How to break a plateau

Options

Replies

• SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    so the OP has lost 2lbs a week and thinks she is at a plateau...

and someone has suggested low carb and another a cleanse...

The OP has directed someone off her thread...

almost bingo now.
  • ruggedshutter
    ruggedshutter Posts: 389 Member
    Options
    aidendart wrote: »
    I do a cleanse every year to help re-Kickstart. Usually vegetable juice or master cleanse. Works for me
    What are you cleansing, exactly?

Her colon...duh...lol ;D
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    OP if you are not losing that quickly look at your logging. You are eating more than you think.
  • MrsMKB
    MrsMKB Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    Honestly, why are some of you here? MFP is about learning and encouraging each other as we all strive toward similar goals, it is not about being an *kitten*. Find something useful to do with your time!
  • MrsMKB
    edited May 2015
    Options
    I do a cleanse every year to help re-Kickstart. Usually vegetable juice or master cleanse. Works for me

Thanks :) I'll look into this! I've never done a cleanse so it's all new to me!
  • DeguelloTex
    DeguelloTex Posts: 6,652 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    Being disabused of fallacies and fantasies are a couple of good ways to learn.

Also, it's interesting that the coarse language isn't filtered out when you quote it. I didn't know that.
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options

I'm actually here because I want accurate information and tips on how to lose weight. Encouragement can be great, but not in the context of spreading misinformation.

Countering myth and misinformation IS useful.
  • Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    Options
    you didn't plateau. your weight loss slowed down to normal.
  • MrsMKB
    Options
    Since March it's been less than half a pound a week... Definitely can do much better than that!
  • csmullins78
    csmullins78 Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    SezxyStef has a good point about logging. It might be helpful to make sure you are logging everything. Sometimes we eat more than we think and this could slow your weight loss.

Also, it might be helpful to take another look at your TDEE. With your weight loss, you might want to adjust your calorie goals to account for your weight loss. My understanding (and I'm no expert, so if anyone has better information, please set me right) is that your TDEE and BMR lower with weight loss. So, if you calculate your TDEE and then deduct 15-20%, you may need to be eating fewer calories than you eat now.
  • Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    Options
    ashNoak wrote: »
    Since March it's been less than half a pound a week... Definitely can do much better than that!

it's still not a plateau. a weight loss plateau is when your weight loss is stagnant. you are losing weight!!!

i understand you want to lose at the pace you were the first few months, but you can't. the initial weight loss was a combination of water weight and a general shock to your system. it's completely normal, but it does taper off.
  • snickerscharlie
    snickerscharlie Posts: 8,578 Member
    Options
    The Haribo Sugar Free Gummy Bear Cleanse is awesome!
  • coreyreichle
    coreyreichle Posts: 1,031 Member
    Options
    Hi again everyone!
    I started this healthy lifestyle journey on January 13th... within two months I was down 18+lbs... It's almost been two more months now, and I'm only down 21lbs... I'm starting to lose motivation because I feel like I'm not seeing anything happen anymore. My clothes all got too big and I had to buy new, they all still fit perfect (for those who want to comment on the fact that it's not all about numbers lol)

I'm interested in finding something I can do that will give me a little boost. No, I'm not a quick fix kind of girl and don't need lectures on that... But if I could just see a few pounds drop in a quick fix fashion it will give me the motivation I need to keep going hard :) ... Tomorrow I am going to start the 8:16 intermittent fasting and see if that helps. I am going to stick with my curent calorie goal for that which is 1230 (most days more like 1100-12)... I have young kids, and a back injury, so as much as I want to do more exercising, I do all that I can in that regard and I don't eat back any of the burned cals...
    Has anyone done a cleanse or something to get things kick started again to break such a long drawn plateau!?
    Thanks so much

Oh, I am 5'6... Starting weight 185, current weight 164.

Have no idea what to suggest, as your diary is closed. FWIW, your body does a fine job cleansing all on it's own.
  • coreyreichle
    Options
    Honestly, why are some of you here? MFP is about learning and encouraging each other as we all strive toward similar goals, it is not about being an *kitten*. Find something useful to do with your time!

Part of encouraging people towards their goals is steering people away from bad advice, such as annual cleanses, special fad diets (Cutting carbs), etc etc etc.

It is impossible to provide you any advice, because your diary is closed. Bottom line is if you are not losing as quickly as you think you should be, you are either over-estimating calorie burn, under-estimating calories consumed, or a combination of both. Pure and simple.

Weight loss, gain, and maintenance are very easy: Burn calories in relation to consume calories, to move you towards that.
  • MrsMKB
    Options
    The Haribo Sugar Free Gummy Bear Cleanse is awesome!

Hahahah
  • coreyreichle
    Options

it's still not a plateau. a weight loss plateau is when your weight loss is stagnant. you are losing weight!!!

i understand you want to lose at the pace you were the first few months, but you can't. the initial weight loss was a combination of water weight and a general shock to your system. it's completely normal, but it does taper off.

On this note, one way you can get "some" of the accelerated weight loss going again is to completely change up your fitness routine. ie, you're walking today? Swap it out for cycling. Running? Start swimming.

But, again, as your diary is closed, it's all crystal ball at this point. AFAIK, you're not exercising at all, and only changed your diet. Or, you're eating 10 bags of low-calorie popcorn per day. Who knows?
  • DeguelloTex
    DeguelloTex Posts: 6,652 Member
    Options

On this note, one way you can get "some" of the accelerated weight loss going again is to completely change up your fitness routine. ie, you're walking today? Swap it out for cycling. Running? Start swimming.
    How does that work, exactly?

• diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    Options
    A plateau is generally considered to be something like 6+ weeks with no change to the scale while keeping your routine consistent. I'm not sure why you've decided to attack those who are telling you that you aren't in a plateau, but they're right.

Other than that, the most common problems we see come from underestimating calories eaten and overestimating calories burned.

Opening your diary might help to get you more specific advice if you're comfortable doing so.

You're logging everything you eat? Including condiments, cooking oils, veggies, cheat days, etc? Are you using a food scale, measuring cups, or eyeballing your portion sizes? Most people can be off in their estimates by several hundred calories when they eyeball portions. Measuring cups are better, but a food scale is going to be the most accurate.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1234699-logging-accurately-step-by-step-guide
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1290491-how-and-why-to-use-a-digital-food-scale

And make sure that you've calculated your calorie goals appropriately. Remember that these are just estimates. You may need to play around a little to find what works best for you.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1080242-a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/819055-setting-your-calorie-and-macro-targets

If you're exercising and eating back your earned exercise calories, be sure that you're using accurate estimates of your burn. MFP and gym machines have a tendency to overestimate certain activities, which can cause you to eat back more calories than you need to. Even a heart rate monitor isn't 100% accurate. If you're eating those extra earned calories it might be a good idea to eat only 50-75% of those.

And there's something to be said for the fact that some people just burn fewer calories than the generic equations predict. If that's the case for you, you may need to adjust your calories a little lower until you start losing again.
  • ruggedshutter
    ruggedshutter Posts: 389 Member
    Options

But, again, as your diary is closed, it's all crystal ball at this point. AFAIK, you're not exercising at all, and only changed your diet. Or, you're eating 10 bags of low-calorie popcorn per day. Who knows?

For most people, when you change your exercise routine you tend to stall your weight loss due to water retention. Just FYI...
  • fatcity66
    fatcity66 Posts: 1,544 Member
    Options

Thanks :) I'll look into this! I've never done a cleanse so it's all new to me!

Cleanses do nothing. Honestly, you are paying attention to all the wrong posts in this thread.