Dear Women of MFP

Options
123457»

Replies

• SutapaMukherji
    SutapaMukherji Posts: 244 Member
    Options
    Very helpful post.

I have a question, the weight gain from TOM, the water weight that is; how long does it stay? Like a day or two? Or like a week?

I did not lose any weight even after 15 days of workout and diet, so I presumed I was doing something wrong and got pretty depressed about everything. Within the next 3 days it was TOM time. And only after a week or more (about 9 days), I am seeing I have reduced some more weight. Is it because of the workout or because of TOM going away for the month?

How long it stays really depends on the person. Maybe a few days, but some women seem to retain water for a week or two.

the weight loss was probably a combintion of fat loss and water loss. think of it this way, in the first 15 days you were slowly losing fat, but also gaining water, so your weight stayed the same even though you'd lost some fat. then after your TOM, all the water weight went away, while you carried on losing fat at the same rate, but lost water at the same time, so you saw a big drop on the scale

don't give the scale so much importance, and don't stress about day to day changes... it's better for most women to just weigh yourself once a week, in the same circumstances (e.g. first thing in the morning before breakfast after using the bathroom) and to look for a long term trend. If you see a gain or don't see a loss the one week you have TOM, understand that it's just TOM and stick with the plan. If you're seeing a general trend of weight loss over time, that's what you want, and ignore any odd weeks that show a sudden unexpected gain (whether TOM weeks or not, could be you ate too much sodium the day before, or all sorts). Also monitor other changes like inch measurements, how your clothes fit and what you look like in the mirror... these are more reliable than the scale for telling you if your body composition is moving in the right direction

This is such a helpful answer. Thank you so much for the response :smile:
  • Jxnsmma
    Jxnsmma Posts: 919 Member
    Options
    I was the opposite where I put myself on the pill, then my mom found them and tried to take them away and I said "so Im having sex and trying to be responsible about it and... you're going to take away my protection??!".
    She gave them back... ;)
  • UsedToBeHusky
    UsedToBeHusky Posts: 15,229 Member
    Options
    I was the opposite where I put myself on the pill, then my mom found them and tried to take them away and I said "so Im having sex and trying to be responsible about it and... you're going to take away my protection??!".
    She gave them back... ;)

Hahaha! That's what my daughter would say. Fortunately, she has no interest in boys... but I wouldn't take them from her anyway... I would hope she would let me take her to the doctor to get them. But at the moment, she refuses to see boys as anything other than friends.

She still thinks they are gross. *phew*