Skinny fat- calorie surplus?

Options
1235»

Replies

• reachingforarainbow
    reachingforarainbow Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    Okay, so I don't think OP should have come to MFP for advice as their issues are individual. For all of you extremely ignorant people. Yes, it is possible for someone to lose weight on 3k-4k a day. Yes the OP also should be eating way more protein. There are definitely conditions which make people burn through calories/not absorb them. As the OP mentioned, they worked at an ED unit, which leads me to believe that a possible issue they had was an ED, they might have a hypermetabolism after the fact. If you don't believe me, here is an article: http://www.scienceofeds.org/2014/05/07/hypermetabolism-in-anorexia-nervosa/
    People with COPD: http://www.webmd.com/lung/copd/the-unplanned-weight-loss-spiral

Those are just some examples. Now , I know that the majority of people like to speak to things they don't know about. CICO works for most, but not all. OP, go get some real advice.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    Okay, so I don't think OP should have come to MFP for advice as their issues are individual. For all of you extremely ignorant people. Yes, it is possible for someone to lose weight on 3k-4k a day. Yes the OP also should be eating way more protein. There are definitely conditions which make people burn through calories/not absorb them. As the OP mentioned, they worked at an ED unit, which leads me to believe that a possible issue they had was an ED, they might have a hypermetabolism after the fact. If you don't believe me, here is an article: http://www.scienceofeds.org/2014/05/07/hypermetabolism-in-anorexia-nervosa/
    People with COPD: http://www.webmd.com/lung/copd/the-unplanned-weight-loss-spiral

Those are just some examples. Now , I know that the majority of people like to speak to things they don't know about. CICO works for most, but not all. OP, go get some real advice.

so you believe that a 127 pound female will not gain weight on 3000 to 4000 calories a day???

• PeachyCarol
    PeachyCarol Posts: 8,029 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options

You do know, don't you, that when addressing a problem, it's best to eliminate the most obvious, likely, and simple solutions before moving on to more complex, less likely ones?

So, um, yeah. She's not providing any proof of her intake, and MOST of the time, issues like this revolve around tracking intake properly. END OF. Once that can be eliminated as the source of the issue, it's logical to investigate further.

People who are genuinely interested in help are usually only to eager to provide information and don't get defensive. Those who get defensive? Well, experienced posters here know what's going on with them. It's not what you're thinking.

Save your vitriol.

• KingoftheLilies
    KingoftheLilies Posts: 71 Member
    Options

Classic case of rushing to amputate the leg for a graze on the knee.
  • BicepsAndBows
    BicepsAndBows Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    "Skinny fat"? I mean really. You say you worked at an eating disorder clinic and yet you choose to use this term in the title of your post? You should know better than that.
  • TheVirgoddess
    TheVirgoddess Posts: 4,535 Member
    Options
    rabbitjb wrote: »
    I can't even begin to fathom how somebody can eat only 80g protein (320 calories) and manage to achieve 3600 calories intake a day

I just can't ...please OP can you list just one days food so I can get my head around it

I'm still stuck here, too.
  • debrag12
    debrag12 Posts: 1,071 Member
    Options
    SezxyStef wrote: »
    acorsaut89 wrote: »
    I don't appreciate being made fun of and attacked. Also, why are you trying to make me feel stupid and assuming I am lying or not counting correctly. I came here for helpful, general advice and instead I am being laughed at and given joking responses. Who are you to assume I'm not counting correctly and/or lying? I was put on a high calorie/high salt diet by my cardiologist and was wondering if it should be increased now that I'm working out. I will just ask him because it seems this post is full of jealousy and rude people.

So unless you were eating like zero sodium before, I have never heard of a cardiologist putting anyone on a high salt diet since high amounts of sodium are bad for the heart (and the rest of your body).

Also a cardiologist only knows about your heart . . . why would he/she be putting you on any kind of a diet? I would think you'd want to consult a nutritionist or dietician or someone who specializes in this. If you want a bypass or had a heart attack previously, sure see a cardiologist . . . but for nutrition? It's just not their speciality.

Isn't Dr Oz a cardiologist......

He knows jack *kitten*, his show is a joke
  • Sephixteeo
    Sephixteeo Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    I'm 1/2 an inch taller than OP and my weight is almost the same, started in March at 133 and am 127-128 now. I'm eating on average 1400 a day and losing .5-.75 a week. So maintenance would probably be 1800 or so. I can't imagine what 3k-4k would do to me.

