Tear me a new one,gained 8lbs despite diet and exercise, please help

Options

Replies

• Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    Options
    3400 calories yesterday, and lots of unweighted guesstimate entries.

Not seeing much of a mystery here....
  • PeachyCarol
    PeachyCarol Posts: 8,029 Member
    Options
    ndj1979 wrote: »
    I am going with inaccurate logging + no food scale for 1000.00 Alex....

Cosigned.

I know some people are resistant to the idea of weighing their intake, but it is soooo very effective in getting your portions correct.

Here's a video showing the difference between eyeballing and using a scale:

And here's another one where vismal is using spoons and such to measure and is measuring a packaged food:

When you purposefully lay out a table to hide calories and demonstrate how much difference there can be between weighing food and eyeballing it, of course there is going to be a large difference. Most people don't underestimate their calories by as much as the guy in the video did. The larger the meal, the more people underestimate. For smaller meals, people are pretty good at guessing. Weighing one's food is one way to handle the problem, but not having a food scale isn't necessarily going to cause someone to eat too much.

Please stop generalizing.

This person who started this thread is obviously having a problem.

You coming in here with your anti-food scale agenda isn't being helpful.

There was also the matter of the second video I posted. You didn't address that one, I noticed.

• PeachyCarol
    PeachyCarol Posts: 8,029 Member
    Options
    you eat to much
    When you gain you eat to much calories

Now the cause can be not weighing your food
    Here a small video in addition to the earlier posted video's

Short one showing only what a difference it makes for some peanut butter and oats So two kinds of foods that makes hundreds of difference by weighing on a food scale or measuring cups.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JVjWPclrWVY

Just be more accurate in your logging!

I'm so glad you posted this one. I was looking and looking for it, but couldn't remember what it was called!

• girlviernes
    girlviernes Posts: 2,402 Member
    Options
    Obviously it is not literally required to use a food scale to lose weight, but especially if you are going to the trouble to log your food, why not actually increase your accuracy?
  • Sarasmaintaining
    Sarasmaintaining Posts: 1,027 Member
    Options
    sofaking6 wrote: »
    isulo_kura wrote: »
    No one has mentioned the thyroid yet ;) because as well as MFP being able to build muscle at incredible rates it also has the highest rate of thyroid issues on the planet

Also I have noticed that for anyone 30-39, the 30's are when it gets harder to lose weight. Repeat for the 40's, 50's and 60's. Everyone struggling is just in that one decade where it's not as easy as it is for everyone else.

Oh and I'm happy to have learned today that pointing out when someone is incorrect is exactly the same as nailing them to a cross and letting them die in slow agony. I guess from now on I'll take my hammer wherever I go...

So true lol.
  • girlviernes
    Options
    lol I'm actually having the easiest time in my 30s because I took my head out of my tuckus.
  • sofaking6
    sofaking6 Posts: 4,589 Member
    Options
    lol I'm actually having the easiest time in my 30s because I took my head out of my tuckus.

And I'm finding it not so bad in my 40's since mostly I'm too tired to go out drinking. SO MANY LEFTOVER CALORIES.
  • atypicalsmith
    atypicalsmith Posts: 2,742 Member
    Options
    I am going with inaccurate logging + no food scale for 1000.00 Alex....

Cosigned.

I know some people are resistant to the idea of weighing their intake, but it is soooo very effective in getting your portions correct.

Here's a video showing the difference between eyeballing and using a scale:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vjKPIcI51lU

And here's another one where vismal is using spoons and such to measure and is measuring a packaged food:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e5sovhvLAig

I LOVE both of these!
  • girlviernes
    Options
    sofaking6 wrote: »

And I'm finding it not so bad in my 40's since mostly I'm too tired to go out drinking. SO MANY LEFTOVER CALORIES.

Yay for fatigue!!
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,573 Member
    Options
    acollis1 wrote: »
    Donuts, potato chips, pizza OH MY! You need to weigh/ measure everything! Try cutting out some of the crap, you take in alot of sodium! One day you were over by almost 2000 caloires, it only takes 3500 to equal 1 pound, and you were over a couple other days too, it adds up. Allow yourself a "cheat" once a week, not everyday!

