bye bye sugar and flour

Options

Replies

• belinus
    belinus Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    Actually, they did answer the question with fiber and nutrients. Because it is impossible to get the "10 grams of apple sugar" without eating the apple to get it which contains fiber, Vitamins A/C/E/K, Potassium, Omega 3/6 fatty acids, and 191g of water in a large apple.

Also, the sugar in a snickers bar is processed which means it comes from corn or sugar beets versus naturally occurring in the food item.

The way you can see at just a glance is to look at the glycemic load. A large apple (diameter of 3.75") has a glycemic load of 6 with 23g of sugar. A fun-sized Snickers bar has 8g of sugar (almost 1/4 of that of the apple) and has a glycemic index of 5. Bump that up to a regular sized-bar like you'd find in the grocery store and you get 29g of sugar with a glycemic load of 21.
  • gothchiq
    gothchiq Posts: 4,590 Member
    Options
    Are you diabetic? You may then have to cut back, but you don't have to try to abstain completely. It will make finding foods really difficult if you take it that far.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    PikaKnight wrote: »
    ndj1979 wrote: »
    boopsiegrl wrote: »
    I have decided to give up flour and sugar foods I know that also will mean I am giving up processed food since it will be one of the culprits...Anyone out there done this and what has your weight loss success been?

I cut out all processed foods and I dont eat anything with added sugar. I am not afraid of sugar I am just doing this because I want to. I eat foods that have sugar in them naturally. I have lost 27lbs since Feb 23rd but I count my calories daily and exercise as much as i can. I walk up hills for my workouts. I know lots of people would disagree with me about what I eat but It really works for ME.

what would be the difference between added and natural sugar, that makes you avoid one and eat the other?

foods with naturally occurring sugars like fruit usually mitigate the effects with fiber, chewing resistance, and satiating nutrients, making it more difficult to overconsume.

Thanks, but I did not ask about fiber, I asked about sugar...

What's your question then?

what is the difference between natural sugar and added sugar? If your answer is "fiber" then the answer is there is not a difference. Because I can eat added sugar and still consume fiber, or if I want I can eat fiber with my added sugar...

Finally, I was asking the other poster and you decided to jump in ...but please, continue.

My answer was "fiber, chewing resistance, and satiating nutrients," among other things, like water, for example...

Despite common misconceptions, we really don't know it all when it comes to nutrition. You can't substitute an apple for water, fiber supplement, vitamin, and some sugar. It's not that simple.

Eating foods with naturally occurring sugar is different from eating foods with added sugar in their effects on the body's complex physiology, hormonal balance, etc.

If you don't believe this, that's fine. Don't preach what works for you. Be humble and open-minded. Nobody knows it all. And if you know just a little bit, you're much more likely to think you know it all!
    Your answer about how the sugar was different was all about things other than, you know, sugar. He didn't ask how a spoonful of sugar was different from a handful of strawberries. You do understand how completely non-responsive your answer is, right?

Glad I'm not the only one that was wondering how his original question had resulted in some fork in the road let's detour here answer.

because added sugar has to be bad, and people don't want to put it on par with natural sugar, so we get answers like "fiber" and "hormones" which then opens up a whole new fork of discussions...
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    ninerbuff wrote: »
    I have decided to give up flour and sugar foods I know that also will mean I am giving up processed food since it will be one of the culprits...Anyone out there done this and what has your weight loss success been?
    If you're just doing it for weight loss, then it could be the wrong approach for you. While REDUCING sugar and white flour products are fine, abstaining from it could lead to cravings high enough to binge when you can and lead back to significant weight gain.
    If you DON'T intend to eat that way the rest of your life, then you probably shouldn't attempt a diet program like this.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

If she was "just doing it for weight loss" it could be the RIGHT approach as well.
    And why does one need to do it "for the rest of their life" if they use it to cut calories?
    Couldn't one simply eat at maintenance (with or without the heavily refined carbs) and be fine? Because, CICO and all that.
  • Alyssa_Is_LosingIt
    Alyssa_Is_LosingIt Posts: 4,696 Member
    Options
    belinus wrote: »
    Actually, they did answer the question with fiber and nutrients. Because it is impossible to get the "10 grams of apple sugar" without eating the apple to get it which contains fiber, Vitamins A/C/E/K, Potassium, Omega 3/6 fatty acids, and 191g of water in a large apple.

Also, the sugar in a snickers bar is processed which means it comes from corn or sugar beets versus naturally occurring in the food item.

The way you can see at just a glance is to look at the glycemic load. A large apple (diameter of 3.75") has a glycemic load of 6 with 23g of sugar. A fun-sized Snickers bar has 8g of sugar (almost 1/4 of that of the apple) and has a glycemic index of 5. Bump that up to a regular sized-bar like you'd find in the grocery store and you get 29g of sugar with a glycemic load of 21.

