bye bye sugar and flour

Options

Replies

• rebeccaschlaht
    rebeccaschlaht Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    ndj1979 wrote: »
    boopsiegrl wrote: »
    I have decided to give up flour and sugar foods I know that also will mean I am giving up processed food since it will be one of the culprits...Anyone out there done this and what has your weight loss success been?

I cut out all processed foods and I dont eat anything with added sugar. I am not afraid of sugar I am just doing this because I want to. I eat foods that have sugar in them naturally. I have lost 27lbs since Feb 23rd but I count my calories daily and exercise as much as i can. I walk up hills for my workouts. I know lots of people would disagree with me about what I eat but It really works for ME.

what would be the difference between added and natural sugar, that makes you avoid one and eat the other?

My natural sugar part is fruits with sugar in them. I dont avoid fruit.
  • Crisseyda
    Crisseyda Posts: 532 Member
    Options
    I have decided to give up flour and sugar foods I know that also will mean I am giving up processed food since it will be one of the culprits...Anyone out there done this and what has your weight loss success been?

I cut out all processed foods and I dont eat anything with added sugar. I am not afraid of sugar I am just doing this because I want to. I eat foods that have sugar in them naturally. I have lost 27lbs since Feb 23rd but I count my calories daily and exercise as much as i can. I walk up hills for my workouts. I know lots of people would disagree with me about what I eat but It really works for ME.

what would be the difference between added and natural sugar, that makes you avoid one and eat the other?

foods with naturally occurring sugars like fruit usually mitigate the effects with fiber, chewing resistance, and satiating nutrients, making it more difficult to overconsume.

Thanks, but I did not ask about fiber, I asked about sugar...

What's your question then?
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options

here is a recent study about the effect of a paleo diet for diabetes T2:
    http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/25828624

Anyway, since you have a medical condition, you should work with a practitioner (doctor and/or dietitian)

This. The posters on this board with diabetes mention having had diabetic training.

100% agree. Anything she does should be with medical supervision, which she has said she has, so that's good. There's a lot of encouragement of self diagnosis and treatment which I find a lot more disturbing than the supposedly "unsupportive" or "nasty" posts (I don't see anything nasty, but perhaps I skimmed too much or have the wrong dictionary). ;-)
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options

foods with naturally occurring sugars like fruit usually mitigate the effects with fiber, chewing resistance, and satiating nutrients, making it more difficult to overconsume.

Thanks, but I did not ask about fiber, I asked about sugar...

What's your question then?

what is the difference between natural sugar and added sugar? If your answer is "fiber" then the answer is there is not a difference. Because I can eat added sugar and still consume fiber, or if I want I can eat fiber with my added sugar...

Finally, I was asking the other poster and you decided to jump in ...but please, continue.
  • ndj1979
    Options

My natural sugar part is fruits with sugar in them. I dont avoid fruit.

Ok but why?

10 grams of apple sugar = 10 grams of candy bar sugar...
  • SconnieCat
    SconnieCat Posts: 770 Member
    Options
    djdollase wrote: »
    boopslegri: look into an anti-candida diet as this is essentially what you are talking about. and if you feel manipulated by sugar and flour then by all means try this diet out for a month or two... I have been on it for the past month and lost 10 additional pounds of bodyfat and look/feel amazing. experiment and don't let anyone nea-say it if it is your choice to try it out :-)

Went to the website.

Lost me at the "first optional Cleansing Phase".

Also there is absolutely no science behind whether or not people actually have a problem with candida. Most of the claims that candida is an issue are founded by quack-naturalists and people desperate for cute new buzzwords for illnesses and sensitivities.

OP - pass on this. Talk to your doctor(s).
  • Sakismom
    Sakismom Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I cut out all white sugar and flour and within 2 weeks I lost 13 pounds. I switched to all whole foods, clean foods, I am not hungry and the inches are flying off. The processed food is the culprit, even salt has sugar in it.
  • rebeccaschlaht
    rebeccaschlaht Posts: 22 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    Ok but why?

I just want to eat foods in there most natural state. I am a food addict and I gravitate to sugar, fat and salt. eating the way I have I dont eat a whole back for hershey kisses. This is just what I need to do to keep me on track. Like I said in my post I do it because it works for me.
  • DeguelloTex
    DeguelloTex Posts: 6,652 Member
    Options
    Sakismom wrote: »
    I cut out all white sugar and flour and within 2 weeks I lost 13 pounds. I switched to all whole foods, clean foods, I am not hungry and the inches are flying off. The processed food is the culprit, even salt has sugar in it.
    LOL. No, seriously. LOL.

• ndj1979
    Options

this can't be be serious...
  • lemurcat12
    Options
    if I had stated my medical condition why would you feel different...if you think something is stupied, impractical or unnecessary why would being diabetic change that wouldn't your thoughts still be the same. I mean is red not still red to a blind person?

Some things are unnecessary absent a medical condition but necessary with one.

For example, I'm allergic to penicillin. Therefore, I can't take it. Insisting based on this that it's good for everyone to reject it would be silly, but clearly people who are allergic should.

Similarly, celiacs absolutely should avoid gluten. That doesn't mean I should. People who are lactose intolerant should avoid lactose, but I happen to find that many foods with lactose make me feel better overall, so I include dairy in my diet.

