a tantrum.
  • JPW1990
    JPW1990 Posts: 2,424 Member
    Options
    kgeyser wrote: »
    JPW1990 wrote: »

The first version of the article I saw, which I can't find now for the life of me, said that she had sent items on the "banned" list throughout the year and had never heard a word about it until now. She also felt the policy was confusing because the parents had been asked to send in things like candy for class parties.

Personally, the note isn't the issue to me. Sending someone a form note about a school policy is no big deal. The part that bothered me was taking away a portion of the child's lunch, replacement food or not. That seemed unnecessary and the adults could have easily communicated without involving the child. An adult doing something like that would've sent my kid into a tantrum.

And that's the part that's actually more common these days. Mom sites and blogs are filled with arguments about someone's kid getting their dessert taken away, or the school saying the lunch a parent sent wasn't good enough. A lot of times, it's not as controversial as oreos, and more about parents with picky kids who send something like meat and cheese with no bread, which gets confiscated and substituted with a sandwich on bread their kid won't eat, because bread.

Schools can lose funding now if lunches aren't up to standards, and some are more zealous than others about enforcing it. Presumably the extremes are the schools either desperate for money or with a lot of bored, rich granola touting moms in the PTA.
  • AlabasterVerve
    AlabasterVerve Posts: 3,171 Member
    Options
    I'm glad I'm not a parent. I wouldn't be able to stand it and would end up having to home school.
  • PeachyCarol
    PeachyCarol Posts: 8,029 Member
    Options
    I'm glad I'm not a parent. I wouldn't be able to stand it and would end up having to home school.

I'm glad we home school. This is all insane.

• AlabasterVerve
    AlabasterVerve Posts: 3,171 Member
    Options

Good for you! When I was growing up home schooling was seen as something weird but more and more it seems like the only sensible solution.
  • Alluminati
    Alluminati Posts: 6,208 Member
    Options
    Some of the replies on this thread.......O.O wow
  • Alluminati
    Alluminati Posts: 6,208 Member
    Options
    adamitri wrote: »
    3bambi3 wrote: »
    This is ridiculous. Aside from the Oreo issue, since when is peanut butter not a healthy snack? And wtf is the "If they have potatoes, the child will also need bread to go along with it." How does that make any sort of sense?

If I ever have kids, I wouldn't take kindly to a school telling me what is healthy for my child.

I quirked my head at the potatoes and bread together, why do they have to go together.

Add peppers and eggs and you have a delicious sammich.
  • auntstephie321
    auntstephie321 Posts: 3,586 Member
    Options

Good for you! When I was growing up home schooling was seen as something weird but more and more it seems like the only sensible solution.

Same here, I now realize why parents chose to homeschool, back then I thought it was strange. Now I'm trying to think of ways to home school if we ever have children.
  • SunflowerCat74
    SunflowerCat74 Posts: 258 Member
    Options
    ninerbuff wrote: »
    I would have flexed, asked whoever gave the note to give me 10 burpees with good form and if they couldn't do it, I'd tell her my DD can do it easily, along with 10 real pushups while eating Oreos. What kids eat for a snack doesn't impact THE WHOLE DAY of whatever other meals they are eating.
    A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

Love this!!!