Sugar Cleanse- Help!

Options
12346»

Replies

• brianpperkins
    brianpperkins Posts: 6,124 Member
    Options
    Bobbie63 wrote: »
    I understand what you mean, to get the sugar out of your system. I think refined sugar is the enemy and natural sugars are fine although I might even watch it if I ate too much fruit, but fruit to me is not chocolate cake :). There are plenty of reasons to "detox" from it, and everyone here is taking it very literally, for me, it gets feeling very toxic also. The candida feeds on it, the blood sugar spikes up and down...I hear you. Just quit. Refined sugar, quit. One meal at a time, then one day, then the next meal, the next day. Each meal being a decision, each day a success. That's how I'm going to handle it (as soon as I finish off the home made banana bread I made)- I'm weak be kind. The only refined sugar I will have is coffee, and I assume the yogurt I just bought will have it. But no ketchup or sauces that contain it, or anything else. Luckily I don't eat many processed foods (although this leads to not eating well and on time- I'm also lazy, so I will go without dinner to often- then give into binging on crap food). Holy smokes I got issues!

They are identical in composition and how the body processes them.
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,942 Member
    Options
    I understand what you mean, to get the sugar out of your system. I think refined sugar is the enemy and natural sugars are fine although I might even watch it if I ate too much fruit, but fruit to me is not chocolate cake :). There are plenty of reasons to "detox" from it, and everyone here is taking it very literally, for me, it gets feeling very toxic also. The candida feeds on it, the blood sugar spikes up and down...I hear you. Just quit. Refined sugar, quit. One meal at a time, then one day, then the next meal, the next day. Each meal being a decision, each day a success. That's how I'm going to handle it (as soon as I finish off the home made banana bread I made)- I'm weak be kind. The only refined sugar I will have is coffee, and I assume the yogurt I just bought will have it. But no ketchup or sauces that contain it, or anything else. Luckily I don't eat many processed foods (although this leads to not eating well and on time- I'm also lazy, so I will go without dinner to often- then give into binging on crap food). Holy smokes I got issues!

There's not wrong with moderating intake of anything for your own personal reasons, but saying refined sugar is the enemy seems quite drastic. Maybe for you it's the enemy (enjoy the rest of the banana bread, by the way. :D), but sugar has no special properties that make it good or bad. Everything in moderation.
  • Bobbie63
    Bobbie63 Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    I understand that is the science,but I will say, my own anecdotal experience is that I have very different reactions to fruit sugar then to chocolate cake sugar. Maybe it's cane sugar vs fruit or maple sugars. I have no idea. But, fruit, did not make me fat. lol, I never ate enough to do that. If I stay away from refined sugar, I highly doubt I will triple up on the fruit and cause me a problem. Make no mistake sugar is magical :). Just try and take away cake from a fat kid or a pms'ing woman and you will find out. now, try that move with an apple. much different. Tongue in cheek.
  • PeachyCarol
    PeachyCarol Posts: 8,029 Member
    Options
    MrM27 wrote: »
    ninerbuff wrote: »
    Addiction isn't the same a enjoying hyperpalatable foods. You body needs glucose/glycogen to function. It doesn't however need it in excessive amounts.
    You don't have to "quit" sugar. Just reduce the amount you consume.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

The PT and nutritionist is correct. Sugar is in fruit - my take on it is don't eat any added sugars from processed sources - substitute fruit for anything you would crave (like candy) and that will help you get through the "DTs" of sugar cravings.

Elimination is key - eliminate processed foods and get down to the whole foods level - then build back up - only through the process of elimination will you find which foods are really causing the issue.

No it's not key. Some people do well with elimination, others don't at all.

I guess I should bother on this one. Yes it is key. Eliminating foods is essential to troubleshooting the issue. That's how you figure out what's working and what's not. Or it's one way.

Obviously all you wanted to do is in this post was denigrate/nitpick because you don't like me. Sad stuff indeed.

It's not that I don't like you. It's that you keep posting things as matter of fact that just aren't.

Absolutely it matters and you posted it because that's your M.O. It is a matter of fact and plenty of literature to support it.

We all do it all the time. If we didn't, we would all be eating ice cream all day long man.

What? Your think someone's choices are to eliminate ice cream or eat it all day long?

There's no middle ground there?

Fascinating.

Some people don't ever have a problem compulsively eating certain foods to stupid excess, they can just exercise will power right away in terms of portion control. They can just simply... cut back.

For other people, you're right, going the elimination route is a good idea. But it's not a universal thing.

In another thread, I likened the the many possible issues/factors involved in being overweight to the cards in a deck. Everyone is dealt a different hand. Your issues were not necessarily my issues. It's just foolish to think that your experience applies to everyone else.

Of course there is no middle ground. Just like when PU tried to say that people were eating nothing but an all carb diet. no middle ground exists.

Hmmm... I'm trying to think of an all carb diet.

OMG THERE WOULD BE NO ICE CREAM... cuz it's got protein in it and all.

Or pizza. Even some veggies I'm thinking of have protein in them.

What's pure carb? Just throw back the sugar and be done with it?

• SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,942 Member
    Options
    I understand that is the science,but I will say, my own anecdotal experience is that I have very different reactions to fruit sugar then to chocolate cake sugar. Maybe it's cane sugar vs fruit or maple sugars. I have no idea. But, fruit, did not make me fat. lol, I never ate enough to do that. If I stay away from refined sugar, I highly doubt I will triple up on the fruit and cause me a problem. Make no mistake sugar is magical :). Just try and take away cake from a fat kid or a pms'ing woman and you will find out. now, try that move with an apple. much different. Tongue in cheek.

Well, certain foods do not make us fat, it's the overall consumption of food in general that does that.

When I gained back 35 pounds over a five year period. I gave up anything that I thought was fattening until I had a very bland diet. That didn't last long, until I started reading and learned that I have the ability to moderate all food that goes in my mouth. That does not mean I am 100% successful at it (take this weekend as an example), but overall I do much better than I did and I stick to my calorie goals most of the time.

What you seem to be saying is that once you start in on the gooey sweet stuff you have a hard time not having more. I would say that's a self control problem, because no food has special properties in them.

Love your sense of humor, by the way. :)