How to break a plateau

Options

Replies

• LaurieJ68
    LaurieJ68 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    When people disagree with what you are doing, it doesn't mean they are negative. It might mean they disagree. Good luck. And, the majority of the "negative comments" are right on and you should listen to them and do research.

If you prefer people lying to you, agreeing with stuff that is lame, like cleanses, and telling you what you want to hear, you'll never learn and grow. Embrace people that challenge your beliefs. Google is an amazing tool for finding the truth about these things.

It's not that it's a problem if people disagree. It's THE WAY they disagree that is many times degrading and mean. Telling people they are stupid and childish. This is why I avoid the forums most of the time. Constructive help is great but people making statements that are meant to make people feel stupid or bad about the things they might try just to inflate their own egos is the problem. Enjoy your forums and your drama. I am done here. Good luck to those who are just looking for help. I truly hope you reach your goals! Don't let these people deflate your self-esteem. And those that are the PROBLEM you don't need to reply to my "childish" "trash-talk" because I won't be listening.
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    LaurieJ68 wrote: »
    When people disagree with what you are doing, it doesn't mean they are negative. It might mean they disagree. Good luck. And, the majority of the "negative comments" are right on and you should listen to them and do research.

If you prefer people lying to you, agreeing with stuff that is lame, like cleanses, and telling you what you want to hear, you'll never learn and grow. Embrace people that challenge your beliefs. Google is an amazing tool for finding the truth about these things.

It's not that it's a problem if people disagree. It's THE WAY they disagree that is many times degrading and mean. Telling people they are stupid and childish. This is why I avoid the forums most of the time. Constructive help is great but people making statements that are meant to make people feel stupid or bad about the things they might try just to inflate their own egos is the problem. Enjoy your forums and your drama. I am done here. Good luck to those who are just looking for help. I truly hope you reach your goals! Don't let these people deflate your self-esteem. And those that are the PROBLEM you don't need to reply to my "childish" "trash-talk" because I won't be listening.

Because nothing says "I'm a rational adult" like a flounce.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,404 MFP Moderator
    Options
    You could try going low carb for a week. Low carb diets are known for quick initial weight loss. It would definitely give you the quick boost that you need.

Going low carb will deplete glycogen/water which is why you lose weight quickly. If you did that for two weeks and then start back at your original carb level, glycogen would be restored to previous levels and so would your weight. It would be a net wash. Really the only reason to do something like that would be for an event.
  • diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    Options

^This right here is exactly why so many helpful posters end up leaving the boards or resorting to gif parties. I'm sick to death of being called negative/mean/bully/troll/childish/etc. for trying to provide accurate and helpful advice and trying to counter all of the same misinformation that I fell for when I was starting out.

• Sandikc101455
    Sandikc101455 Posts: 565 Member
    Options
    I noticed comments that reducing carbs would be a good way of speeding up a slow gain. I agree with this in most cases, but she already said she almost doubles her daily protein most days. To me, that indicates possibly too few carbs. My ratios of carb/protein/fat are 50/30/20. If I were to double my protein and stay the same on calories, there would not be room for much carbs. Unless you have a condition that requires a severely low carb diet, I would actually increase the carbs and lower the protein.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,404 MFP Moderator
    Options
    I noticed comments that reducing carbs would be a good way of speeding up a slow gain. I agree with this in most cases, but she already said she almost doubles her daily protein most days. To me, that indicates possibly too few carbs. My ratios of carb/protein/fat are 50/30/20. If I were to double my protein and stay the same on calories, there would not be room for much carbs. Unless you have a condition that requires a severely low carb diet, I would actually increase the carbs and lower the protein.

Generally, the biggest programs are logging accuracy and consistency to why people stop losing weight. Once we can address those issues, then calories/macros can be looked at too.

Also, OP, do you use a food scale?
  • DeterminedFee201426
    DeterminedFee201426 Posts: 859 Member
    Options
  • rushfive
    rushfive Posts: 603 Member
    Options

^This right here is exactly why so many helpful posters end up leaving the boards or resorting to gif parties. I'm sick to death of being called negative/mean/bully/troll/childish/etc. for trying to provide accurate and helpful advice and trying to counter all of the same misinformation that I fell for when I was starting out.

This reminds me of the one posting about mean people, but she was THANKING them for pointing her in the right direction, avoiding all the gimmicks. So Awesome.
  • PeachyCarol
    PeachyCarol Posts: 8,029 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    Here, I think this is the thread. OP, read this. The people who you are dismissing in this thread are offering the most constructive advice.

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/1088600/dear-mean-people-of-mfp/p1

Please open your diary so you can get some real help.
  • auntstephie321
    auntstephie321 Posts: 3,586 Member
    Options
    @ashnoak You and I sound to be about similar in size. I've gone through weight loss and gain in the past and I can tell you around the 160 mark, for whatever reason my weight loss significantly slows or stops, I've been at 160-161 for about two weeks now. I know that's not the same as the 3 lbs in 2 months that you are experiencing, But in my mind its similar.

In the past I would get so discouraged and stop logging and I'd stay around 160 for a while then the lbs I had lost would come back and I would start again.

