Whats up with the unfriendly pple in MFP???

Options

Replies

• Joehenny
    Joehenny Posts: 1,222 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone,

I have recently started my weight loss journey (5 days) and I signed up with MFP from the beginning. As you might have experienced the first weeks are the worst but I'm still happy to be doing this. I find MFP very helpful and I love reading through "success stories" but its such a turn off to encounter some posts where it says "DO NOT COMMENT ON THIS CHALLENGE UNLESS YOU ARE PART OF THE 100 PEOPLE THAT ARE ALREADY PART OF THE GROUP. " or do not add/msge if you don't know me. Are we back to highschool??? I thought we're here to support each other with our weight loss challenges!!! Anyway, I would love to get some support.

Ignore the **** heads
  • cwilliams080676
    cwilliams080676 Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    Ignore it. I do. :)
  • KristyAnn81
    KristyAnn81 Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    Everything in life is a toss up, and those people will always be everywhere. I was turned off from the forums for a while at first because of it, but you find the nice people in there too :)

If you want to add me, I'm on every day and am very supportive and I'm not mean! LOL....
  • cwilliams080676
    cwilliams080676 Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    Stick to the "success" board, that's just about the only one where the usual BS does not occur. Otherwise, MFP forums are not unique from any other internet forums where people can (and do) post whatever they please. You'll notice that the same few dozen people make most of the posts, and should you dare to disagree with one of these few dozen, prepare to get reamed.

You cannot control others, you can only control yourself. It's great that you're doing this, and also great that you're reaching out for support. However, I'd stay away from the forums if you feel like negativity is going to affect your motivation.

Best of luck to you!
    Wise advice
  • trinitylyons01
    trinitylyons01 Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    Sorry about the negative experience. I often see so many rude and insensitive posts, which really pisses me off. But then I remember I am on a site with human beings who have their own opinions and think it is their right to share them and I must adhere! LOL

Basically, what I am saying is no matter where you are or what you are doing you will encounter negative, rude people who cannot seem to be able to interact with others respectfully. (Yet these are the people who often have the most to say!) :laugh: Sometimes I will comment when a person is rude because I can't stand to see others disrespected. Most of the time, however, I realize people are who they are and they probably won't change because someone tells them they are rude. So, I ignore them! Period! You will find that a lot here so just try to move past it and ignore it.

The GOOD thing is there are SO many kind, supportive and encouraging people here that they make up for the others! Good luck to you on your weight loss journey! WE CAN DO THIS! :smile:
  • stacetherainbow
    Options
    It's honestly the nature of the internet. The best thing you can do is click the little arrow next to their username and select "Ignore user".
    Learned something new today. Thanks!
  • Maggie1moo
    Maggie1moo Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    Yeah i totally get what your saying... Some people need to eat more lol getting to hungry aint obviously goodfor them..
    We ain all like that though :)
    Hi everyone,

I have recently started my weight loss journey (5 days) and I signed up with MFP from the beginning. As you might have experienced the first weeks are the worst but I'm still happy to be doing this. I find MFP very helpful and I love reading through "success stories" but its such a turn off to encounter some posts where it says "DO NOT COMMENT ON THIS CHALLENGE UNLESS YOU ARE PART OF THE 100 PEOPLE THAT ARE ALREADY PART OF THE GROUP. " or do not add/msge if you don't know me. Are we back to highschool??? I thought we're here to support each other with our weight loss challenges!!! Anyway, I would love to get some support.
  • ReadyToShine
    Options
    I will add anyone! I love the support and I like to get to know people. You can never have too many friends. If you want to add me be my guest!
  • shortie_sarah
    shortie_sarah Posts: 177 Member
    Options
    Yeah some people can get mean. I commented on a post to try and help someone and someone jumped in saying how wrong I was and its all off even though what i said made me loose 20 lbs and my trainer told me it lol. Its really annoying but I just brush it off cause no matter what they're gunna be b*tchy :/

Been there a few times myself... I've learned to just keep my mouth (or fingers..lol) shut for the most part. It's sad though because I feel like those people took away my right to speak what I feel is right..
  • MizAngie
    MizAngie Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    It's honestly the nature of the internet. The best thing you can do is click the little arrow next to their username and select "Ignore user".

oooo I didn't know you could do that...(rubbing hands together-gleefully)
  • Melissa11412
    Melissa11412 Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    Maybe it is the lack of food and people are just hangry :(

lol this

and to those that are "soooo tired" of replying to the same questions over and over andoverrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr....

