Tear me a new one,gained 8lbs despite diet and exercise, please help

Options

Replies

• jssprague
    jssprague Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I took a look at your diary, too, because I had the same issues. Here's my take and you may or may not agree with some of my suggestions: First, you are now rocking more muscle than you think you have! That's awesome! All of that exercise is adding lean weight. You WANT that. Your measurements should give you a better idea of your actual SIZE, not WEIGHT. Second, your cheat days are pretty bad. It should be only a cheat MEAL, not a whole day. Don't eat longer than for 30 minutes during that meal. You will be less likely to eat way too much; your system has time to register all of the food. Third: you don't have enough fruits and veggies in your daily diet. You seem to eat several snacks that are full of sugar and your body is just trying to burn those calories off first before it can get to your body fat. Cut way back on your sugary snacks (or get rid all together and replace with apples and cheese sticks, prepackaged Tuna salad, etc.) and add at least one huge helping of green salad or steamed veggies to one meal. I know it's hard to prepare meals ahead but I swear by it. It will get the portion issues out of the way ahead of time and you won't have to guess. I usually make a huge salad at the beginning of the week and it keeps for up to 4 days or so. I have also found that when I stop eating after dinner, the pounds fall off quicker. Those nighttime calories were killing my efforts. These are just a few things I've tried and have had success with. I hope something works for you! Keep up the great effort!!
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    I am going with inaccurate logging + no food scale for 1000.00 Alex....
  • ASKyle
    ASKyle Posts: 1,475 Member
    Options
    Tighten up your logging. I've never eaten only one teaspoon of butter on a potato.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    I forgot to say one thing though... It's normal to retain water when you start exercising, plus if your period is due anytime soon, you could be retaining extra water too, so that might account for some of the weight gain.

Also it depends if you weighed at the same time, before eating etc too.
  • ndj1979
    Options
    jssprague wrote: »
    I took a look at your diary, too, because I had the same issues. Here's my take and you may or may not agree with some of my suggestions: First, you are now rocking more muscle than you think you have! That's awesome! All of that exercise is adding lean weight. You WANT that. Your measurements should give you a better idea of your actual SIZE, not WEIGHT. Second, your cheat days are pretty bad. It should be only a cheat MEAL, not a whole day. Don't eat longer than for 30 minutes during that meal. You will be less likely to eat way too much; your system has time to register all of the food. Third: you don't have enough fruits and veggies in your daily diet. You seem to eat several snacks that are full of sugar and your body is just trying to burn those calories off first before it can get to your body fat. Cut way back on your sugary snacks (or get rid all together and replace with apples and cheese sticks, prepackaged Tuna salad, etc.) and add at least one huge helping of green salad or steamed veggies to one meal. I know it's hard to prepare meals ahead but I swear by it. It will get the portion issues out of the way ahead of time and you won't have to guess. I usually make a huge salad at the beginning of the week and it keeps for up to 4 days or so. I have also found that when I stop eating after dinner, the pounds fall off quicker. Those nighttime calories were killing my efforts. These are just a few things I've tried and have had success with. I hope something works for you! Keep up the great effort!!

wow, what a wall of bro science....

how do you know OP has more muscle???

lean weight, what is that? Is that better than regular weight?

Sugar has nothing to do with OP's problems. Are you trying to say that if she ate sugar in a deficit, that her body would burn that off first and she STILL would not lose weight?
  • ndj1979
    Options
    OP - what are you using to measure exercise burns, and are you eating 100% of those calories back?
  • eacupp2101
    eacupp2101 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    you meontioned having noticed musscle definition and working out your weight could be muscle...also drink tons of water to help flush out your body it gets rid of a lot of stuff you dont need in its self...good job deciding to stick to my fitness pal :)
  • snowflake954
    snowflake954 Posts: 8,399 Member
    Options
    I think someone "qualified" needs to start a "muscle thread". The newbs seem to be confused as to how one acquires muscle. Hint---it's hard, and doesn't happen by accident. B)
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    jssprague wrote: »

This is complete and utter nonsense. I'll parse it out.
    First, you are now rocking more muscle than you think you have! That's awesome! All of that exercise is adding lean weight.

Nope. If she were eating in a deficit, she wouldn't be building more mass. Since she is almost certain eating in excess, and women gain 1-2 pounds of muscle per month at best, the best she can hope for is having gained 2 pounds of muscle and 6 pounds of fat since April 6. Not a great return!
    Don't eat longer than for 30 minutes during that meal. You will be less likely to eat way too much; your system has time to register all of the food.

To quote Miley Cyrus, HUNH?

Your food "registers" every bite of food you eat, no matter how fast you eat it. You can't speed eat and somehow trick your system. That's just silliness.
    You seem to eat several snacks that are full of sugar and your body is just trying to burn those calories off first before it can get to your body fat.

