Squats? Deadlifts? Safe or too risky?

Options
13»

Replies

• KombuchaCat
    KombuchaCat Posts: 834 Member
    Options
    I can understand being conflicted about this. Obviously this guy is doing something right if he's kept himself in good shape into his 50's. However that doesn't mean that some of his advice may be based on outdated ideas. I think squats and deadlifts are fine if you do them with proper form and go to your edge without overduing it.
  • icrushit
    icrushit Posts: 773 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    I've actually found deep bodyweight squats ("posterior!" to heels) a great way to rehab the knees, and lunges too to a lesser extent. Lunges usually when my knees are in a better place though. I admit though if I were carrying an injury in an area, I personally wouldn't be inclined towards load bearing movements on that area, as I would prefer to back off that area for a little, rather than run the risk of injury and have a longer break forced on me.
  • Ilikelamps
    Ilikelamps Posts: 482 Member
    Options
    draznyth wrote: »
    You can injure yourself if you do them wrong with poor form. I see it in the gym all the time, and I cringe. I think some people just stop because they have pain. But, it's not because they are bad, it's because they are doing them wrong. There are many different ways to get to do them right. YouTube, or hire a trainer. Just because someone is ripped doesn't mean they know what they are doing. I heard a guy in the gym telling some woman that no one HAS to do squats. And, that's true, but I think its poor advice if someone wants to try it.

no one has to squat. all you have to do is eat, sleep, breathe, drink, and maintain a reasonable body temperature.

wait, and squat. you have to squat. my bad.

are you using reasonable body temperature to insinuate good looking people vs non good looking people!???
  • trusty48
    trusty48 Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    There is a lot of good advice about proper form here- my guess is that my friend may have learned improper form and subsequently got injured. His reaction was negative because of his painful memories.

For the record- he's not a trainer or a guru, just a friend. I was asking his advice because I knew he had knee injuries and wanted his advice on my knee. (Incidentally, he recommended RICE and to get it checked out if it didn't improve quickly- which thankfully it has).

• trusty48
    trusty48 Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    I can understand being conflicted about this. Obviously this guy is doing something right if he's kept himself in good shape into his 50's. However that doesn't mean that some of his advice may be based on outdated ideas. I think squats and deadlifts are fine if you do them with proper form and go to your edge without overduing it.

This is what I think too.

My suspicion is that he learned how to do squats from his coaches in high school/college- which was more than a few years ago.
  • DopeItUp
    DopeItUp Posts: 18,771 Member
    Options
    draznyth wrote: »
    You can injure yourself if you do them wrong with poor form. I see it in the gym all the time, and I cringe. I think some people just stop because they have pain. But, it's not because they are bad, it's because they are doing them wrong. There are many different ways to get to do them right. YouTube, or hire a trainer. Just because someone is ripped doesn't mean they know what they are doing. I heard a guy in the gym telling some woman that no one HAS to do squats. And, that's true, but I think its poor advice if someone wants to try it.

no one has to squat. all you have to do is eat, sleep, breathe, drink, and maintain a reasonable body temperature.

wait, and squat. you have to squat. my bad.

Clearly. Friends don't let friends skip leg day.