Facebook - A step too far?

Options
124»

Replies

• battyg13
    battyg13 Posts: 508 Member
    Options
    I deleted my Facebook account in Decemeber. Everyone in my town is predictable and dull. I got no use out of it and to be honest havent missed it or even thought about it. I dont bother with social media at all.
  • Illona88
    Illona88 Posts: 903 Member
    Options
    I don't do any sort of social media.
    If I want to talk to a friend, I'll pick up the phone.
    Or post on MFP....

Don't have friends on MFP. For the same reason.
    I check the forums for handy tips for weight loss and sometimes for boredom, but noone on my timeline.
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    I don't do any sort of social media.
    If I want to talk to a friend, I'll pick up the phone.
    I can't count how many people I lost touch with over the years who I found or they found me on FB. Before the Internet, it was difficult to keep up with friends who moved away. There's only so much time in a day to write letters and phone calls.

I've been able to get to know family members better who never lived close.

And it makes planning RL get-togethers easier.

You must have a small circle of friends and family who all live close by.
  • ruth3698
    ruth3698 Posts: 305 Member
    Options
    I'm ashamed to say that I used to be one of those who posted up all my drama for the world to see.I've thankfully grown up since then lol. I now just talk to myself on it and post a bunch of pics of my kiddos.As for drama on fb, as long as its not me, I grab my popcorn and settle in for the laughs.....I'm a horrible person....
  • Sylvitryinghard
    Sylvitryinghard Posts: 549 Member
    Options
    actually facebook is pissing me off and I recon I dont use it as much as I used to do....

its great to keep in touch with some friends and get informed about some stuff and so but yeah, in some points its "too much"
  • Sylvitryinghard
    Sylvitryinghard Posts: 549 Member
    Options
    I'm on facebook, but not very active at all. Someone else posted that it seems that not too many people are interested in what they have to say, and I feel the same way, but I think it's mainly because what I say is not snarky, I don't spend alot of money on things and brag about it, I don't travel that much-so no AMAZING stories to tell, I don't have any small kids, which means I'm not posting every time they lose a tooth, scrape a knee, or if they're bullied in school, and finally I don't post many pics.

Oh, and I think those people that post how perfect their lives are (in every post, multiple times a day), or "LML!!!" every chance they get are not as happy as they portray and are hiding something... :glasses:

totally agree
  • VeganLexi
    VeganLexi Posts: 960 Member
    Options
    :laugh:
  • fannyfrost
    fannyfrost Posts: 756 Member
    Options
    I'm on facebook and like many people made some of the typical mistakes. However, I am very careful what I post. I have a crazy friend and need to watch her too, but my name is semi anonymous, so you have to know its me. This is very helpful as it keeps away people I have no interest in talking to.

As for that page and poor AJ, people are stupid! Facebook isn't the problem, the problem is the people using it. Many people are vindictive or just stupid. My daughter's school the boys started a page with photos of girls from the school and saying rate them. The girls don't blame facebook, they blame the boys who were doing it. The school had the page taken down and were trying to find the boy who created it.

We also had a hate page taken down through a campaign of reporting.

So again Facebook is not the problem the problem is people.
  • hupsii
    hupsii Posts: 258 Member
    Options
    FB is too big
    Poor AJ isn't.

HAHAHA this is really funny
  • CrazyTrackLady
    CrazyTrackLady Posts: 1,337 Member
    Options
    I deleted my FB account when it started to damage some real life relationships. I have a "friend" who can be quite judgmental in her Christian beliefs and attitudes. It was hard for me to read her comments about Jews, our president, Democrats, homosexuals, gun laws, etc, without wanting to rip her a new one via FB. (I'm stubborn that way). She was a bit of a hypocrite, too. I hate hypocrisy.
    You got rid of FB to save a friendship with this horrible person?

That says more about you than it does about FB.

I'm not big friends with her either, to be honest. I just got tired of both.
  • jljshoe1979
    jljshoe1979 Posts: 325 Member
    Options
    I'm on facebook and like many people made some of the typical mistakes. However, I am very careful what I post. I have a crazy friend and need to watch her too, but my name is semi anonymous, so you have to know its me. This is very helpful as it keeps away people I have no interest in talking to.

As for that page and poor AJ, people are stupid! Facebook isn't the problem, the problem is the people using it. Many people are vindictive or just stupid. My daughter's school the boys started a page with photos of girls from the school and saying rate them. The girls don't blame facebook, they blame the boys who were doing it. The school had the page taken down and were trying to find the boy who created it.

We also had a hate page taken down through a campaign of reporting.

So again Facebook is not the problem the problem is people.

Totally agree - "the problem is the people [whether you know them or not] using it"!!!
  • LuLuChick78
    LuLuChick78 Posts: 439 Member
    Options
    My FB page is full of judgmental nosey people who read too much into everything I post. I would delete them but they are freinds and family and all have my phone number.

Yup, same here.

I "like" motivational and fitness related things and then I hear crap from immediate family members about me posting "nasty looking muscle girls" on fb. First of all, I did not post them, I "liked" them. Secondly, muscle is NOT nasty. Thirdly, Dana Linn Bailey is my woman crush and no one hates on her without feeling my wrath. :tongue:
  • VeganLexi
    VeganLexi Posts: 960 Member
    Options
    Old thread is old.