Yeah I read the thread and looked at her diary, she's way over and inaccurate. Its amazing how people crucify you for suggesting a little clean eating. You don't have to be so exact with your measurements when your eating whole foods. Palm size serving of lean meat, one piece of fruit, handful of nuts. If measuring and weighing is too overwhelming this is an option

Oh please. A handful of nuts has more calories than my two pieces of bacon weighed out on the scale.
  • arditarose
    Options
    Donuts, potato chips, pizza OH MY! You need to weigh/ measure everything! Try cutting out some of the crap, you take in alot of sodium! One day you were over by almost 2000 caloires, it only takes 3500 to equal 1 pound, and you were over a couple other days too, it adds up. Allow yourself a "cheat" once a week, not everyday!

Yeah I read the thread and looked at her diary, she's way over and inaccurate. Its amazing how people crucify you for suggesting a little clean eating. You don't have to be so exact with your measurements when your eating whole foods. Palm size serving of lean meat, one piece of fruit, handful of nuts. If measuring and weighing is too overwhelming this is an option

Oh please. A handful of nuts has more calories than my two pieces of bacon weighed out on the scale.
  • sciencenovice
    sciencenovice Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    I remember my 20s when I'd "watch" what I ate, changed to "lite" beer, worked out 20min a day, and lost 89lbs in a year.

Now it's complicated weighing, measuring, logging, and macro this and micro that. *kitten* I know it's worth it but damn it's so much harder than I ever thought
  • girlviernes
    Options
    I remember my 20s when I'd "watch" what I ate, changed to "lite" beer, worked out 20min a day, and lost 89lbs in a year.

Now it's complicated weighing, measuring, logging, and macro this and micro that. *kitten* I know it's worth it but damn it's so much harder than I ever thought

I don't think that is a typical experience (losing close to 100 lbs with very minor changes). Welcome to the club of most people who have to really pay attention.
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    I've lost weight in my 20s and 30s and don't feel that there is any difference. Today I have an easy app for logging calories instead of slate, chalk, and an abacus. But other than that it's the same.
  • girlviernes
    Options
    jemhh wrote: »
    I've lost weight in my 20s and 30s and don't feel that there is any difference. Today I have an easy app for logging calories instead of slate, chalk, and an abacus. But other than that it's the same.

hahaha
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options

*sigh* ..eating "crap" has nothing to do with it. It is the fact that the logging is not accurate and non use of a food scale.

You can eat donuts and what not, be in a deficit, and still lose weight.

Well since eating crap at a deficit isn't working for her..... For me if I eat junk I don't lose weight, I feel bloated and my performance suffers in my workouts. When I eat good healthy food my body responds much better to my efforts. That's all I'm saying!

OP is no where near a deficit.

Please list some healthy and unhealthy food and the reason that each said food is either healthy or unhealthy ...
  • macgurlnet
    macgurlnet Posts: 1,946 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    arditarose wrote: »

The idea that a handful of nuts is a good snack is so misleading. I can have all of about 12 almonds for that. It sometimes does the trick but not always.

For 30 more calories I can eat an english muffin with a scrambled egg, cheese & turkey sausage. So much more bang for my buck there.

ETA:
    jemhh wrote: »

lol!

~Lyssa
  • girlviernes
    Options
    I love my fatty nuts, but yes, measuring is required.
  • arditarose
    Options
    macgurlnet wrote: »

The idea that a handful of nuts is a good snack is so misleading. I can have all of about 12 almonds for that. It sometimes does the trick but not always.

For 30 more calories I can eat an english muffin with a scrambled egg, cheese & turkey sausage. So much more bang for my buck there.

~Lyssa

Agreed. Nuts have their place but are not a low calorie snack. At least for people like me who prefer volume.
  • atypicalsmith
    atypicalsmith Posts: 2,742 Member
    Options
    macgurlnet wrote: »

~Lyssa

Agreed. Nuts have their place but are not a low calorie snack. At least for people like me who prefer volume.

30 grams of pistachios seriously fills me up. I eat them slowly and relish every one.