Intermittent fasting

Options

Replies

• zeinmr
    zeinmr Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    I do intermittent fasting, mainly because I find it fits more with my normal lifestyle and eating habits. I've never done well on a constant, low calorie diet as usually I'll blow it completely one day and then feel awful and it all spirals from there. Instead, I fast on alternate days, eating 500 calories every other day and then eating as usual the following day. I'm not a breakfast sort of person, so I'll use my 500 calories on my dinner and that keeps me happy. If I crave a bar of chocolate or some crisps, it's not really a stretch to put them off till the following day. Usually by then the craving has gone anyway.

I've lost about...8 pounds or so since I started. I've had a good number of nights out with friends to the cinema or restaurants without any guilt at getting a tub of sweet popcorn or eating huge amounts of crispy duck pancakes.

I guess you just have to pick what's right for you. This works well for me. I lost some 2 stone using it before and maintained everything really well, until I hit a personal low point due to job loss and illness. I'm still not quite strong enough for a regular exercise routine as before, but this has helped me shed some pounds while I get back on my feet.

If you want to know any particular details about my own experience with this way of eating, just ask, I'm happy to answer. Of course, what works for me probably won't work for many and may not give the same results so, like everything on here, it's just a personal opinion and not a recommendation.

Thank you Shareena for your reply. I will give it a try for 6 weeks and we will see
  • RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    Options
    ndj1979 wrote: »
    You've had the same intake for 18 months? How much weight have you lost?

As your weight decreases, you need to adjust your intake to account for your lighter body's lower TDEE.

If you have been eating the same amount of calories you ate when you were heavier, you're likely eating at maintenance.

You're not weighing your food, okay, whatever, looks like you won't budge on that... what metric to you use to gauge your calorie intake?

"dem feelz"

WINNING!!!!
  • yopeeps025
    yopeeps025 Posts: 8,680 Member
    Options
    This made my head hurt. I'm glad all I have to do to lose weight is eat less than I used to.

Yeah disregard a lot of OP's nonsense broscience crap.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    zeinmr wrote: »
    I do intermittent fasting, mainly because I find it fits more with my normal lifestyle and eating habits. I've never done well on a constant, low calorie diet as usually I'll blow it completely one day and then feel awful and it all spirals from there. Instead, I fast on alternate days, eating 500 calories every other day and then eating as usual the following day. I'm not a breakfast sort of person, so I'll use my 500 calories on my dinner and that keeps me happy. If I crave a bar of chocolate or some crisps, it's not really a stretch to put them off till the following day. Usually by then the craving has gone anyway.

I've lost about...8 pounds or so since I started. I've had a good number of nights out with friends to the cinema or restaurants without any guilt at getting a tub of sweet popcorn or eating huge amounts of crispy duck pancakes.

I guess you just have to pick what's right for you. This works well for me. I lost some 2 stone using it before and maintained everything really well, until I hit a personal low point due to job loss and illness. I'm still not quite strong enough for a regular exercise routine as before, but this has helped me shed some pounds while I get back on my feet.

If you want to know any particular details about my own experience with this way of eating, just ask, I'm happy to answer. Of course, what works for me probably won't work for many and may not give the same results so, like everything on here, it's just a personal opinion and not a recommendation.

Thank you Shareena for your reply. I will give it a try for 6 weeks and we will see

200.gif
  • Sarasmaintaining
    Sarasmaintaining Posts: 1,027 Member
    Options
    Scaling food is not an option for me I dont think our ancestors were measuring their food. We have to eat right and when we eat right we will be always in a balanace CICO.

You're really making this a lot harder on yourself than it needs to be. Suck it up, spend $15 on a food scale and get a better idea of where you're at in terms of calories consumed. You need to get an accurate starting point, in order to pin down where you've gone off track. You posted because you're not moving forward and everyone is telling you the same thing, including people who've successfully lost the weight and are now maintaining. Don't you think we might actually know what we're talking about here?

Eta: the whole intuitive eating thing is what got most of us here in the first place. It's also obviously not working out so great for you either, or you wouldn't be stuck where you're at.
  • RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    Options

200.gif

++1
  • Lexicpt
    Lexicpt Posts: 209 Member
    Options
    If you eat this 100 calorie donuts you will block the utilisation of your fat storge because the insulin peak you generate wont let you do it. Your energy need for that day will use your reserve of sugar(Glycogen) stocked in your liver and muscles.