Can you please explain the metabolic process that causes fructose from corn to be worse for our bodies than fructose from an apple? How is it different? Other than having fiber/vitamins with it. Because for one, our bodies separate all of this stuff out and metabolize them separately anyway, and also because by that logic I can just eat a spoonful of sugar, take a multi and a fiber supplement, and wash it all down with a glass of water and be immune from the evil sugar effects that I'd get from eating a fun-sized Snicker's bar.
  • ndj1979
    Options

what if I get my vitamins and fiber form other sources? What if I take a multivitamin and then eat a snickers? Is the added sugar in the snickers then good because fiber and vitamins?

Again, your response is moving the goalposts from my original question.

it was about the sugar in the apple, not vitamins and fiber contained within the apple.
  • belinus
    Options
    it was about the sugar in the apple, not vitamins and fiber contained within the apple.

And I answered you, please refer back to the glycemic load, which I accidentally referred to as "index" above. That will show you the difference.
    Because for one, our bodies separate all of this stuff out and metabolize them separately anyway, and also because by that logic I can just eat a spoonful of sugar, take a multi and a fiber supplement, and wash it all down with a glass of water and be immune from the evil sugar effects that I'd get from eating a fun-sized Snicker's bar.

So please explain why there is nearly a 400% jump in glycemic load between an apple and a regular-sized snickers bar even though they have relatively the same amount of sugar.
  • DeguelloTex
    DeguelloTex Posts: 6,652 Member
    Options

And I answered you, please refer back to the glycemic load, which I accidentally referred to as "index" above. That will show you the difference.
    You responded. You didn't answer.

"Things other than sugar" don't answer why the sugar is different. Repeating a poor answer doesn't make it any less poor.
  • ndj1979
    Options

Because for one, our bodies separate all of this stuff out and metabolize them separately anyway, and also because by that logic I can just eat a spoonful of sugar, take a multi and a fiber supplement, and wash it all down with a glass of water and be immune from the evil sugar effects that I'd get from eating a fun-sized Snicker's bar.

So please explain why there is nearly a 400% jump in glycemic load between an apple and a regular-sized snickers bar even though they have relatively the same amount of sugar.

I did not ask about glycemic load, way to move the goalposts.

I asked about 10 grams of apple sugar vs 10 grams of snicker sugar....feel free to answer..

also, protein spikes insult as well, so is that bad and should be avoided?
  • PeachyCarol
    PeachyCarol Posts: 8,029 Member
    Options

So the fun sized Snicker has 8 grams of sugar and a glycemic load of 5. Less than the apple. Cool. It's also only 80 calories and has some fat, which I'm usually trying to get more of. Good choice to round out my otherwise nutritious day.

• Alyssa_Is_LosingIt
    edited May 2015
    Options

So, a regular Snicker's bar, according to Snicker's website is 52.7 grams in weight and contains 27 g of sugar. A medium apple, about 100 grams in weight, has around 10 g of sugar. So for one thing, Snicker's bars, by weight, have more sugar than an apple. You'd have to eat about 2.5 medium (100 grams a piece) apples to have an equivalent amount of sugar as a regular Snicker's bar.

There is nothing inherently wrong with sugar in and of itself; however, someone with diabetes may not be able to handle a more concentrated amount of sugar at one time, which is why doctors will generally tell diabetics to avoid things like Snicker's bars. It's not that the sugar in the candy bar is any different than the sugar in an apple, it's just that the candy bar actually contains more sugar than the apple.

For those of us with no health conditions, having a Snicker's bar every now and then will have absolutely no impact on our health as long as we are eating an otherwise balanced diet within our caloric needs.

ETA: I still don't think you answered the question. You didn't explain why you think the sugar from the candy bar is any different than the sugar in the apple, which has nothing to do with glycemic load.
  • PeachyCarol
    Options
    Can someone answer this... when the body digests the foods... okay, it digests the "other things", but here's the thing... you eat the Snickers, or you eat the apples... and at some point, your body ends up facing... glucose and fructose.

So... two different foods, but the body is still going to be dealing with the same glucose and fructose eventually. How is that different?
  • Alyssa_Is_LosingIt
    Options
    Can someone answer this... when the body digests the foods... okay, it digests the "other things", but here's the thing... you eat the Snickers, or you eat the apples... and at some point, your body ends up facing... glucose and fructose.

So... two different foods, but the body is still going to be dealing with the same glucose and fructose eventually. How is that different?

This is what so many of these people don't seem to understand. The chemical makeup of these sugars in each food is the same, so our bodies digest them the same way. Whether they like it or not, our bodies are just big ol' chemistry machines. Our bodies don't care whether the fructose came from a Coke or from an apple - the body just processes it, takes what it needs, and keeps on truckin'.
  • belinus
    Options
    "Things other than sugar" don't answer why the sugar is different. Repeating a poor answer doesn't make it any less poor.

Actually, I did. His question was "what is the difference between added sugar and natural sugar?". I first answered by pointing out it is impossible for a person to just get the sugar out of an apple and listed the things that come with it in the process of consuming the apple. Always nice to know the little added perks.

