Whats up with the unfriendly pple in MFP???

Options

Replies

• Breizier
    Breizier Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    It's honestly the nature of the internet. The best thing you can do is click the little arrow next to their username and select "Ignore user".

Thanks for this bit of advice, I'd seen the arrow but never clicked on it.
    One commentator on a question of mine had my child in tears because of the personal attacks. so thanks again.
  • RGv2
    RGv2 Posts: 5,789 Member
    Options
    Yeah some people can get mean. I commented on a post to try and help someone and someone jumped in saying how wrong I was and its all off even though what i said made me loose 20 lbs and my trainer told me it lol. Its really annoying but I just brush it off cause no matter what they're gunna be b*tchy :/

Been there a few times myself... I've learned to just keep my mouth (or fingers..lol) shut for the most part. It's sad though because I feel like those people took away my right to speak what I feel is right..

So, people can't have differing opinions?

Of course people can but it seems to turn into a fight on here among people with differing opinions. Why not state an opinion and move on? Instead lots jump the person and state they are wrong with no links to studys done by noteworthy people to back it up.
    This site should be about supporting each other instead of tearing each other down.

Isn't supporting people trying to get them the best information?

Why do they need to "move on"? It's a message board, right? (And BTW, one of the tamest message boards I've ever seen). :bigsmile:
  • RGv2
    Options
    I do think there is a bit of frustration for those that have been around awhile. I also think each person has their own hot button that just sets them off. I don't have problems with people asking questions regardless of how simple they may be but some users can't handle those questions over and over. I do have a problem with people that come on here looking for others to support their bad excuses for not losing weight. That doesn't seem to bother others but it sets me off. All said and done - it is the internet so there is general lack of sensitivity and manners.

^^QFT.

Just today there were two or three threads asking why I gained 2 lbs in the past month after changing my routine, and no less than 2 replies stating "muscle mass gains".
  • Alissakae
    Alissakae Posts: 317 Member
    Options
    Maybe it is the lack of food and people are just hangry :(

Ha ha. Probably.
  • londonboyben
    londonboyben Posts: 314 Member
    Options
    not been a member long (about a week) but personally have only taken the good stuff from the site, love the success stories and the little words of encouragement on my wall, and the *****y\competitive stuff i just ignore really,
    have only been disappointed by one comment on anything i wrote and just disagreed with it and moved on,

as for the friend requests with no messages, dont think its rude (and not a rule of mine) but i do understand it, gives an instant connection to who has requested rather than just accepting everyone,

no denying if you look for support its here for everyone,
    take from the site all that you want too and ignore the stuff that seems unfriendly :)
  • nolanerinbryon
    nolanerinbryon Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    Remember that all of our different beliefs about weight loss and how to do it are all coming together in one place. You have to do what is best for you and your body. You can certainly take help from anyone, but those with strong beliefs about how things work for them are often expressed in full here!!

Find the positive people and friend them, and then they become your little community here on MFP. There are literally 100s of different theories out there in the health/nutrition world and there is NO right or wrong way. There is only the way that works best for YOU and YOUR specific situation.

You will find lots of inspiration here and many who will give opinions without getting nasty! Stick to what you know is right for you and you will do great!

Good luck in your journey!!

I couldn't agree more.....I'm happy to support/cheer others on... friend me if you'd like :)
  • JudieJudes
    JudieJudes Posts: 174 Member
    Options
    When people have low blood sugars they can get cranky & mean spirited :tongue:
  • shortie_sarah
    shortie_sarah Posts: 177 Member
    Options
    You've got to realize too a lot of us are asked the same questions by new people day in and day out with them checking the threads for similar questions. It gets tiring on us too, you know. Also the amount of people who post things like "magic diet, does this really work?" "why can't i lose weight when I eat 1200 calories?", "lifting is going to make me look manly!". All myths, and some people don't research. Hence leaving us who have been here a while to just repeat ourselves constantly.

Um, if you're tired of repeating yourself... then don't do it. Problem solved. However... shouldn't you want to encourage people and pass on the knowledge that you have learned on your journey?
  • NicoleFray
    NicoleFray Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    Yeah some people can get mean. I commented on a post to try and help someone and someone jumped in saying how wrong I was and its all off even though what i said made me loose 20 lbs and my trainer told me it lol. Its really annoying but I just brush it off cause no matter what they're gunna be b*tchy :/

Been there a few times myself... I've learned to just keep my mouth (or fingers..lol) shut for the most part. It's sad though because I feel like those people took away my right to speak what I feel is right..