Is this real life?
  • PeachyCarol
    PeachyCarol Posts: 8,029 Member
    Options
    Psst... OP... A different eating pattern with the same dubiously calculated calorie intake isn't going to change anything.

Have fun with it.
  • joeboland
    joeboland Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    Heloo fit pals. I am so frustrated and I want to make some dramatic change. just short introduction to my problem: I hit a plateau for the last 4 month. I am 4Kg (9lb) from my goal. I eat healthy and no junk food and I am almost always in calorie deficit. I am starting from today intermittent fasting ( 24hours fasting for 1 day and 16/8 for 5 days and 1 day chating(carb reload). Anyone try intermittent fasting? How was it? Do you lose weight ? For how long you did it? please feel free for any suggestions.

When it comes to weight loss and gain, "calories in vs. calories out" is king. Forget the subtle nuances like nutrient partitioning, timing, etc. If you're stalled in losing weight, this simply means that one of the following is happening:
    -you are eating too much
    -you aren't doing enough in the way of activity
    I am starting from today intermittent fasting ( 24hours fasting for 1 day and 16/8 for 5 days and 1 day chating(carb reload).

If you're cutting, and stalling/plateauing on your weight loss, this is something to be VERY mindful of. When "cheating", it's easy to eat back your entire week's deficit in calories, if you decide to go completely off the rails with your reload (this should be a cheat meal that is higher than average in carbs and protein, not an all-out day of binging).

As for IF, I've been doing it for a few months now, and I've come to realize that people have a lot of misconceptions about it when they first start, the first one being that it allows them to "cheat the system" into eating more calories than they'd otherwise get to with the conventional three- or six-meal-a-day plans. You're still going to have to watch your caloric intake, and if you're not, then you'll plateau, regardless of what you try to employ next.

Best of luck to you.
  • Sarasmaintaining
    Sarasmaintaining Posts: 1,027 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options

How exactly are you going to do this if you're not counting calories/measuring out portion sizes? I did the same thing as Shareena is doing and you still have to count calories with the plan. Very confused as to what you're actually looking for here OP? IF has to still include calorie counting, which you seem determined not to do. IF without calorie counting doesn't do anything magical for you and it won't help you lose weight.
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    Options
    Scaling food is not an option for me I dont think our ancestors were measuring their food. We have to eat right and when we eat right we will be always in a balanace CICO.

Our ancestors did not count calories either, or exercise outside of work/play for the sake of health and wellbeing. They also did not use the internet or MFP forums to ask about a deliberate food schedule. I mean I doubt food was scarce exactly 2 days a week and they ate exactly 600 calories on those days.
  • shrinkingletters
    shrinkingletters Posts: 1,008 Member
    Options
    I've grown to love these threads.
  • zeinmr
    Options
    joeboland wrote: »
    Heloo fit pals. I am so frustrated and I want to make some dramatic change. just short introduction to my problem: I hit a plateau for the last 4 month. I am 4Kg (9lb) from my goal. I eat healthy and no junk food and I am almost always in calorie deficit. I am starting from today intermittent fasting ( 24hours fasting for 1 day and 16/8 for 5 days and 1 day chating(carb reload). Anyone try intermittent fasting? How was it? Do you lose weight ? For how long you did it? please feel free for any suggestions.

When it comes to weight loss and gain, "calories in vs. calories out" is king. Forget the subtle nuances like nutrient partitioning, timing, etc. If you're stalled in losing weight, this simply means that one of the following is happening:
    -you are eating too much
    -you aren't doing enough in the way of activity
    I am starting from today intermittent fasting ( 24hours fasting for 1 day and 16/8 for 5 days and 1 day chating(carb reload).

If you're cutting, and stalling/plateauing on your weight loss, this is something to be VERY mindful of. When "cheating", it's easy to eat back your entire week's deficit in calories, if you decide to go completely off the rails with your reload (this should be a cheat meal that is higher than average in carbs and protein, not an all-out day of binging).

