Sugar Cleanse- Help!

Options

Replies

• hyphenatot
    hyphenatot Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    What an enlightening group of individuals.

Whether it is emotional or physical: I have a problem with sugar.

If you want to help, cool. If not, your opinion is not valuable to me.

Also, 99% of you need to learn how to read and spell.
  • hyphenatot
    Options
    franklech wrote: »

My whole purpose of cutting caffeine and sugar isn't to lose weight or become fit - I can clearly do that without it. My goal is to think more clearly, act mindfully and have an even level of energy throughout the day. And to truly enjoy what I eat - to lose my craving for sweetened foods so I can fully appreciate a whole, natural diet. So while it's possible to just eat sweetened foods in moderation (easier said than done for many), I find it easier to completely abstain, at least according to the rules I gave myself above.

To the OP, good luck on your "sugar cleanse." That's got to be difficult as a vegetarian! Maybe this link will help: http://www.radiantrecovery.com/7steps.htm. I came across it while searching the Internet for motivation to start this sugar-free thing. I don't know anything about her book or method, but the seven steps she lays out to go sugar-free seem like a good way to ease into it.

Exactly!! I am a healthy, extremely active park ranger living in VT. my BMI is normal. I am not some psycho trying to "trick" my body into looking like one of the olsen twins. I just dont want to be so dependent on added sugar.
  • Ninkyou
    Ninkyou Posts: 6,666 Member
    Options
    MrM27 wrote: »
    hyphenatot wrote: »

Weather you like there advice or not you should never loose your cool because two many of them are write.

what-you-did-there-i-see-it.thumbnail.jpg
  • hyphenatot
    Options
    Weather you like there advice or not you should never loose your cool because two many of them are write.

This is so riddled with spelling errors that I can barely understand it.
  • hyphenatot
    Options
    ;)
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options

awkward-moment-when-your-sarcasm-is-so-advanced_o_1045275.jpg
  • hyphenatot
    Options
    Actually... I got it. Thanks.
  • Psychgrrl
    Psychgrrl Posts: 3,177 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    I live in California, and it is indeed that way...though I don't advocate it.

Me, too. SoCal. I find the "rejuvenation" centers on practically every street corner especially amusing. My Penny Saver doesn't have dry cleaning and home and garden, it's pretty much all botox, peels and laser hair removal. I moved here from the Bible Belt (Oklahoma) so my locale replaced churches (they're everywhere in OK--strip malls, abandoned gas stations) with "spas."

OP, if you feel like cutting or reducing sugar will help your health. Give it a shot. I watch my sugar intake carefully due to health issues. I wish I didn't have to pay that much attention to it.
  • PeachyCarol
    PeachyCarol Posts: 8,029 Member
    Options
    ninerbuff wrote: »
    Addiction isn't the same a enjoying hyperpalatable foods. You body needs glucose/glycogen to function. It doesn't however need it in excessive amounts.
    You don't have to "quit" sugar. Just reduce the amount you consume.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

The PT and nutritionist is correct. Sugar is in fruit - my take on it is don't eat any added sugars from processed sources - substitute fruit for anything you would crave (like candy) and that will help you get through the "DTs" of sugar cravings.

Elimination is key - eliminate processed foods and get down to the whole foods level - then build back up - only through the process of elimination will you find which foods are really causing the issue.

No it's not key. Some people do well with elimination, others don't at all.

I guess I should bother on this one. Yes it is key. Eliminating foods is essential to troubleshooting the issue. That's how you figure out what's working and what's not. Or it's one way.

Obviously all you wanted to do is in this post was denigrate/nitpick because you don't like me. Sad stuff indeed.

It's not that I don't like you. It's that you keep posting things as matter of fact that just aren't.

Absolutely it matters and you posted it because that's your M.O. It is a matter of fact and plenty of literature to support it.

We all do it all the time. If we didn't, we would all be eating ice cream all day long man.

What? Your think someone's choices are to eliminate ice cream or eat it all day long?

There's no middle ground there?

Fascinating.

Some people don't ever have a problem compulsively eating certain foods to stupid excess, they can just exercise will power right away in terms of portion control. They can just simply... cut back.

For other people, you're right, going the elimination route is a good idea. But it's not a universal thing.

In another thread, I likened the the many possible issues/factors involved in being overweight to the cards in a deck. Everyone is dealt a different hand. Your issues were not necessarily my issues. It's just foolish to think that your experience applies to everyone else.

• PeachyCarol
    edited May 2015
    Options
    SLLRunner wrote: »
    According to quite a few studies, sugar can be just as addictive as cocain as they stimulate the same area of the brain. As someone who's also suffered from sugar addiction, you just have to get it out of the house and have to say no every single time. Just constantly have the willpower to say no. Of course you need a little bit of sugar in your diet so opt for fruit instead of refined sugars.
    Hope you kick your addiction, good luck!

