The Truth About Jillian Michaels

Options

Replies

• PatriciaDC
    PatriciaDC Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    So I just watched that video on Youtube. I'm a fan of Jillian and I have almost all of her DVDs. I mean, it's possible she "stole" some of his training methods and sold them as hers but then again, she can't reinvent the wheel and that trainer of hers can not have invented all of his workout methods himself either.
    As far as taking steroids and smoking drugs ihre concerned - well, illegal, not a great role model but then again: None of my business. Might be something she did when she was younger and tried some things - which doesn't mean that I approve of it. I like her workouts and read some of her books - and quite frankly, I don't care whether she was 70 or 15 pounds overweight, whether that job as a bartender was in a gay bar or not and whether she used to hate kids or not. NONE OF MY BUSINESS.

that!!!
  • neandermagnon
    neandermagnon Posts: 7,436 Member
    Options
    Maybe people are being "protective" because you're being an *kitten*.

I think there's a tad of a difference between me having an opinion about a celebrity trainer and you being personally abusive to another user, don't you?

Actually, no, because when you shame one person for having a particular body type, you shame everyone else who has the same body type. It's like if someone posted a picture of a plus sized model and someone posted "I don't like her, she's too fat" - it's not shaming that one model, it's shaming everyone with the same body type.

so you can't really complain that people got snarky with you for comments like that.
  • newdaydawning79
    newdaydawning79 Posts: 1,503 Member
    Options
    I had a feeling this post was going to become an attack fest between the 'lovers' and the 'haters' (for lack of a better term). Glad to see I wasn't wrong?

As for the diet pills (I should have read more about those sooner and put that in my LAST comment on this forum tbh)...yeah. Would never take them and I think it's crappy that someone that people have up on a fitness-related pedestal would allow their name to be on such a thing. If diet and exercise is the way to go like you say, why are you putting your name and picture on a product that's useless at best and could be dangerous at worst? Makes no sense to me...except that it's all about the money.
  • nope31
    nope31 Posts: 174
    Options
    Sad......FDA really needs to test a lot products out here in the market.

ALSO DON'T USE THE DIET PILL THAT KIM KARDASHIAN PROMOTES!!!!!!!

Disgusting flavor, nasty purple color, the pill has this shimmer to it like makeup... I felt terrible after taking just one of them.

Ow God

Noob
  • neandermagnon
    Options
    I had a feeling this post was going to become an attack fest between the 'lovers' and the 'haters' (for lack of a better term). Glad to see I wasn't wrong?

I don't think it is. I couldn't give a rat's hairy behind about JM, but I objected to the body shaming on this thread, which is what most of the recent arguing is about.

Also, the guy in the you tube video comes across as a prick. The whole thing looks like six of one and half a dozen of the other, i.e. they have some kind of feud going on, and it's resulted in him making a you tube video full of dubious accusations, which he clearly can't substantiate, because if she had stolen anything copyrightable from his workouts, he could sue her for a huge amount of money, which he isn't doing. So he made himself look like he has a very bad case of sour grapes.
  • BlitzClipz
    BlitzClipz Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    Well. None of those allegations affect anything in my life, so I really DGAF what she was reported to do. It's not like I'm about to start smoking coke or taking steriods because of some dumb video. I've always thought she was an annoying b**** but I love the videos.
  • bababangarangrang
    bababangarangrang Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    I like her workout videos...as for the rest...*kanye shrug*
  • RoadsterGirlie
    RoadsterGirlie Posts: 1,195 Member
    Options
    I don't have any problem with the people who take issue with her regarding the fact that she slapped her name on gimmicky diet pills. I do like her, but I was disappointed when I saw those advertisements.

Like somebody else stated, I take issue with the folks who want to attack her body type.
  • Lazygal53
    Lazygal53 Posts: 294 Member
    Options

I think there's a tad of a difference between me having an opinion about a celebrity trainer and you being personally abusive to another user, don't you?
    But good news MsPudding, the odds of you somehow accidentally getting Jillian's body are nil.

....and another person who responds to an opinion about a celebrity with personal abuse.

