Meal Replacement Shakes

Options
1235»

Replies

• ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,670 Member
    Options
    acollis1 wrote: »
    Like I said in a previous post it's not long term. No one bothers to read what you say unfortunately :( This is usually why I don't post on these forums because everyone jumps down your throat. Thanks anyway for your opinions and thoughts.

Exactly, it's a shame. I will ocassionally use a MRS on the weekends for lunch when I'm running my kids here and there and I want to avoid fast food. I use either Shakeology, or Vegan Smart. Just make sure whatever you use isn't loaded with unknown ingredients. Do what works best for you, like I was so kindly reminded the other day, it doesn't matter what you eat as long as you're in a deficit, LOL!
    Since supplements/shakes aren't regulated by the FDA (it's DSHEA protected), companies can put whatever they want on their labels. There are fillers and contaminants that aren't mentioned in any of the labels. Shakeology and Vegan Smart don't make their products................a 3rd party does. So how are you assured that what you're consuming IS what's on the label?

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

• MakePeasNotWar
    MakePeasNotWar Posts: 1,329 Member
    Options
    ninerbuff wrote: »
    acollis1 wrote: »
    Like I said in a previous post it's not long term. No one bothers to read what you say unfortunately :( This is usually why I don't post on these forums because everyone jumps down your throat. Thanks anyway for your opinions and thoughts.

Exactly, it's a shame. I will ocassionally use a MRS on the weekends for lunch when I'm running my kids here and there and I want to avoid fast food. I use either Shakeology, or Vegan Smart. Just make sure whatever you use isn't loaded with unknown ingredients. Do what works best for you, like I was so kindly reminded the other day, it doesn't matter what you eat as long as you're in a deficit, LOL!
    Since supplements/shakes aren't regulated by the FDA (it's DSHEA protected), companies can put whatever they want on their labels. There are fillers and contaminants that aren't mentioned in any of the labels. Shakeology and Vegan Smart don't make their products................a 3rd party does. So how are you assured that what you're consuming IS what's on the label?

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

Wouldn't that apply to protein shakes and vitamins as well? Most people on MFP (myself included) are pretty comfortable using those without worrying about unlisted contaminants and fillers.
  • ericalo
    ericalo Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Today I started the Optifast diet. It it 3 meal replacement shakes a day plus two cups of vegetables. I have been half heartardly dieting for years, but now I need to see some results.mthis is going to make it very straight forward and simple. Once I lose some weight it will motivate me to lose some more. I know how to eat properly, I just don't do it because I am down on myself (mainly because of my extra weight), when I am down on myself I eat. Anything. I eat anything and lots. So this is going to be good for me.
  • PopeyeCT
    PopeyeCT Posts: 249 Member
    Options
    I came on here to ask people if they were doing a similar plan and how it works for them and I understand everyone's opinion of doing the plan will be different. From what I've learnt from this forum is that people are very nasty.

It's not nasty to give you advice that you don't agree with. It's honest.

I would suggest that you go to the website of whatever diet shake plan company you are using. They all have websites with forums where you can find lots of other people using that particular product and compare stories. It sounds like that what you are looking for and clearly you won't find it here.

• bmele0
    bmele0 Posts: 282 Member
    Options
    I've been drinking/ eating protein shakes/bars for 2 years now. Like I said, I'm more than well aware of other meal options in that calorie range and I do make them, but on the go or quick fix- those are my go-to. I cook at home as well and weigh food, so I'm A-OK on understanding portion sizes. I don't rely on them solely and I don't think there is anything about them that will make me lose more weight faster or anything like that.
  • Carol_
    Carol_ Posts: 469 Member
    Options
    When I find I keep eating more than I meant to at meals, I will have a Vanilla slim fast for a couple meals a day. It works for me. I only do it once in a while...to get back on track.
  • allenpriest
    allenpriest Posts: 1,102 Member
    Options
    ceoverturf wrote: »
    I just can't believe the nastiness more than anything to be honest. Very disheartening.

Not one person has been nasty toward you. Not ONE.

This. If all you want is for someone to tell you what you want to hear you are in the wrong place. And unless you deal with the stress and emotional issues you referred to, you will probably continue to struggle with weight. I did it for years and until I got help for the reasons I was turning to food for comfort I couldn't successfully keep weight off.
  • marcuma
    marcuma Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    PopeyeCT wrote: »
    I came on here to ask people if they were doing a similar plan and how it works for them and I understand everyone's opinion of doing the plan will be different. From what I've learnt from this forum is that people are very nasty.

I would suggest that you go to the website of whatever diet shake plan company you are using. They all have websites with forums where you can find lots of other people using that particular product and compare stories. It sounds like that what you are looking for and clearly you won't find it here.

Actually, a lot of you were implicitly nasty. Diets don't work because people eat to much when the go back to old habits.

Research shows that there is nothing wrong with plans like optifast. Regain is exactly the same as any other diet if you go right back.

You were nasty because you treated her like she is an idiot and like you all know everything about everything.
  • juggernaut1974
    juggernaut1974 Posts: 6,212 Member
    Options
    marcuma wrote: »
    PopeyeCT wrote: »

Actually, a lot of you were implicitly nasty. Diets don't work because people eat to much when the go back to old habits.

Research shows that there is nothing wrong with plans like optifast. Regain is exactly the same as any other diet if you go right back.

You were nasty because you treated her like she is an idiot and like you all know everything about everything.

Well, thank goodness you bumped a 2+ week old thread to put everyone in their place.
  • maca416
    maca416 Posts: 142 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    Yes I'm using Slimfast for a few weeks just to start me off again & it always works for me. What does not work is my choice of food later on & your talking perhaps a year later when I start eating crap, that's when the weight comes back on not because I stopped using the shakes after a few weeks.

Shakes have always given me good results & helped get me started on a positive note & they have never caused me to put the weight back on, my food choice has.

Enjoy them & the results then just replace the shakes with sensible foods.