I also eat a bit more sodium due to lower blood pressure.

In short, if it's a real post, talk to your doctor. Something isn't right, but I definitely wouldn't increase calories (macros, since that is what you said you're counting) until I noticed a trend for a while. Sounds like your weight would drop rather quickly at that rate.

• blankiefinder
    blankiefinder Posts: 3,599 Member
    Options
    I can't even begin to fathom how somebody can eat only 80g protein (320 calories) and manage to achieve 3600 calories intake a day

I just can't ...please OP can you list just one days food so I can get my head around it

I third this, it boggles my mind, but you know, I think I'd like to try it for a day! Visions of plate after plate of dessert are running through my head :grin: Brownies, fudge, cupcakes, cake, unlimited nutella... omg!!

If the OP is in recovery from an ED she should have mentioned that in the OP to get relevant help.

Regardless, the only way to get help is to start by getting an accurate current calorie intake by using a food scale and logging accurately, then gradually start to increase calorie intake. No one here can help someone who refuses to help themselves.
  • MonsoonStorm
    MonsoonStorm Posts: 371 Member
    Options
    acorsaut89 wrote: »
    I don't appreciate being made fun of and attacked. Also, why are you trying to make me feel stupid and assuming I am lying or not counting correctly. I came here for helpful, general advice and instead I am being laughed at and given joking responses. Who are you to assume I'm not counting correctly and/or lying? I was put on a high calorie/high salt diet by my cardiologist and was wondering if it should be increased now that I'm working out. I will just ask him because it seems this post is full of jealousy and rude people.

I have never heard of a cardiologist putting anyone on a high salt diet since high amounts of sodium are bad for the heart (and the rest of your body).

Also a cardiologist only knows about your heart . . . why would he/she be putting you on any kind of a diet? I would think you'd want to consult a nutritionist or dietician or someone who specializes in this. If you want a bypass or had a heart attack previously, sure see a cardiologist . . . but for nutrition? It's just not their speciality.

I've actually been advised to eat more salt because I have low blood pressure. It's not unheard of.
  • NekoneMeowMixx
    NekoneMeowMixx Posts: 410 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    ceoverturf wrote: »
    Stef I think you have a jealousy problem. I'm sorry you have to work so hard to burn calories and I don't. Again, I worked at an eating disorder clinic and have a BS in biology where I took a nutrition course. I am well aware of how calories work and how to track them. I was simply asking if I should increase them due to being more active. I will be asking my doctor instead since he is the one who suggested the diet I am on. Good luck to you all on your weight loss journey!

Why are you so hesitant to tell us an example of your 3600 calorie per day menu?

I mean, if I can find a way to stuff that much food in my face a day and lose weight, I really want to know.

What he said... I mean, if that's legitimately happening, I need to know how...

Also, OP I'm virtually the same size as you (5 foot 6; 130 - 135 pounds, depending on the day) and I eat 1600 to 1800 calories a day and I lose maybe half a pound a week... I do weightlifting 3 days a week, then HIIT and cardio 2 days a week, rest day, and hot yoga on alternating Sundays.

Judging by the fact that you flew the coop a long time ago, I'm going to assume this was an intentional troll post (because I seriously hope you're not THAT ignorant). I've had my share of disagreements with folks in the message boards, but once I opened my eyes and mind to what they were saying (because they DO have a better chance to know more than I do about the topic I'm asking, hence why I'm asking) it's amazing how much sense exactly that (common sense) starts to make...

Chew on that, naysayer.
  • NekoneMeowMixx
    NekoneMeowMixx Posts: 410 Member
    Options

I third this, it boggles my mind, but you know, I think I'd like to try it for a day! Visions of plate after plate of dessert are running through my head :grin: Brownies, fudge, cupcakes, cake, unlimited nutella... omg!!

If the OP is in recovery from an ED she should have mentioned that in the OP to get relevant help.

Regardless, the only way to get help is to start by getting an accurate current calorie intake by using a food scale and logging accurately, then gradually start to increase calorie intake. No one here can help someone who refuses to help themselves.

Exactly. The only way I can see them eating that much and still losing (barring any extreme medical conditions) is a certain ED that maybe they haven't gotten over???