Which studies?

This one. It doesn't say exactly that, but things that aren't drugs CAN BE addictive. Which, again, is different than causing dependence.
    http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3139704/

Well, if it doesn't say anything about sugar, what relevance does it have here? :)

I will need to read later on.

ETA: read it. The study says nothing about sugar and talks about parallels between drug addiction and other types of addictive behavior. The point being missed is that drug and alcohol addiction is physical first, behavioral second, and people die from it.
    "Perhaps the most extensively studied reward is that of food. Food is the quintessential reward in many rodent studies and has been used as a reinforcer in procedures such as operant (self-administration) tasks, runway tests, maze learning, gambling tasks, and place conditioning (Skinner, 1930; Ettenberg and Camp, 1986; Kandel et al, 2000; Kelley, 2004; Tzschentke, 2007; Zeeb et al, 2009). In rats that were trained to press a lever to receive intravenous self-administration of drugs, highly palatable foods such as sugar and saccharin were shown to reduce self-administration of cocaine and heroin (Carroll et al, 1989; Lenoir and Ahmed, 2008), and these natural reinforcers have been demonstrated to outcompete cocaine in choice self-administration in the majority of rats tested (Lenoir et al, 2007; Cantin et al, 2010). This would suggest that sweet foods have a higher reinforcing value than cocaine, even in animals with an extensive history of drug intake (Cantin et al., 2010). While this phenomenon could appear as a weakness in current models of cocaine addiction, a minority of rats prefer cocaine to sugar or saccharin (Cantin et al., 2010). It is possible that these animals may represent a “vulnerable” population, which is more relevant to the human condition. This notion is explored more in the Discussion (Section 6.1).

You guys are still confusing addiction as dependence. Addiction can be to ANYTHING (yes, even petting puppies) because it's a series of behaviors. Addiction often accompanies dependence, but not always. Are you saying gambling addiction isn't a thing? Because it is.

I have yet to see a drug addict who'd take a donut over a line.
    That's because drug addicts are almost universally dependent on their drug of choice.

Again:
    http://www.drugabuse.gov/publications/principles-drug-addiction-treatment-research-based-guide-third-edition/frequently-asked-questions/there-difference-between-physical-dependence

And the rats in the study weren't?

Apparently not. Or at least not enough to make cocaine more appealing than sugar.

Sounds suspect to me.

asutois.jpg

One study does not science make. If the results of a study seem suspect, you do more studies to see if the results were good.

The results of the study seem suspect to you. And one study is a lot more science than you have provided.
    Please don't think I'm advocating that sugar dependence is a thing. It's not. You cannot become dependent on sugar the same way you can to cocaine or heroin. That's not how sugars of any type are processed in the body.

I'm merely trying to correct our vocabulary.

Your previous posting sound like you are advocating sugar addiction, so thanks for clearing that up.

If you are addicted to drugs and alcohol, you are physically dependent on them.

I want people who believe they have a sugar addiction to understand that it is not the same as as being dependent on cocaine. But I also want people who say sugar addiction doesn't exist to understand that it does, just not by their mistaken definition.

It's like when people say muscle weighs more than fat. The "by volume" should be understood, but often isn't.

Sorry, you'll never convince me that it does exist. I used to think I was addicted to sugar.

I know better now. I had a compulsive behavior problem. The problem was never the substance. The addiction "victim of food" mentality is not helpful for taking ownership of your behavior with food.

• PeachyCarol
    Options

Sometimes I just wanna bake you cookies and give Leo all the belly rubs.

• SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,942 Member
    Options
    Ninkyou wrote: »

what-you-did-there-i-see-it.thumbnail.jpg

Yeah......
  • SLLRunner
    Options

Well, actually it's not....it is a purposeful statement based on your previous remark about spelling. ;)
  • SLLRunner
    Options
    rabbitjb wrote: »

awkward-moment-when-your-sarcasm-is-so-advanced_o_1045275.jpg

LOL!
  • Bobbie63
    Bobbie63 Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    I understand what you mean, to get the sugar out of your system. I think refined sugar is the enemy and natural sugars are fine although I might even watch it if I ate too much fruit, but fruit to me is not chocolate cake :). There are plenty of reasons to "detox" from it, and everyone here is taking it very literally, for me, it gets feeling very toxic also. The candida feeds on it, the blood sugar spikes up and down...I hear you. Just quit. Refined sugar, quit. One meal at a time, then one day, then the next meal, the next day. Each meal being a decision, each day a success. That's how I'm going to handle it (as soon as I finish off the home made banana bread I made)- I'm weak be kind. The only refined sugar I will have is coffee, and I assume the yogurt I just bought will have it. But no ketchup or sauces that contain it, or anything else. Luckily I don't eat many processed foods (although this leads to not eating well and on time- I'm also lazy, so I will go without dinner to often- then give into binging on crap food). Holy smokes I got issues!