Thoughts on paleo?

Options
would doing a mainly paleo type of diet speed up fat loss a little more? I usually always eat fruits veggies and lean meats but I do include whole grain flaxseed toast everyday and Greek yogurt

Replies

• stevencloser
    stevencloser Posts: 8,911 Member
    Options
    It won't speed up your fat loss.
    If you like it, do it. If you don't, then don't.
  • joepratt503
    joepratt503 Posts: 191 Member
    Options
    IMO, micromanaging ANY diet will speed up results whether its Paleo, keto, Weight Watchers, MFP, anything. The trick is to be super sensitive about what you eat and restrictive diets like Paleo make that a bit easier.

Personally, I do not believe that Paleo is any better than anything else as long as you are strict.
  • Sarasmaintaining
    Sarasmaintaining Posts: 1,027 Member
    Options
    My own experience with trying it for three months, back in the day-
    -developed stomach issues
    -developed potty issues
    -developed horrible bad breath
    -doubled my grocery bill
    -did not lose weight
    -did not notice any positive changes at all

So yeah, not for me.
  • Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    Options

This^
  • TimothyFish
    TimothyFish Posts: 4,925 Member
    Options
    Only if you include chasing down dinosaurs in your daily activities.
  • segacs
    segacs Posts: 4,599 Member
    Options
    Here we go again...

*Gets the popcorn*
  • BJPCraig
    BJPCraig Posts: 417 Member
    Options
    Totally not for me, but I've known people who swear by it. On the other hand, most of them were eating crap diets to begin with, and paleo just got them eating cleaner. You seem to be eating clean anyway, so I doubt it would do you any good.
  • Hollywood_Porky
    Hollywood_Porky Posts: 491 Member
    Options
    Lean meats, seafood, non-starchy veggies, fruit, eggs, nuts, seeds - that's the basis to Paleo. Ditch the grains, you don't need them. Veggies have awesome nutritional value, especially Kale, Broccoli, and Spinach. Fruit serves as a great energy source especially for working out. Meat and eggs provide the protein, seeds and nuts provide essential fats, vitamins, minerals, and fiber. Satiety is promoted with Paleo - if you are serious about it, please visit this site for more information: http://thepaleodiet.com/ - this guy is awesome.
  • PeachyCarol
    PeachyCarol Posts: 8,029 Member
    Options
    I'm a little concerned by how you phrased your question.

It's fine to be focused on fat loss, but are you also focused on keeping off the fat?

One of the things that sort of raises a red flag for me with your wording is the thought that you might want to try this to speed up fat loss, but then once your "done"... then what? What is your plan to maintain your new weight?

You can embrace any way of eating that you'd like and feel that you'd enjoy, but weight loss will always come down to a matter of energy balance and creating a deficit.

If you want to try Paleo to do that, give it a go. However, when you're done? You still need to worry about that energy balance. Your new body will have new calorie needs. What then?
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options

This.

Some people find it to be an easy way to create a deficit, some don't.

Many people consider dairy, whole grains, and legumes to be helpful in creating a deficit/eating healthy, and others also like some of the foods that are excluded.
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options

This is pretty much /endthread worthy.

I tried paleo because my husband wanted to. I was hugely skeptical. I actually liked it. The upside - I wasn't hungry, I enjoyed my food. I didn't count calories or feel like I was dieting (I did follow the Whole30 guideline on portions). I lost weight.
    The downside - It took more effort to prep. Last minute meals were problematic.

But, as a few people have noted above, it was more because of the stuff I wasn't eating anymore than the diet itself. Because it was so restrictive, I cut out foods I tended to overeat on. I was paying much more attention to what I was eating. It just isn't something I could do endlessly though because of the prep and because I enjoy other foods that aren't necessarily paleo and don't want to give them up.

I still eat a lot of the recipes I found on it and still build my meals in a similar way, protein, fat, lots of veggies. I just don't eliminate foods.
  • SuggaD
    SuggaD Posts: 1,369 Member
    Options
    Not for me.
  • Nony_Mouse
    Nony_Mouse Posts: 5,646 Member
    Options

Really?? You know The Flintstones wasn't reality TV right? Humans and dinosaurs never co-existed. This is the second time in the last couple of days I've seen someone say something like this. Honestly, it's kinda worrying that there are adults out there who believe this.
  • Katiebear_81
    Katiebear_81 Posts: 719 Member
    Options
    I liked it when I had more time to devote to food prep, and more money to throw at my grocery budget. I took a year "off", when I got divorced and started working full time. I tried to go back to it, but discovered that my guts prefer to have a small amount of dairy and grains. I dropped weight very quickly the first time, as I was fairly over weight. The second time, I had less to lose and ended up gaining a bit of weight because I had stopped counting calories.
  • girlviernes
    girlviernes Posts: 2,402 Member
    Options
    It's silly. Now, increasing whole foods is a good idea, eating plenty of veggies, berries, and knowing where your meat comes from, good things. It's good to care about food and be invested in it. It's good to cook.

You won't magically lose weight faster, though.
  • atypicalsmith
    atypicalsmith Posts: 2,742 Member
    Options
    Nony_Mouse wrote: »

Really?? You know The Flintstones wasn't reality TV right? Humans and dinosaurs never co-existed. This is the second time in the last couple of days I've seen someone say something like this. Honestly, it's kinda worrying that there are adults out there who believe this.

And how do you know humans and dinosaurs never co-existed? Were you there?
  • girlviernes
    girlviernes Posts: 2,402 Member
    Options

You make a compelling argument.
  • PeachyCarol
    PeachyCarol Posts: 8,029 Member
    Options

She's a professional know-er. Or an archaeologist. Take your pick.
  • Nony_Mouse
    Nony_Mouse Posts: 5,646 Member
    Options

I really hope you're not serious.
  • zyxst
    zyxst Posts: 9,136 Member
    Options
    Too many foods I like are on the no-no list.