Most people, and even most diabetics, don't need to cut all added sugar (again, I assume that's what you mean) or flour, and may not even have any reason for treating those foods differently than other processed carbs (and yes, there are other processed carbs). However, it appears that you have serious medical reasons and have received medical advice to do so, and of course it may be necessary in some cases.

I did not say not to do it even before I read the follow-up post about diabetes and difficulties controlling it, because I think that there are a range of reasons people might benefit from trying various ways of eating that eliminate some foods for a period of time or even permanently, depending on what they are. However, when your given reason was that you didn't feel you could control yourself my mental reaction was different than when I heard it was a medical issue, since I think most people CAN learn to control themselves and when that's the issue understanding why you are being triggered and controlling yourself is generally more desirable, since you are going to be hit with temptation all the time and you don't want to create a mental reaction where if you have a bite of something you have a built in excuse that that means you WILL and MUST go wild. You want to be able to react with "I had a bite, that's nice, moving on." Or in some cases to decide to fit something you enjoy in without it being a big huge deal or derailing you somehow. But clearly someone who reacts in an extreme physical way to sugar, like a celiac who reacts in a physical way to gluten, has a different goal.

You can have a perfectly satisfying diet without flour and sugar, but if you've been eating lots of foods based on them for a while it might take some adjustment and learning about other foods you will love.
  • lemurcat12
    Options

I cut out all processed foods

I have no issues with cutting out added sugar if that's what works for you. However, almost no one who claims to have cut out all processed foods really has, so I'm curious how you are defining "processed" here.
  • DeguelloTex
    DeguelloTex Posts: 6,652 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    Ok but why?

I just want to eat foods in there most natural state. I am a food addict and I gravitate to sugar, fat and salt. eating the way I have I dont eat a whole back for hershey kisses. This is just what I need to do to keep me on track. Like I said in my post I do it because it works for me.
    So, theoretically, chewing directly on the sugar cane would be fine for you, right? It's not the sugar, as sugar, it's just your philosophy?

• PeachyCarol
    PeachyCarol Posts: 8,029 Member
    Options

What the what now?

• Treece68
    Treece68 Posts: 780 Member
    Options
    You did not say anything like that at all

• skullshank
    skullshank Posts: 4,323 Member
    Options

Shhh.gif
  • DaneanP
    DaneanP Posts: 433 Member
    Options
    My mom just started on insulin for her Type 2 diabetes. The nutritionist did focus on choosing foods with fiber in addition to carbohydrates because the fiber slows down digestion and doesn't dump the sugar into the bloodstream as quickly. For example, eat an apple vs. drinking a glass of apple juice.

The diabetes educator also informed us that not all diabetics process food the same exact way and therefore it is important to check your blood sugars frequently to see how YOUR body handles different forms of carbs. Some diabetics can eat 1 apple and see a spike in their CBG. Some can eat 3 apples and get no spike at all.
  • luvz2bake2015
    luvz2bake2015 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Whether you have a health issue or it is just a choice doesn't matter. You do what you feel is best for you. If you find you cannot handle cutting it out of your diet completely then you can start gradually adding back until you find the right balance. I have opted out of eating sugar, not for a particular health reason right now but to possibly prevent one in the future due to family history. After the third day of no sugar, I am talking about eating junk food such as cookies, cake, ice cream etc., I don't crave or even think about. I do have sugar in the food's I eat but I opt for versions that have a low sugar content and monitor my carbs. That is where MFP is a useful tool. I can plan my day and watch my counter at the bottom to determine if I am eating a well balanced diet. I am getting the nutrition that I need and so I don't crave anything or have the need to binge. Another helpful hint is eating every 2 hours if possible, this stabilizes your blood sugar and you feel satisfied throughout the day. I just restarted with MFP, was a member years ago and it was successful in helping me drop the weight easily without feeling deprived.

I wish you the best of success, everyone is different and has different reasons for their diet choices, so just research, test and try things until you find what fits for you and your needs. Just don't give up!! Keep at it until you figure it out!!
  • RGv2
    RGv2 Posts: 5,789 Member
    Options
    I've lost 40 pounds staying away from flour and sugar. I followed the low carb, high fat diet and it was wonderful. Never hungry and sometimes even had to force myself to eat a little more during the day to hit 1,000 calories (it's not like that for everyone though, this was just what happened to me). Lots of energy, better overall mood, better focus during school. Ignore the people who question you, they have low will power if they can't NOT eat those things!

OP, you do you. If you want to do that kind of diet, you go ahead and do it regardless of what anyone thinks. I and many other people had a lot of success with it. If it works for you, wonderful! If it doesn't, oh well. Make sure to read up on it and you make an educated decision for yourself. You'll always find people who don't agree with your choices.

Who ever said that they can't not eat what they want. They're choosing moderation, which would be just as much of the definition of will power (if not more) than completely cutting it out.

Cutting it out for some means they don't have the will power to even have the foods around, let alone to have the will power to enjoy said foods in moderation.
  • Travis_2
    Travis_2 Posts: 1,445 Member
    Options
    b3fc96e813bfb7d38126ba5e51d0948d20e050dc6f6b5d4e8eee64920aad5f69.jpg
This discussion has been closed.