The best thing you can do is keep doing what you are doing! If you are certain about your caloric intake still creating a deficit (you might actually want to look at increasing a little, even though you don't exercise, taking care of children makes you more active). If you are uncertain, make sure you are weighing everything and logging accurately. (open your diary so others can offer advice)

But please don't give up, try to be patient, it will be worth it. From experience, you will get past it and reach your goal. Once I learned to stop quitting when I was discouraged I was able to get to my goal of 135. (keeping it off was a whole other story, and likely why many people are still on here for years after weight loss)

FWIW I do eat low carb and my weight loss in the beginning was quick and like I said has slowed tremendously. Anytime you change from eating whatever whenever to a balanced approach with more protein, fruits, vegetables, etc you are going to lose some water weight and in the beginning it is very encouraging. Try to just keep focused on what you are doing, you will get there.

• MRivera422
    MRivera422 Posts: 62 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    Generally, the biggest programs are logging accuracy and consistency to why people stop losing weight. Once we can address those issues, then calories/macros can be looked at too.

Also, OP, do you use a food scale?

THIS^
    Just make sure everything you are logging is accurate. I have been using MFP about the same amount of time you have and I have lost 40 pounds so far. Most of my weight loss was early like you. A little over a month ago i started losing 2 pounds a week consistantly. I had a few weeks where I didnt lose the 2 pounds and I looked through my diary to see if there is anything that I possibly didnt log right. Accuracy is key! Good luck on your weight loss journey and ignore the trolls :-)
  • californiagirl2012
    californiagirl2012 Posts: 2,625 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    It happens in random "chunks" and not in a linear fashion. For the most part you have to keep going and focus on the process. The body is made up of so much more than fat cells and muscle tissues. Just the liver organ alone can fluctuate 3 pounds in one day doing it's thing.

Also the smaller we are the slower it will be, and the rate of loss slows down the leaner we get.

Patience and trusting the process.

The same process you used when it was "working" will still work if you keep going with it. Unless you changed your diet or how you measure your diet, it will continue to work.

The only other thing is that when you get within a few inches of your waist size/ body weight range you won't be able to eat as low of a deficit because your body does not have as much fat reserve energy to draw from.

16440072.png
  • wonko221
    wonko221 Posts: 292 Member
    Options
    One way your body shores itself up against unhealthy eating habits that lead to weight gain is by retaining water. A bunch of water.

A lot of people loose weight rapidly once they start eating healthy. I lost about 15 pounds in a couple weeks, with significant changes to my body shape. This was primarily just from my body flushing retained water.

If you look at your weight loss as 18 lbs in two months, and 3 lbs in the 3rd, it sure sounds like you've plateaued. But if you realize that most of that initial 18 lbs was water weight, and that loss cannot be sustained, you've probably actually been losing fat steadily.

Stick to it. Pay attention to your body, the fit of your clothes, how you feel. The numbers on the scale are useful for trends, but there is enough fluctuation in daily routines that it can drive you nuts if you focus too much on that one numbers.
  • BWBTrish
    BWBTrish Posts: 2,817 Member
    Options
    A plateau is nothing else than "you eat at maintenance level"
    That's all

Most people who dont lose weight anymore start looking at the intake and they get more accurate ( on purpose or not) than they start losing weight the have something like Yes i broke the plateau.
    But the formula is still the same, because they got more accurate their deficit is there again and they start losing weight.

All you need is a deficit that's all.
    Now when you are losing weight your deficit gets smaller over time when you lose weight. Till the point you are very close to maintenance....your weight loss slows down over time when you keep all your numbers exactly the same ( exercise and your daily calorie intake) Now this is of course impossible to have them always every day the same. But about.

The first fast losing is because of water weight and your deficit is bigger when you start out.
    Now when you weigh all your food on a food scale ( not measure with cups because this is highly inaccurate, watch this short video which shows that measuring your food adds hundreds of calories to your daily menu. While you think you eat less. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JVjWPclrWVY )
    and create your deficit.
    When you do exercise only eat 25% to 75% back from the burned calories.

And you will lose weight. Maybe slower over time because you are getting closer and closer to a healthy weight. But you will lose.

Keep this in mind:

* Weight loss = eating less calories than you burn
    * Plateau/maintenance = eating the same calories as you burn
    * Weight gain = eating more than you burn

The rate you lose/gain depends on your age, how tall you are, activity level, how much you have to lose, or a medical condition.
    But the science is for everybody the same only the above factors have impact how fast/slow and how many you lose or gain.

In short this means "you eat more than you think" tighten up your logging and be more accurate.
  • mandykent111
    mandykent111 Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    I hit a plateau a while back and started taking Liporidex Max http://www.amazon.com/Best-Weight-Loss-Supplements-Suppressants/dp/B002GFCCVW/ref=cm_cr_pr_product_top?ie=UTF8 to help get me back on track. It was exactly what I needed, but seems like you are still doing well. I would love to lose that amount of weight! I have also increase my protein intake and try to eat small healthy meals every 3 hours or so. Good luck! If I can overcome a plateau anyone can.
  • IsaackGMOON
    IsaackGMOON Posts: 3,358 Member
    Options
    You could try going low carb for a week. Low carb diets are known for quick initial weight loss. It would definitely give you the quick boost that you need.

Who told you this?

Low carb diets make you lose water weight fast; low carbing doesn't make you lose fat any faster.

Please do your research before you spewww stuff on the forums.
  • coreyreichle
    coreyreichle Posts: 1,031 Member
    Options

Who told you this?

Low carb diets make you lose water weight fast; low carbing doesn't make you lose fat any faster.

Please do your research before you spewww stuff on the forums.

But, it's broscience, brah!