Then I moved on to discuss glycemic load, which I again I mistakenly referred to as the "index", which is a practical comparison. If we go to the glycemic index itself, we see it there as well. Note: The Glycemic Index compares things to Glucose which has as GI of 100. The sugar in an apple is pure fructose, which is has a low glycemic index of around 20-25. Corn syrup, as it is listed on the Snickers ingredient list provided by Mars, Inc., has a GI of 75, High-Fructose Corn Syrup is 87, and Sugar is 80.

So the sugar in the Snickers has 3-4x more effect on our blood sugar than the sugar in the apple.

The gylcemic load figure takes into account the quantity consumed.
  • AgentOrangeJuice
    AgentOrangeJuice Posts: 1,069 Member
    Options
    Yeah they add sugar to salt to make bad salt taste better. :D
  • Lasmartchika
    Lasmartchika Posts: 3,440 Member
    Options
    Ok but why?

10 grams of apple sugar = 10 grams of candy bar sugar...

I just want to eat foods in there most natural state. I am a food addict and I gravitate to sugar, fat and salt. eating the way I have I dont eat a whole back for hershey kisses. This is just what I need to do to keep me on track. Like I said in my post I do it because it works for me.
    So, theoretically, chewing directly on the sugar cane would be fine for you, right? It's not the sugar, as sugar, it's just your philosophy?

cac3b1a.jpg?w=487

Mmmm... caña de azucar.... :yum:
  • DeguelloTex
    Options

Actually, I did. His question was "what is the difference between added sugar and natural sugar?". I first answered by pointing out it is impossible for a person to just get the sugar out of an apple and listed the things that come with it in the process of consuming the apple. Always nice to know the little added perks.

Then I moved on to discuss glycemic load, which I again I mistakenly referred to as the "index", which is a practical comparison. If we go to the glycemic index itself, we see it there as well. Note: The Glycemic Index compares things to Glucose which has as GI of 100. The sugar in an apple is pure fructose, which is has a low glycemic index of around 20-25. Corn syrup, as it is listed on the Snickers ingredient list provided by Mars, Inc., has a GI of 75, High-Fructose Corn Syrup is 87, and Sugar is 80.

So the sugar in the Snickers has 3-4x more effect on our blood sugar than the sugar in the apple.

The gylcemic load figure takes into account the quantity consumed.
    Repeating a poor answer doesn't make it any less poor.

Suppose it's early in the season and my strawberries haven't fully ripened, so they aren't as sweet and contain less sugar. I dip them in granulated sugar so that they contain exactly the same amount of sugar as fully ripened and sweetened strawberries will contain later in the season. What's the difference in the sugar -- I know you like to give non-responsive, evasive answers to that question, so I highlight it to help focus you -- between the two scenarios?
  • Crisseyda
    Crisseyda Posts: 532 Member
    Options

I cut out all processed foods and I dont eat anything with added sugar. I am not afraid of sugar I am just doing this because I want to. I eat foods that have sugar in them naturally. I have lost 27lbs since Feb 23rd but I count my calories daily and exercise as much as i can. I walk up hills for my workouts. I know lots of people would disagree with me about what I eat but It really works for ME.

what would be the difference between added and natural sugar, that makes you avoid one and eat the other?

foods with naturally occurring sugars like fruit usually mitigate the effects with fiber, chewing resistance, and satiating nutrients, making it more difficult to overconsume.

what is the difference between natural sugar and added sugar? If your answer is "fiber" then the answer is there is not a difference. Because I can eat added sugar and still consume fiber, or if I want I can eat fiber with my added sugar...

Finally, I was asking the other poster and you decided to jump in ...but please, continue.

My answer was "fiber, chewing resistance, and satiating nutrients," among other things, like water, for example...

Despite common misconceptions, we really don't know it all when it comes to nutrition. You can't substitute an apple for water, fiber supplement, vitamin, and some sugar. It's not that simple.

Eating foods with naturally occurring sugar is different from eating foods with added sugar in their effects on the body's complex physiology, hormonal balance, etc.

If you don't believe this, that's fine. Don't preach what works for you. Be humble and open-minded. Nobody knows it all. And if you know just a little bit, you're much more likely to think you know it all!
    Your answer about how the sugar was different was all about things other than, you know, sugar. He didn't ask how a spoonful of sugar was different from a handful of strawberries. You do understand how completely non-responsive your answer is, right?

Then he's fishing for something else. Let's just hear him preach it already.
  • DeguelloTex
    Options

Then he's fishing for something else. Let's just hear him preach it already.
    He's fishing for an answer to the question he asked, not the one you seem determined to answer. Your evasion tactic is at least as toxic as anything else in this thread.

• PeachyCarol
    Options

This is what so many of these people don't seem to understand. The chemical makeup of these sugars in each food is the same, so our bodies digest them the same way. Whether they like it or not, our bodies are just big ol' chemistry machines. Our bodies don't care whether the fructose came from a Coke or from an apple - the body just processes it, takes what it needs, and keeps on truckin'.

It's because they're spouting the anti-sugar gospel second hand instead of actually understanding digestion.

This discussion has been closed.