Thoughts on paleo?

Options

Replies

• Gska17
    Gska17 Posts: 752 Member
    Options
    zyxst wrote: »
    Too many foods I like are on the no-no list.

This exactly.

Also, logging & meal planning takes enough effort as it is. I can't imagine choosing from a list of "allowed" and "not allowed" foods.
  • girlviernes
    girlviernes Posts: 2,402 Member
    Options
    Nony_Mouse wrote: »
    Only if you include chasing down dinosaurs in your daily activities.

Really?? You know The Flintstones wasn't reality TV right? Humans and dinosaurs never co-existed. This is the second time in the last couple of days I've seen someone say something like this. Honestly, it's kinda worrying that there are adults out there who believe this.

And how do you know humans and dinosaurs never co-existed? Were you there?

She's a professional know-er. Or an archaeologist. Take your pick.

I don't know about this, archaeologists make a lot of assumptions that logic and evidence can provide us with useful information about the past - but really, if you never smelt it, did anyone ever dealt it?

• girlviernes
    Options
    Okay - genuine question: Is dinosaur meat paleo? And if so, does it need to be grass-fed?
  • Nony_Mouse
    Nony_Mouse Posts: 5,646 Member
    Options
    Okay - genuine question: Is dinosaur meat paleo? And if so, does it need to be grass-fed?

If we go with their latest definition, that it has to derive from the Paleolithic, I'm guessing no.
  • girlviernes
    Options
    But, if we assume that there were dinosaurs in the Paleolithic... after all, were you there to say they weren't there?
  • PeachyCarol
    PeachyCarol Posts: 8,029 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    But, if we assume that there were dinosaurs in the Paleolithic... after all, were you there to say they weren't there?

Well now, wait. If no one here was there ... how do we know ANY food was paleo or not?

510b3f04ec2a0d75a8e31b2e513c6b1a.jpg

• girlviernes
    Options

Well now, wait. If no one here was there ... how do we know ANY food was paleo or not?

510b3f04ec2a0d75a8e31b2e513c6b1a.jpg

Woah...
  • Nony_Mouse
    Nony_Mouse Posts: 5,646 Member
    Options

Oh come on, everyone knows dinosaurs never existed. The Devil put those bones there to lead us to damnation.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    OP - do what you want, please just understand that "Paleo Diet" has absolutely nothing to do with how actual Paleolithic people ate. But if you want to restrict certain foods because they are "bad" have at it…

Oh, and you will not lose weight faster than a standard calorie deficit….
  • ndj1979
    edited May 2015
    Options
    Only if you include chasing down dinosaurs in your daily activities.

Really?? You know The Flintstones wasn't reality TV right? Humans and dinosaurs never co-existed. This is the second time in the last couple of days I've seen someone say something like this. Honestly, it's kinda worrying that there are adults out there who believe this.

And how do you know humans and dinosaurs never co-existed? Were you there?

this may be the most scientifically ignorant statement in the history of MFP….
  • girlviernes
    Options

Oh come on, everyone knows dinosaurs never existed. The Devil put those bones there to lead us to damnation.

Mind. Blown.

• ndj1979
    Options
    dinosaurs roamed the planet like 65 million years ago and humans have only been on earth for what, like 10,000 years….its basic math ...
  • ndj1979
    Options
    Read this, and then decide for yourself.

http://i.imgur.com/dgJX5IY.jpg

Let me guess you went paleo, restricted bad foods, lost weight, and your blood work improved ?

I don't do Paloe and I have nearly perfect lab results every time I see the doctor…so I guess my n=1 trumps your n=1?
  • PeachyCarol
    edited May 2015
    Options
    Read this, and then decide for yourself.

http://i.imgur.com/dgJX5IY.jpg

Interesting. I think, though, you'd probably find people who did Paleo who had numbers improve.

Please note, I'm a vegetarian. With good numbers :smile:

I don't think we really know enough about fat in the diet, saturated fat, genetics, red meat and whatever other variables you want to throw in there to a causative point to say anything for certain.

OR...

Maybe the old thinking about coconut oil was right all along?????????

Cue conspiracy theory music... I'm just kidding at this point. I can't help myself. I cannot stay serious on this subject.

• rachmawatyyulia
    rachmawatyyulia Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    My own experience with trying it for three months, back in the day-
    -developed stomach issues
    -developed potty issues
    -developed horrible bad breath
    -doubled my grocery bill
    -did not lose weight
    -did not notice any positive changes at all

So yeah, not for me.

THANK YOU for sharing your experience. I guess, just do what make you happy, as long as it still a healthy lifestyle
  • PeachyCarol
    edited May 2015
    Options
    If you want experience, I did it... forever ago, long before it became a fad. Before the first major book was written, even. There was a book which predated Cordain's which I followed.

I was constipated a lot. I felt fine other than that, but it was expensive. I lost a little weight at first, but I gained it back plus 5 more pounds.

The only benefit at the time was that I was not consuming a lot of the things my nursing daughter was sensitive to, so the foods allowed fit my needs at the time.

There was also a lot of time involved in food prep. I couldn't just grab the yogurt and eat some. Finding food to bring along when we were out and about was also an issue.
  • TiffanyR71
    TiffanyR71 Posts: 217 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    Tried Paleo for a month, lost 8 lbs, was miserable, tired, brain-dead, and felt deprived.
    Tried counting calories for a month (now longer than that...), lost 8 lbs, was happy, energetic, and was free to choose my foods from all the groups.
    Some obviously think it's great; I think it's atrocious.