13»

Replies

• juggernaut1974
    juggernaut1974 Posts: 6,212 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    ndj1979 wrote: »
    emmoen wrote: »
    I don't understand how some of you stated that it cannot be muscle gains... If your body has the extra fat that can be burn... You body can use that energy to build muscle

Also, if OP is lifting heavy she may get some newbie gains, but those will eventually peter out...

Doesn't sound like that's the case:
    eviehowie wrote: »
    I have been doing cardiac rehab 3 times a week since February 2015 and I walk for an hour on all the other days not in rehab.

You're not building ANY muscle on that.

You're either miscalculating your calories in or out (or probably a combination of both).
  • FunkyTobias
    FunkyTobias Posts: 1,776 Member
    Options
    Pu_239 wrote: »
    ahoy_m8 wrote: »
    Along the same lines as "Fat cannot turn into muscle".... I sometimes see the comment "Your body turns excess carbs into fat." This is also untrue, technically. Excess carbs do not get stored as fat. The body prioritizes energy oxidation source based roughly on storage ability.

Alcohol- no ability to store it- body will prioritize alcohol metabolism until it is all gone.
    Protein- not much amino acid storage ability- body will use what it can and metabolize the rest (up to half intake) for energy.
    Carb- pretty good glycogen storage ability- if stores already full and higher priority sources not available, the body will metabolize it. Generally speaking in a normal person, glycogen storage is about one day's worth of carb intake.
    Fat- EXCELLENT, virtually unlimited, storage ability- fat can/will be stored until other sources run out.

So, to be perhaps overly precise, carbs do not get stored as fat. When carbs show up, and if there is no alcohol or protein available, the body will prioritize carb metabolism over fat metabolism. Before someone asks, I do not know what happens if someone has a zero fat diet but eats in a surplus. I think that is rather unlikely. Maybe their liver blows up. http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/nutrition/nutrient-intake-nutrient-storage-and-nutrient-oxidation.html/

What you're saying is a different subject. It's about oxidation. There is a priority in oxidation. But that has nothing to do with storage. It goes like this for carbs turning in to fat.

Glucose(carbs) -> Pyruvate -> Acetyl CoA -> Fatty acids

An extremely inefficient process in humans that only occurs after massive carbohydrate overfeeding.

Only when CHO energy intake exceeds TEE does DNL in liver or adipose tissue contribute significantly to the whole-body energy economy. It is concluded that DNL is not the pathway of first resort for added dietary CHO, in humans.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/10365981

• rjmudlax13
    rjmudlax13 Posts: 909 Member
    Options
    eviehowie wrote: »
    Does anyone know how long my weight will go up because of muscle before I stay losing? It is really discouraging to be working so hard and trying to eat right and still not losing weight.

It's a myth that you gain weight with muscles. Stop overeating and exercise more, and it will come off.

A myth? No, you can gain weight from new muscle. But you need to be eating a calorie surplus, and weight training to gain muscle.

Yes you need to be lifting about four hours a day and eating 5,000 calories. That is NOT what the OP was talking about.

lulz
  • jaqcan
    jaqcan Posts: 498 Member
    Options
    Are you tracking and accurately weighing everything? If I had to guess, you are likely under estimating the amount of food you are eating, and over estimating the calories you are burning. Or eating back too many of the over estimated burned calories.
    How long have you been at this? You wouldn't be gaining muscle at a higher rate than losing fat if you are eating at a deficit.
    It's VERY hard to eyeball portions. If you really are weighing and tracking everything honestly, talk to your doctor. There may be something going on.
  • lisahenneberry83
    lisahenneberry83 Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    what's your diet like? Muscle weighs more than fat. If you have alot to lose then it will take longer. Are you getting enough fats and protein?? To many carbs can be a problem. Try keeping your carb intake under 30 grams a day for 6 days then on your 7th day for dinner eat carbs and have dessert. Then the next day start over. Track what your eating and how much. I am currently doing CNS ( carb Nite solution) I have been doing this for several months and it's working! I am strictly ketogenic for the first 2-3 hours of my day. I have lost body fat and gained muscle. It's been awesome! Coffee, heavy whipping cream and coconut oil have been my best friend! :) What type of exercise do you do?
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    what's your diet like? Muscle weighs more than fat. If you have alot to lose then it will take longer. Are you getting enough fats and protein?? To many carbs can be a problem. Try keeping your carb intake under 30 grams a day for 6 days then on your 7th day for dinner eat carbs and have dessert. Then the next day start over. Track what your eating and how much. I am currently doing CNS ( carb Nite solution) I have been doing this for several months and it's working! I am strictly ketogenic for the first 2-3 hours of my day. I have lost body fat and gained muscle. It's been awesome! Coffee, heavy whipping cream and coconut oil have been my best friend! :) What type of exercise do you do?

Wow.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Options

*sigh*...

so you do KETO for 2-3 hours and then what?

do you have before and after DEXA scan results to show how much body fat you lost and how much LBM you gained?

too many carbs is not a problem, unless you have a medical condition or you eat so many carbs you are in a calorie surplus..

is there any other bro science you would like to include?

• juggernaut1974
    Options

keep-calm-and-no-no-no-no-no-no-no-no-no-no-no-no-no.png
  • juggernaut1974
    Options
    MrM27 wrote: »
    Well I guess I spoke too soon

It's clearly your fault...
  • ew_david
    ew_david Posts: 3,473 Member
    Options
    this thread...lulz.
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    Options
    OP, buy a food scale. Weigh and log everything you eat. Keep track for 6 weeks. Continue on your exercise. In six weeks, let us know what you learned.
  • lisahenneberry83
    lisahenneberry83 Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    wow...All I did was offer my opinion. Just because some of you don't agree with it you think it's ok to bully? I have thick skin but that was really uncalled for. And yes for myself to many carbs are a problem.
  • ew_david
    ew_david Posts: 3,473 Member
    Options
    wow...All I did was offer my opinion. Just because some of you don't agree with it you think it's ok to bully? I have thick skin but that was really uncalled for. And yes for myself to many carbs are a problem.

But...science.
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options

It wasn't phrased like an opinion: it was phrased as a series of facts, but there isn't very much (if anything) to support them.
  • juggernaut1974
    Options

Opinions are fine to have...but when they're factually incorrect (especially on this site) they're going to be called out.

And I don't think "bully" means what you think it means. Disagreement =/= bullying.