As for IF, I've been doing it for a few months now, and I've come to realize that people have a lot of misconceptions about it when they first start, the first one being that it allows them to "cheat the system" into eating more calories than they'd otherwise get to with the conventional three- or six-meal-a-day plans. You're still going to have to watch your caloric intake, and if you're not, then you'll plateau, regardless of what you try to employ next.

Best of luck to you.

Thank you for your reply. Yes I am in my last week recovery and I will start cutting next week with 3 days resistance training and 2 days HIIT. I am so close to my goal but I can never reach it. What kind of IF you are doing? Does it work?
  • yopeeps025
    yopeeps025 Posts: 8,680 Member
    Options

How exactly are you going to do this if you're not counting calories/measuring out portion sizes? I did the same thing as Shareena is doing and you still have to count calories with the plan. Very confused as to what you're actually looking for here OP? IF has to still include calorie counting, which you seem determined not to do. IF without calorie counting doesn't do anything magical for you and it won't help you lose weight.

OP is looking for a easy way to lose the last bit of weight.
  • zeinmr
    Options

I am counting calories and using mfp for that.
  • ndj1979
    Options

but what about your ancestors? They did not use MFP, or a food scale, so why should you?
  • zeinmr
    Options

but what about your ancestors? They did not use MFP, or a food scale, so why should you?

You are getting very redicoulous :)
  • dubird
    dubird Posts: 1,849 Member
    Options

You're really making this a lot harder on yourself than it needs to be. Suck it up, spend $15 on a food scale and get a better idea of where you're at in terms of calories consumed. You need to get an accurate starting point, in order to pin down where you've gone off track. You posted because you're not moving forward and everyone is telling you the same thing, including people who've successfully lost the weight and are now maintaining. Don't you think we might actually know what we're talking about here?

Eta: the whole intuitive eating thing is what got most of us here in the first place. It's also obviously not working out so great for you either, or you wouldn't be stuck where you're at.

Second this. I thought I had a good handle on how much I was eating until I actually started using a scale. Boy, was I wrong!!

And yes, our ancestors didn't measure their food. They spent the day growing/hunting it, thus using a lot more calories than the average person now. So why discount a very good way of helping you lose weight simply because people in the past didn't have it? Are you going to give up every bit of modern society simply because it wasn't done that way hundreds of years ago? I see nothing wrong with using every tool you can to help you lose weight and become healthier.

And for the record, most of my weight loss was done with JUST calorie counting. I can't do IF because it'll cause my blood sugar to crash (borderline hypoglycemic), I didn't substitute very much in way of foods, and I certainly didn't cut back on carbs! I love hot bread too much to cut it out of my diet! My eating habits are still not very good or very healthy (though a bit more than they used to be since we now cook dinner most nights instead of eating out), and I still indulge on junk food when it fits my daily goal. But using a scale and paying attention to portion sizes and how much of what I'm eating is the main thing that's helped me. What worked for me isn't going to work for everyone by any means, but I'm describing it to let you know that cutting carbs isn't a be-all-end-all solution for weight loss. Nor is cutting fat, or cutting sugar, or eating at specific times or whatever. If something like that helps you, more power to you. But at the heart of any proper diet change for weight loss is CICO.
  • ShareenaFulton
    ShareenaFulton Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    I will point out that my fasting means that I am in a calorie deficit when taken as a whole over the week. Added together, I have a calorie deficit that would be roughly similar to a diet of 1200 calories a day. It is simply that this deficit is achieved in a more irregular way. I still count my calories on my off days and they rarely go above the 1800-2000 mark.

IF wouldn't work if, say, you ate 500 calories one day and then some 3500 or so the next for the duration of your dieting. As others have said, you need to make sure that you come away at the end of the week with less calories consumed than your body burns. It's the only way it'll work.

Sorry if I'm stating the obvious, I just want to make sure that I haven't misled anyone. IF is just a different approach to cutting down calories, like any diet. It can't, however, help you to lose weight if you don't wish to lower your calorie intake. The only means to do this would be to increase your exercise.
  • ndj1979
    Options

You are getting very redicoulous :)

that is pretty ironic given your insulin comments and comment about not wanting to use a food scale.