Weight Loss = Calories Out > Calories In.

Whether she eats 3 meals worth of pixie sticks or 3 traditionally "healthy" meals, that stays the same. It's about having a caloric deficit, bottom line. Eat sugary stuff doesn't prevent a person from losing weight unless said person is eating in caloric excess.

• AllOutof_Bubblegum
    AllOutof_Bubblegum Posts: 3,646 Member
    Options

I know I have to live off celery and egg whites and workout three hours a day to really make it work

False.

• ndj1979
    Options
    I think someone "qualified" needs to start a "muscle thread". The newbs seem to be confused as to how one acquires muscle. Hint---it's hard, and doesn't happen by accident. B)

I started one a while back .....it got about 30 pages deep before dying out...
  • PeachyCarol
    PeachyCarol Posts: 8,029 Member
    Options
    ndj1979 wrote: »

Cosigned.

I know some people are resistant to the idea of weighing their intake, but it is soooo very effective in getting your portions correct.

Here's a video showing the difference between eyeballing and using a scale:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vjKPIcI51lU

And here's another one where vismal is using spoons and such to measure and is measuring a packaged food:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e5sovhvLAig
  • snowflake954
    snowflake954 Posts: 8,399 Member
    Options

It needs to be resurected every now and again. It'a amazing how many people always come up with "but you're probably gaining muscle" card. And they're really convinced too. I notice it's usually the newer posters. B)
  • ndj1979
    Options

Cosigned.

I know some people are resistant to the idea of weighing their intake, but it is soooo very effective in getting your portions correct.

And here's another one where vismal is using spoons and such to measure and is measuring a packaged food:

damn, that first video is crazy!!! 2900 VS 1700!!????
  • ndj1979
    Options

It needs to be resurected every now and again. It'a amazing how many people always come up with "but you're probably gaining muscle" card. And they're really convinced too. I notice it's usually the newer posters. B)

apparently, building muscle is easy and everyone can do it just by doing 50 minutes of turbo jam and eating 1200 calories...
  • Katiebear_81
    Katiebear_81 Posts: 719 Member
    Options
    Not that it really matters, but I thought the "eat only for 30 minutes" thing as "don't sit and eat really fast, or don't let your meals drag on, so you can read your satiety signals more easily". An effort to keep the cheat meal smaller/lower calorie.
  • PeachyCarol
    PeachyCarol Posts: 8,029 Member
    Options

Cosigned.

You know what scares me so much about that? To me, so many of those things look the same. I am TERRIBLE at eyeballing.

And even for the ones that look different? How easy would it be for that coffee to get a little lighter each day before you realized it? Or to add just a tiny bit more and more PB to the sandwich over time? I'm thinking ahead to maintenance with these kinds of questions.

I'm so glad I've seen that video. I don't care that I'll need a food scale to measure accurate portions forever, I'm just glad I know it.

• acollis1
    acollis1 Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    Donuts, potato chips, pizza OH MY! You need to weigh/ measure everything! Try cutting out some of the crap, you take in alot of sodium! One day you were over by almost 2000 caloires, it only takes 3500 to equal 1 pound, and you were over a couple other days too, it adds up. Allow yourself a "cheat" once a week, not everyday!
  • ndj1979
    Options

Cosigned.

You know what scares me so much about that? To me, so many of those things look the same. I am TERRIBLE at eyeballing.

And even for the ones that look different? How easy would it be for that coffee to get a little lighter each day before you realized it? Or to add just a tiny bit more and more PB to the sandwich over time? I'm thinking ahead to maintenance with these kinds of questions.

I'm so glad I've seen that video. I don't care that I'll need a food scale to measure accurate portions forever, I'm just glad I know it.

I was thinking about it, and if you figure that there are about 12 items on the table and if each one just had 100 calories more in it, then boom! there is 1200 calorie difference. And with something like peanut butter or granola 100 calories can be like an ounce, which is not that much of a difference from an eyeball standpoint.

Here is something that I do that has helped me with eye balling for when I am at a restaurant or something. I will guess the weight before I weigh it and then see how close I am. I have found that doing this over the years has made me pretty good at eyeballing....
  • ndj1979
    Options
    acollis1 wrote: »
    Donuts, potato chips, pizza OH MY! You need to weigh/ measure everything! Try cutting out some of the crap, you take in alot of sodium! One day you were over by almost 2000 caloires, it only takes 3500 to equal 1 pound, and you were over a couple other days too, it adds up. Allow yourself a "cheat" once a week, not everyday!

*sigh* ..eating "crap" has nothing to do with it. It is the fact that the logging is not accurate and non use of a food scale.

You can eat donuts and what not, be in a deficit, and still lose weight.