Exactly, its annoying. Some guy just did it again to us..
    I don't get why you cant just say what you want and if someone doesn't agree then just dont comment on it or ignore it! :)
  • tinak33
    tinak33 Posts: 9,883 Member
    Options

I agree that some people can be mean, but I checked that posting and they weren't being mean or b*tchy. They were telling you what's healthy. (I'm assuming you are talking about this post: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1011197-to-eat-or-not-to-eat-that-is-my-question) They also explained why they said what they said.
    They didn't say "oh you're dumb". THAT is mean and rude and uncalled for. They didn't say that because they don't think that. They think you may have been misguided. And they want to help. :flowerforyou:

There are lots of unfriendly people on here.
    But there are a lot of friendly and super helpful people on here too that get mistaken for unfriendly because they are brutally honest when answering questions. They have been in many situations that other newer people ask about, and they want newer people to not deal with all the BS they went through. So they give the straightforward blunt truth which often gets mistaken for bullying, being mean, rudeness, etc... They are also quick to correct things when someone gives out false information. Something that also gets mistaken for rudeness, etc...

Thing is, if they keep being called rude and mean, they will eventually stop helping. And I dread that day.... :frown:
  • RGv2
    Options

Exactly, its annoying. Some guy just did it again to us..
    I don't get why you cant just say what you want and if someone doesn't agree then just dont comment on it or ignore it! :)

Asked a queston?

Whatever...good luck.
  • rbn_held
    rbn_held Posts: 678 Member
    Options
    Most of the people on here can be very helpful, but you do have a few rude ones (a couple left comments on here already) that don't know that if they don't have anything nice to say then don't say anything at all. You will also find your know it all's that tell you that if you don't do things the way they do that it's not the right way. Just ignore them. Stick with the positive people and ingore the negatime ones.
  • Saucy_lil_Minx
    Saucy_lil_Minx Posts: 3,302 Member
    Options
    Well, you don't really know ME but know I support YOU!!!!!

I just turn "negative" people on "OFF" and stick with those that are positive.

Keep your eye on your goal and know there are others out there, just like you, who are doing the same thing.

Onward!

Totally This, and know what worked for one may not work for another. Do what works for you, and don't be afraid to suggest maybe you will think of something, or express something someone else may not be able to put in words
  • CorvusCorax77
    CorvusCorax77 Posts: 2,536 Member
    Options
    I think if you are really that bothered by a thread that is about a challenge asking only the members who signed up for the challenge to comment, then you need to chillax. That's not being rude- that's trying to keep the thread on the topic of the thread. That being said, some things on MFP are rude....

MFP has some unsavory characters. It's the internet. It's where people can hide behind little avatars and act out.

Still, you will find support here and you will make friends. It's a great place to be. Don't let anyone rubbing you wrong steer you off your course!
  • Contrarian
    Contrarian Posts: 8,138 Member
    Options
    I think people here are nice.
  • LiftAllThePizzas
    LiftAllThePizzas Posts: 17,857 Member
    Options
    When people are mean, report them by holding the Alt key and then press F4, and that'll bring up the report window.
  • BeachIron
    BeachIron Posts: 6,490 Member
    Options

I agree that some people can be mean, but I checked that posting and they weren't being mean or b*tchy. They were telling you what's healthy. (I'm assuming you are talking about this post: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1011197-to-eat-or-not-to-eat-that-is-my-question) They also explained why they said what they said.
    They didn't say "oh you're dumb". THAT is mean and rude and uncalled for. They didn't say that because they don't think that. They think you may have been misguided. And they want to help. :flowerforyou:

But there are a lot of friendly and super helpful people on here too that get mistaken for unfriendly because they are brutally honest when answering questions. They have been in many situations that other newer people ask about, and they want newer people to not deal with all the BS they went through. So they give the straightforward blunt truth which often gets mistaken for bullying, being mean, rudeness, etc... They are also quick to correct things when someone gives out false information. Something that also gets mistaken for rudeness, etc...

Thing is, if they keep being called rude and mean, they will eventually stop helping. And I dread that day.... :frown:

Oh. Of course. From what I've seen, the meanie threads, and their supporters, are related to a prior post where the OP was given solid information, albeit without too much handholding. smh
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options
    In...

...to remind everyone that...

...everyone is different and they have to find what works for them...

...and that we're all here for the same reason.
  • NicoleFray
    NicoleFray Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    lmao. wow.
  • RGv2
    Options

Oh. Of course. From what I've seen, the meanie threads, and their supporters, are related to a prior post where the OP was given solid information, albeit without too much handholding. smh

Careful....