Thoughts on paleo?

Options

Replies

• ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    ndj1979 wrote: »
    Read this, and then decide for yourself.

http://i.imgur.com/dgJX5IY.jpg

Let me guess you went paleo, restricted bad foods, lost weight, and your blood work improved ?

I don't do Paloe and I have nearly perfect lab results every time I see the doctor…so I guess my n=1 trumps your n=1?

Please read things before you make assumptions. The entire thing was about terrifyingly high cholesterol caused by a paleo diet. I don't do paleo and have excellent labs as well.

i read it back wards….sorry about that…the text is kinda small on my laptop
  • ncboiler89
    ncboiler89 Posts: 2,408 Member
    Options
    would doing a mainly paleo type of diet speed up fat loss a little more? I usually always eat fruits veggies and lean meats but I do include whole grain flaxseed toast everyday and Greek yogurt

Check one of the other bazillion threads in this forum about this topic.
  • Eudoxy
    Eudoxy Posts: 391 Member
    Options
    dinosaurs roamed the planet like 65 million years ago and humans have only been on earth for what, like 10,000 years….its basic math ...

Modern humans showed up about 200,000 years ago (mid-Paleolithic). That's just what I heard, I wasn't there...
  • ndj1979
    Options
    Eudoxy wrote: »
    dinosaurs roamed the planet like 65 million years ago and humans have only been on earth for what, like 10,000 years….its basic math ...

Modern humans showed up about 200,000 years ago (mid-Paleolithic). That's just what I heard, I wasn't there...

i am sure @Nony_Mouse will be happy to clarify ...
  • Hollywood_Porky
    Hollywood_Porky Posts: 491 Member
    Options
    My numbers going Paleo-like (lithic whatever) demonstrate far-reaching results - complete flips from the previous two years.

http://1drv.ms/1JVd2Hz

There's no disputing the power of Paleo. I don't understand where people may have gone wrong, but I swear - eating non-starchy veggies like broccoli, spinach, kale, eating fruits like avocado, bananas, green apples, berries, eating nuts and seeds like almonds, pistachios, and chia - eating lean grass-fed meats like beef tenderloin, chicken, eating pork tenderloin, eating seafood like salmon, trout, lobster - eating eggs... that's all you have to do. To mitigate constipation, seeds and nuts alone would do the trick.

It's a great diet - nutrient-dense foods.
  • ndj1979
    Options
    My numbers going Paleo-like (lithic whatever) demonstrate far-reaching results - complete flips from the previous two years.

There's no disputing the power of Paleo. I don't understand where people may have gone wrong, but I swear - eating non-starchy veggies like broccoli, spinach, kale, eating fruits like avocado, bananas, green apples, berries, eating nuts and seeds like almonds, pistachios, and chia - eating lean grass-fed meats like beef tenderloin, chicken, eating pork tenderloin, eating seafood like salmon, trout, lobster - eating eggs... that's all you have to do. To mitigate constipation, seeds and nuts alone would do the trick.

great and there are two non paleo people with nearly perfect lab results in this thread….so your n=1 proves nothing...
  • PeachyCarol
    PeachyCarol Posts: 8,029 Member
    Options

Well, there's plenty of disputing the "power of paleo".

FTR, I ate plenty of nuts.

Meat constipates me, as it turns out.

The most fascinating turn of phrase in your whole post? "I don't understand where people may have gone wrong..."

Nothing in your view allows for variations in genetics, preference, or even results. It's all gotta be user error. The mark of the true zealot.

smh

• Nony_Mouse
    Nony_Mouse Posts: 5,646 Member
    Options

Yup, we popped up around 200,000 years ago. http://humanorigins.si.edu/evidence/human-fossils/species/homo-sapiens
  • PeachyCarol
    PeachyCarol Posts: 8,029 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options

great and there are two non paleo people with nearly perfect lab results in this thread….so your n=1 proves nothing...

All it took for me to change my bloodwork was to lose weight. Funny, that.

I HAD slightly high cholesterol before. Now it's beautiful with a good ratio.

• ncboiler89
    ncboiler89 Posts: 2,408 Member
    Options
    I think we should have a fad diet forum.
  • zyxst
    zyxst Posts: 9,136 Member
    Options

Sorry, but never eating beans/peanuts, any dairy, potatoes, and grains for the next 40 years?
    gross_no_thank_you_supernatural.gif
  • Nony_Mouse
    Nony_Mouse Posts: 5,646 Member
    Options
    zyxst wrote: »

Sorry, but never eating beans/peanuts, any dairy, potatoes, and grains for the next 40 years?

IKR?? I'm also confused as to why those things are excluded given this statement from the same person:
    Paleo people eat foods that would be considered derived from the Paleolithic era. As long as you can trace its lineage then it's considered Paleo.

Also, what's with the green apples only on that list? What's wrong with red apples?
  • ndj1979
    Options
    Nony_Mouse wrote: »

Yup, we popped up around 200,000 years ago. http://humanorigins.si.edu/evidence/human-fossils/species/homo-sapiens

I think I confused human origins with when agriculture popped up..whoops!
  • zyxst
    zyxst Posts: 9,136 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    Nony_Mouse wrote: »
    zyxst wrote: »

IKR?? I'm also confused as to why those things are excluded given this statement from the same person:
    Paleo people eat foods that would be considered derived from the Paleolithic era. As long as you can trace its lineage then it's considered Paleo.

Also, what's with the green apples only on that list? What's wrong with red apples?
    Food racism.

Oh, something I don't understand is: why is it okay to kill and eat the meat of the animal, but not drink the milk?
  • Sarasmaintaining
    Sarasmaintaining Posts: 1,027 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options

add me to the count-I'm a non-paleo eater and my blood panels are pretty awesome, including no longer having a glucose number in the pre-diabetic range-go me :)
  • vschwgrt1
    vschwgrt1 Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    paleo people were hunter gatherers and if they came across a taco bell they would have eaten there. What ever was available. And that included wild grains.
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    would doing a mainly paleo type of diet speed up fat loss a little more? I usually always eat fruits veggies and lean meats but I do include whole grain flaxseed toast everyday and Greek yogurt
    No it won't.

I think most of us here eat fruit, veggies and lean meat and include whole grains and greek yogurt in our diets.

I know I do.

The difference is that I (we) also include starches and treats and well everything else in our diets as well.

ETA: and we get to drink alcohol too...

The thing is this...anyone doing Paleo or any of it's off shoots cannot say they lost weight faster/better/longer or any other "er" word than those who don't subscribe to it.

It is a method for Calorie deficit but don't believe for one second you don't have to count you do...eating paleo and not being in a deficit does not in any way guarantee weight loss/fat loss.

• ndj1979
    edited May 2015
    Options
    vschwgrt1 wrote: »
    paleo people were hunter gatherers and if they came across a taco bell they would have eaten there. What ever was available. And that included wild grains.

How many clams is a soft shell taco???
  • jnv7594
    jnv7594 Posts: 983 Member
    Options
    My thoughts on the Paleo diet are it's completely uneccesary. It's far too restrictive. But if you want to follow it, and if you think it's sustainable for you in the long term. Then go for it I guess.
  • FitForL1fe
    FitForL1fe Posts: 1,872 Member
    Options
    strictly from the perspective of fat loss, since that was OP's question...

no

CICO is the only thing that affects weight loss or gain, barring medical issues

if you eat less calories because you get on paleo then I guess you could answer in the affirmative, but paleo would be indirectly responsible, at best