• Laceyj2000
    Laceyj2000 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I just wanted to comment and say yes it is possible to consume large amounts of calories and lose weight. This could be due to a medical condition involving the thyroid, a crazy fast metabolism or just genetic luck. I also eat 3000 plus calories a day and after my second child weigh less than I did pre-pregnancy (125 lbs). I have been trying to gain weight and consume 2 protein shakes a day, at least one protein bar, a large sub loaded with meat extra cheese veggies etc, granola of some kind with breakfast, misc fresh fruit, large servings of pasta with olive oil fresh herbs & cheese, 3-4 servings of fresh veggies either raw or sautéed, 4-6 servings of nuts usually almonds or pistachios, 3-4 servings of beef jerkey, a whole baguette of French bread to snack on usually with olive oil and to add extra calories (I know this is not healthy:( ), but 2-3 cupcakes most days, a snickers bar, and 1-2 other high calorie snacks. Now that being said even though improbable for most people it is possible for some. I can consistently eat more than my 6'4" husband who weighs 230lbs + and still lose weight while he gains. I also drink 16 or more 8 oz servings of water a day. I am not guesstimating or have my numbers wrong and I am a Dr. So I am aware that this is not typically the case for very many people, but it is some peoples reality even after their teenage years. One thing that I can say is your lean muscles mass, core body temperature as well as resting metabolic rate all play a role in how many calories your body burns without even accounting for activity levels. Everybody's body runs differently and no one formula or mathematical equation can account for that. If you don't feed your body enough it goes into starvation mode which means it will store more fat so if you are trying to lose weight please eat just do it better and it may even work for gaining weight too. You could decrease calories for a couple of days sending your body into storage mode when you do resume your regular diet. I hope everyone meats their goals no matter what they are, but remember there is always more than one road to take. Don't knock it til you try it!
  • Emilia777
    Emilia777 Posts: 978 Member
    Options
    Laceyj2000 wrote: »
    I just wanted to comment and say yes it is possible to consume large amounts of calories and lose weight. This could be due to a medical condition involving the thyroid, a crazy fast metabolism or just genetic luck. I also eat 3000 plus calories a day and after my second child weigh less than I did pre-pregnancy (125 lbs). I have been trying to gain weight and consume 2 protein shakes a day, at least one protein bar, a large sub loaded with meat extra cheese veggies etc, granola of some kind with breakfast, misc fresh fruit, large servings of pasta with olive oil fresh herbs & cheese, 3-4 servings of fresh veggies either raw or sautéed, 4-6 servings of nuts usually almonds or pistachios, 3-4 servings of beef jerkey, a whole baguette of French bread to snack on usually with olive oil and to add extra calories (I know this is not healthy:( ), but 2-3 cupcakes most days, a snickers bar, and 1-2 other high calorie snacks. Now that being said even though improbable for most people it is possible for some. I can consistently eat more than my 6'4" husband who weighs 230lbs + and still lose weight while he gains. I also drink 16 or more 8 oz servings of water a day. I am not guesstimating or have my numbers wrong and I am a Dr. So I am aware that this is not typically the case for very many people, but it is some peoples reality even after their teenage years. One thing that I can say is your lean muscles mass, core body temperature as well as resting metabolic rate all play a role in how many calories your body burns without even accounting for activity levels. Everybody's body runs differently and no one formula or mathematical equation can account for that. If you don't feed your body enough it goes into starvation mode which means it will store more fat so if you are trying to lose weight please eat just do it better and it may even work for gaining weight too. You could decrease calories for a couple of days sending your body into storage mode when you do resume your regular diet. I hope everyone meats their goals no matter what they are, but remember there is always more than one road to take. Don't knock it til you try it!

… and that’s where you lost any and all credibility.
  • Addiewe
    Addiewe Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    My vote is on the tape worm... B)
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options

You're quite right there are specific medical conditions that will result in an inability to gain weight ...they are extremely rare but out there

As a doctor you really should read up on the concept of starvation mode as it's just total nonsense in the, tabloid accepted, way you've described it. What you're talking about is adaptive thermogenesis which may slightly slow down rate of loss but will not ...ever...stop weight loss.
  • PeachyCarol
    PeachyCarol Posts: 8,029 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options

Doctor, are you confusing "starvation mode" with metabolic adaptation"?

Even then, technically, there's no evidence for excess fat storage in a caloric deficit, is there? I'd love to see some studies on that.

• minties82
    minties82 Posts: 907 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    Dude. Eat more protein. That is a pathetic amount.

Pretty kewl that you eat as much as my husband who spends 50 hours a week moving thousands apon thousands of kilos of timber by hand and you managed to gain muscle in 2 months while eating the same amount of protein as my 69 year old grandma. Real kewl. And lose weight too. Wowee.