losing weight, but gaining fat...

Options
1235»

Replies

• jorinya
    jorinya Posts: 933 Member
    Options
    I'm not going to say anymore. Goodnite and sleep well.
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    jorinya wrote: »
    Oh let me use my adult 30 year old brother in law who is his uncle. Does that work for you? Same thing. Can't add weight even if he eats a kfc variety bucket everyday and over 1000 calories a day. And btw my comment was because people were saying the OP is too thin and needs to see someone. That wasn't nice!! OP asked a question and got told all sorts of things that weren't relevant so before you try find fault with my comments first find fault with the ones that said OP needs to see someone. Thank you

And again someone who professes to be underweight, has a losing body fat goal and says they eat 1200 calories a day and that 2000 calories a day is shocking needs a serious reassessment of their perception

Not your, however well meaning, attempt at support which is IMHO unhelpful and dangerous

That said I agree she's probably eating much more and has good goals of gaining muscle but will need to shift perception to eating at or over maintenance and increasing scale weight
  • galgenstrick
    galgenstrick Posts: 2,086 Member
    Options
    jorinya wrote: »
    Oh let me use my adult 30 year old brother in law who is his uncle. Does that work for you? Same thing. Can't add weight even if he eats a kfc variety bucket everyday and over 1000 calories a day. And btw my comment was because people were saying the OP is too thin and needs to see someone. That wasn't nice!! OP asked a question and got told all sorts of things that weren't relevant so before you try find fault with my comments first find fault with the ones that said OP needs to see someone. Thank you

If your 30 year old brother in law eats over his TDEE he will gain wait.
  • MakePeasNotWar
    MakePeasNotWar Posts: 1,329 Member
    Options
    Francl27 wrote: »
    I just want to point out to those who are recommending professional help and seem to be disturbed by her weight that OP is literally less than 2.5 lb underweight. Also, she stated that she is trying to lower her body fat%, not lose weight.

It's not just that she's underweight, but that she's also eating way too little if she's really eating 1200... so sure, she might not be 'trying to lose weight' but at 1200 calories, it's the same thing.

But yeah... we've since established that she's definitely not eating 1200. Going by the label is nice and all but I'm guessing she's not only eating single serving packaged food (which is often more calories than what the label says anyway), so she's probably completely underestimating everything... otherwise she would be losing weight.

My issue was that some posts seemed to be ascribing an eating disorder to someone who possibly just didn't know her calorie requirements (which would make sense if one had only been counting calories for a few months and hadn't been maintaining). OP stated a goal of increasing lean mass so I assumed (though I suppose I could be wrong) that if she was having the opposite result she would adjust accordingly, and not continue to eat at a deficit in the face of consistent unwanted weight loss. Accidental weight loss due to miscalculation or faulty estimate =/= eating disorder.

For those just recommending a caloric increase, or even a modest weight increase, I agree 100%, and I actually recommended the same thing.
  • barryplumber
    barryplumber Posts: 401 Member
    Options
    Just start lifting you'll create muscle, if you want have another measurement done someone i think made an error
  • Gritty_Gal
    Gritty_Gal Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    Psychgrrl wrote: »
    I read Fitness RX and Muscle and Fitness Hers and follow them on Twitter (as well as @BornFitness and a couple others). There are good exercises and recipes out there to help, but you do need to eat enough to provide the nutrition to gain muscle. At 1200, with your height and activity level, it doesn't seem you're doing that.

Though, you probably are underestimating what you eat. Serving portions on labels often don't represent the portion of food, even for a slice of bread. Especially for eggs. When I scoop out 2TB of peanut or almond butter with a measuring spoon and weight it, it's 1.2 or 1.25 servings going by grams. The variance depends on the measuring spoon--those aren't created equally, either.

And then there's looking at your calorie burn. I'm a huge numbers nerd, so I wear a fitness tracker 24/7 and a HRM when I exercise. Going to upgrade my tech next month!

I really can't relate with the specific numeric goal. Being focused on a specific end weight or bf percentage never resonated with me. I always had a range for my goal weight--I just wasn't sure what my end point was and was going to stop when I was in the healthy BMI range and felt good. I am focusing on building muscle, too. But it's easier for me than some. I love weight-lifting, and I love when I set a one rep max and checking the total weight I've lifted at the end of my workout (my tracking program computes that for me--NERD!). For my long lifting session last week, I lifted over 118,000 pounds total! I'm also working on improving my running times and cardio fitness. Those are the numbers that matter to me.

Don't get me wrong, I care about how I look and rock the bikinis I bought from Victoria's Secret, but am I "perfect?" Nope. Do I care? Nope. And I live in SoCal, where it's very easy to get sucked into caring. :smiley:

Thank you. I really like how you look at a range and not just a number. I'm glad you shared your personal experience with me. And I appreciate your note about portions. I agree with you and I do my best to stay true to the portions. I mentioned before that I don't weigh my food, so yes, there is a wiggle room when it comes to exact calorie count, but I'm happy with my progress and the way my clothes fit. And that's what's most important to me. Yes, I'd like to gain muscle and I hope that with a little help from a trainer and a nutritionist, a reliable fitness program and a little determination, I'll get there eventually :)
  • galgenstrick
    galgenstrick Posts: 2,086 Member
    Options
    Just start lifting you'll create muscle, if you want have another measurement done someone i think made an error

Not if she's in a deficit.
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options

Not if she's in a deficit.

At maintenance for a slow body recomp

Above maintenance for a bulk and cut cycle

Both I imagine would require more than 2000 calories and you would probably need to track accurately to ensure you're hitting them