why do you reply then?? just don't, we won't miss ya :laugh:
  • kelly101386
    kelly101386 Posts: 389 Member
    Options
    There are rude people on here, but at least there are many who combat that. I just tune it all out :)
  • RGv2
    RGv2 Posts: 5,789 Member
    Options
    Yeah some people can get mean. I commented on a post to try and help someone and someone jumped in saying how wrong I was and its all off even though what i said made me loose 20 lbs and my trainer told me it lol. Its really annoying but I just brush it off cause no matter what they're gunna be b*tchy :/

Been there a few times myself... I've learned to just keep my mouth (or fingers..lol) shut for the most part. It's sad though because I feel like those people took away my right to speak what I feel is right..

So, people can't have differing opinions?
  • contingencyplan
    contingencyplan Posts: 3,639 Member
    Options
    Regarding the challenge groups, more often than not they are actually disguised salespitches by sales reps from multi level marketing companies such as Beachbody and Body By Vi.
  • neandermagnon
    neandermagnon Posts: 7,436 Member
    Options

Agreed. Just ignore people if you don't like it.

You've got to realize too a lot of us are asked the same questions by new people day in and day out with them checking the threads for similar questions. It gets tiring on us too, you know. Also the amount of people who post things like "magic diet, does this really work?" "why can't i lose weight when I eat 1200 calories?", "lifting is going to make me look manly!". All myths, and some people don't research. Hence leaving us who have been here a while to just repeat ourselves constantly.

I also rarely add people unless they attach a message to their friends request. I already have a lot of support, and I feel if my story is similar to someone's or if they can relate to me or have questions for me then they'll let me know. I'm not in this for popularity, like a lot of people are it seems. I have a good amount of friends and I do ok, but some people add like 600 friends and try and keeping up with everyone is a nightmare. Just my opinion, anyways. I actually check my friends food logs, and comment and give them support. That's hard to do with 600 people.

^^^ all of this (although I do add people who don't put a message in a friend request... but it baffles me somewhat if someone with a closed profile sends me a blank friend request.... you have no information about them at all....)

Also, usually when someone disagrees with someone, they're not doing to to be mean or bossy, they're doing it because they're trying to help. If they're wrong, you can just ignore their advice. Or you can go look it up elsewhere and check. Or you may realise that actually they're right. But whether or not they're actually right, the intention is usually to help and advise. If people wanted to be mean deliberately, they can do a lot worse than simply disagreeing with or correcting someone on a forum....
  • shaleyn
    shaleyn Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    Maybe not everyone wants to be friends with people they don't know... (not me, but ya know, to each their own), and as far as challenges go, why would you want to jump into one that's halfway finished or something? Neither of those scenarios says unfriendly, just maybe more direct than you like.
  • greenmonstergirl
    greenmonstergirl Posts: 619 Member
    Options

So, people can't have differing opinions?

Of course people can but it seems to turn into a fight on here among people with differing opinions. Why not state an opinion and move on? Instead lots jump the person and state they are wrong with no links to studys done by noteworthy people to back it up.
    This site should be about supporting each other instead of tearing each other down.
  • iulia_maddie
    iulia_maddie Posts: 2,780 Member
    Options
    I get that feeling here as well. Some people think that everyone has to do things they way they do it or they're wrong. Wish they had an ignore button.

There is an ignore button. I genuinely wish people would start using that more, instead of starting threads to let everyone know that they have been offended.
  • BeachIron
    BeachIron Posts: 6,490 Member
    Options
    Oh good, another thread noting that we're all here for the same reason and raging about the meanies.

Let me let you in on a little secret, we're not all here for the same reason. I'm here to find other people who train hard, watch their diets, and don't whine. That and to trade information with other people who are serious about their routines, and the constant laughs at the derp.

Other people are here to troll. Others are here to gain weight as they're suffering from EDs. Get used to it.
  • TX_Aggie_Dad
    TX_Aggie_Dad Posts: 173
    Options
    I do think there is a bit of frustration for those that have been around awhile. I also think each person has their own hot button that just sets them off. I don't have problems with people asking questions regardless of how simple they may be but some users can't handle those questions over and over. I do have a problem with people that come on here looking for others to support their bad excuses for not losing weight. That doesn't seem to bother others but it sets me off. All said and done - it is the internet so there is general lack of sensitivity and manners.