Interesting. Still, nevermind, that's why the forum comes with a 'Report Post' feature I guess :smile:

It's the American way ... morallity doesn't come into anything anywhere I'm afraid.
  • MsPudding
    MsPudding Posts: 562 Member
    Options
    Actually, no, because when you shame one person for having a particular body type, you shame everyone else who has the same body type. It's like if someone posted a picture of a plus sized model and someone posted "I don't like her, she's too fat" - it's not shaming that one model, it's shaming everyone with the same body type.
    Ahh, so does that mean that Jillian Michaels shames everyone who's fat by involving herself with The Biggest Loser, or does she just shame the hapless individuals on it who she trained? I'd say it's just the individuals she shames, but your opinion may differ.

so you can't really complain that people got snarky with you for comments like that.
    Oh I'm not complaining; it's water off a duck's back - but in the great game of forum debate, if someone happens to get so hot under the collar about others' opinions that they fall foul of the forum rules then it'd be churlish of me not to pick up on it wouldn't it?
  • TheDoctorDana
    TheDoctorDana Posts: 595 Member
    Options

As for the diet pills (I should have read more about those sooner and put that in my LAST comment on this forum tbh)...yeah. Would never take them and I think it's crappy that someone that people have up on a fitness-related pedestal would allow their name to be on such a thing. If diet and exercise is the way to go like you say, why are you putting your name and picture on a product that's useless at best and could be dangerous at worst? Makes no sense to me...except that it's all about the money.

This! If it's all about hard work and dedication then why )other than Big Business) is she selling this crap? There are better role models here who have done it the right way that should be put on a pedestal who don't add chemicals and eat healthy.
  • AuntieKT
    AuntieKT Posts: 235 Member
    Options
    I didn't get to watch the video because I am at work, but it seems as though it isn't a very flattering depiction of Jillian...and I don't care. I love her and there is nothing anyone can say to change that!
  • neandermagnon
    Options
    Ahh, so does that mean that Jillian Michaels shames everyone who's fat by involving herself with The Biggest Loser, or does she just shame the hapless individuals on it who she trained? I'd say it's just the individuals she shames, but your opinion may differ.

without having actually seen her in more than a couple of episodes of the biggest loser a long time ago (I don't like the show and don't watch it) I can't really say if she's shaming anyone or not. But even if she is, it doesn't give anyone the right to make negative comments about her body. Two wrongs don't make a right.
  • IrishChik
    IrishChik Posts: 464 Member
    Options
    She actually discussed those supplements in her new book and on her podcast.

When she first started BL she had people wanting her to endorse every product. The management company she was with at the time thought it was a good idea. Knowing what she knew then about nutrition and herbal supplements, she thought it was good.

It wasnt until years later and tons of research of her own she realized it was not so good. But contracts being what they are its not like she can pull the stuff off the shelves. She no longer promotes it and I noticed over the years less stores are carrying it. Makes me think their is not much production.

She has publicly apologized for educating herself after the fact.

I still respect her when it comes to working out and the fact that she has PCOS. Slim for Life and Master Your Metabolism are great tools for battling PCOS and other endocrine issue.
  • LouiseDavis65
    LouiseDavis65 Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    I won't even bother watching this video. I love Jillian (and I love watching the Biggest Loser...don't hate me! LOL). I saw her Maximize your Life tour back in April - she completely motivated me, got me off my butt, I have lost 11 pounds since then and am in better shape than ever. Some people don't like her - that's okay. Not everyone is going to like every single person in this world. That's life. But there's no need to be rude about it. Let everyone live their own life --- if you have have to be rude about someone else, seems to me that you're the one with the problem, not them.
  • RebekahR84
    RebekahR84 Posts: 794 Member
    Options
    Out of interest - why are people so protective of her? She's a fitness trainer, not the Dalai Lama.

QFT.

Also I dislike body shamers. JIllian's shape is what she was born with, just in a fitter state. If she was less fit her shape would be the same so either MsPudding has an issue with the natural shape of Jilian's body (which is screwed up) or has a problem with women who dare to be fit and have muscle (Which is even more screwed up. Or at least equally as screwed up.)

But good news MsPudding, the odds of you somehow accidentally getting Jillian's body are nil.

tumblr_mk31vklp5O1s9n4cro1_500.gif

Almost died right here. LMFAO
  • SkinnyMozza
    SkinnyMozza Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    bump
  • JewelE77
    JewelE77 Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    Bump to watch later :)
  • misuzu437
    misuzu437 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Skinny fat means shes skinny but doesn't have enough muscle definition, especially in her line of work. I just think she's weak. The Idea of the work outs are great for getting most people into shape, but I'm already in shape, and I want a higher level of fitness. She hasn't obtained that higher level and I would never accept her as a coach.

She can't even run... you can watch it on youtube.
  • Diamond05
    Diamond05 Posts: 475 Member
    Options
    You can tell she's pretty fake. She can't even make it through one of her whole work outs. Every second she gets she stops and starts talking about pointless and worthless commonsense "tips". blah blah.

I've noticed that too in the past! That made me wonder a bit about how in shape she was! I don't think thAt the term skinny fat suits her thoug...

Anyway I'm not sure if I believe that video... The 9 years is suspicious to me .. He's also disrespectful about her sexuality, I don't get the point of that. Im leaning more towards a guy who wants in few minutes of fame... And I personally don't care about what she does/did in her personnel life. It won't prevent me from doing her videos and such.