Eat This, Not That!

Options
124»

Replies

• BABetter1
    BABetter1 Posts: 618 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    Wow, this thing got hijacked in a hurry. But I would agree with the sentiment of don't substitute unless it tastes just as good or better.

The best substitution I've made lately was in my meatloaf recipe:

Extra lean 97/3 ground turkey instead of beef
    Whole old fashioned oats instead of bread crumbs or crackers
    Cashew milk instead of dairy milk
    Egg whites instead of whole eggs
    Braggs amino acids instead of worcestershire sauce

I swear it was better than the old full fat version. Yummy.

ETA: I am a meatloaf fiend, and it was the BEST meatloaf I've ever made or eaten.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member
    Options
    malibu927 wrote: »
    I'm sorry, I love salads, but they are in no way a substitute for sweets. If I want something sweet I work it into my calories (and I do that pretty much every night).

I would agree that salad may not be a good substitute if you are craving a specific sweet, such as chocolate. But a salad with fruit and a sweet dressing is not a substitute for sweets, it is an alternative sweet. Fruit is sweet.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    I don't mean to hijack but since so many of you have the same recommendation.....if you want it, make room for it and eat it but how do you control yourselves? If I were to have a piece of pizza for dinner I think that would lead to two. Or if I have a brownie for dessert I know that would lead to more picking later in the evening. How do you summon up the willpower to stop at just one? I've been back on MFP for 2 weeks now and really trying to eat well but snacking is going to be the death of me.

wizzybeth's and mamapeach's answers really resonate with me too. I find that if I focus on positive things like getting enough protein, veggies, fiber, etc., that I will have room in my day for some extras, but not a huge amount (maybe 200 calories for ice cream), and I am happy using what's left and no more. The point is that I'm focusing on meeting certain goals, including nutritional ones and calories, of course, and it's not a matter of deprivation. I have what I have room for in my day and if I want more I'll be able to do so tomorrow. Since nothing is off limits, there's no need to eat it all now before I go back to "being good" or some such.

That said, I have found that when I eat something and the situation matters. Right now I'm struggling with stress eating at work and the best way to deal with that (when my willpower is low and there's lots of snacks around) is simply not to let myself snack. But at home after dinner I am not in the habit of snacking indiscriminately and don't have the same tendencies, so I can have dessert after dinner (and use the plan as a reason not to eat more than I should during the day, to have that room later), and won't go beyond that.

Also, for me, part of this was making a decision that I wouldn't go over my calories. I didn't make that too tough on myself--I used exercise calories and would have increased my limit if I was feeling hungry--but during my losing weight period I was pretty firm that except for days where I decided in advance I'd probably go over (some restaurant days, Thanksgiving, you know), my calories were my limit. So if I had 220 calories left and a half cup of my ice cream was 250, I'd have less than half a cup. For me, the calorie limit imposed a limit.

As for extra pizza at dinner, I decide in advance what I'm eating, put it on my plate, and put away the food. I simply don't have seconds, since I know I've had enough and the desire to keep eating (if it happens at all once the food is put away, which is rare) will go away.
  • HeySwoleSister
    HeySwoleSister Posts: 1,938 Member
    Options
    ceoverturf wrote: »
    The one and ONLY sub I make regularly is plain greek yogurt in place of sour cream. And pretty much only because I usually have plain greek yogurt on hand, and don't want to make a special trip to the store to get sour cream on the rare occasion I would use it.

Oh, that one actually is a good one. I do that too...for the same reason you do, and also because I'm always struggling to reach my protein goals and Greek Yogurt packs more protein than sour cream.

The only other sub I think is any good is if my allergies are making my throat tickle, I don't suck on hard candies or cough drops...I grab a frozen strawberry or raspberry instead. But, to be honest, I prefer the taste of the berries, anyway. :)
  • jkal1979
    jkal1979 Posts: 1,896 Member
    Options
    I don't mean to hijack but since so many of you have the same recommendation.....if you want it, make room for it and eat it but how do you control yourselves? If I were to have a piece of pizza for dinner I think that would lead to two. Or if I have a brownie for dessert I know that would lead to more picking later in the evening. How do you summon up the willpower to stop at just one? I've been back on MFP for 2 weeks now and really trying to eat well but snacking is going to be the death of me.

I quit bringing a whole pizza home. If I want pizza I will go to a place that sells it by the slice and get a slice or two. The same thing with other treats. I'll buy a single serving and enjoy it. Not only does it satisfy my cravings but I've found some good places that serve some really good food (like the ice cream place that makes their own ice cream and the pizza place that has all different types of toppings).
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    I do the greek yogurt for sour cream one for the same reasons--I never have sour cream anyway (I used to buy it on occasion and most would go bad) and love the extra protein.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member
    Options

Where we live there is no pizza delivery. So, it's quicker and cheaper to make pizza at home. I can make a 12 in thin crush pizza with lean meat, reduced fat cheese and veggies that comes in < 900 calories. So, I eat the whole thing. It's heaven.

When we want something sweet I'll make 4 cookies. We eat 2 each and there are none left sitting around for later. Or maybe little individual fruit pies or fruit/oatmeal crunch, or something of that nature, using mini pie pans. That way sweets aren't always just sitting around waiting to be easily eaten when hunger strikes. Nuts, leftovers from dinner, fresh fruit/veggies are the quick and easy grabs in our house.