The Clean Eating Myth

Options

Replies

• lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options

Protein powder - Natural Force or Legion or AllMax - if you read the ingredients, it's pure stuff. Yeah is there a "process" absolutely. Natural Force is endorsed by the Paleo Foundation - the only endorsed supplement product on the market by that very foundation. They don't throw their name around.

Done with thread. Have fun. Hope you didn't stay up all night and lose sleep over this.

OMG there is a Paleo Foundation?!

http://paleofoundation.org/wp-content/uploads/2015/04/Our-Services.pdf

Hilarious. This is my favorite part:

"In a recent poll in the largest online Paleo Community group [conveniently not identified], 100% of paleo adherents said they would try a new product simply because it displayed a Paleo Foundation label..."
  • yopeeps025
    yopeeps025 Posts: 8,680 Member
    Options
    psulemon wrote: »
    I thought about this late yesterday - Person A Clean, Person B Not Clean (meaning some level of junk food not all) - Person A eats more fiber technically - so for 1500 calories per person, Person A loses the most weight. Why? Insoluble fiber is not digestible - and it's proven metabolically that not all of a whole foods calories are digestible - but certainly the processed foods eaten by Person B would be digestible - that difference right there means Person A will always lose the most weight.

That is an assumption about B. I am not a clean eater and frequently have 30g of fiber a day.

Person A will always eat more fiber - because there won't be anything processed to eat - just whole foods. Person B will always be replacing something in their 1500 calories with processed food and we all know that most processed food will not contain the fiber equivalent to Person A.

Again - we have to know what Person A and Person B are eating and have to define what a typical day would be for each. Otherwise, this conversation is pointless.

That has nothing to do with weight loss.
  • Sarasmaintaining
    Sarasmaintaining Posts: 1,027 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    One of the 'clean' eaters posted a challenge yesterday (Pu?), challenging someone to eat only Mcds for one year. I'd do it in a heartbeat, and my husband is on board with the idea. I actually sent McDs corporate an email yesterday pitching the challenge-I'd blog about eating only Mcds for 365 days, they'd get some publicity and in return-they pay for all the food. It it goes further, MFP will be the first to know :p

What, are you thinking this is going to be the rebuttal to Super Size Me? I confidently predict that McD's won't touch your proposal with a stick.

And why would you even put yourself through it? If you adhere to the 'rules' of the challenge (I believe it was specifically stated that you would be ordering typical McD meals not the salads) then you will become very unhealthy very quickly. The SSM guy gained 24lbs in 30 days as well as myriad other health problems and it took him over a year to recover.

The rules of the challenge weren't really flushed out but if I actually did it, I would make a point to order every single thing off of the menu. That includes everything from super sized fries and Big Macs, to their salads with regular dressing, to their desserts and fancy coffees (that would probably be the hardest part of the challenge for me because I hate coffee blech).

And no, not really a rebuttal to Super Size Me-that's already been done with the documentary Fat Head, where surprises surprise that guy lost weight and improved his blood panels on his all McDonalds diet. Because he was staying within calorie and macros parameters, which is what I'd do. Also, Spurlock and Naughtton only did it for a few weeks. To my knowledge no one's done it for a full year and documented it.

As I remember the blood panels of the author of Fat Head weren't stellar at the end of his McDonalds experiment (he improved afterwards, adopting a HFLC diet).
    This other fellow ate at McDonalds for 6 months, and yes he lost weight and improved his health:
    http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/world-news/teacher-eats-mcdonalds-every-meal-5684791
    but he was eating a "healthy" menu.
    To be fair, your experiment should be as dirty as possible :smile:

Well, isn't part of the argument against McDonalds and fast food, is that it's all dirty/bad/unhealthy/crap/junk etc, regardless of what you order? Their salads still come with processed chicken, salad dressings, croutons etc etc. :)

Anywhoo-I don't think McDs will actually take me up on my offer and I can't afford to do it on my own (besides the food there would be costs involved in setting up a blog, paying for extra blood work panels etc etc). But 'if' I did end up taking on the challenge, I'd order everything from their menu throughout the challenge, and I would not focus on salads, anymore than I would, say cheeseburgers. Every day I'd chose foods that 1. fit into my calorie/macros goals for the day and then 2. what sounds good that day. I also do 16:8IF, and I don't think I'd give that up, so it would be interesting to see how that would come into play. My current eating window is 11am-7pm, which bypasses their breakfast menu. I'd have to adjust it to 10am-6pm or something, in order to include all their menu options.

The more I think about it, the more I really want to do the challenge-I love taking on whacky projects, and this challenge definitely falls into that category :p

eta: thanks for the link, I'll have to check it out!

Probably they won't accept simply because you are already lean and healthy, so your story wouldn't be so interesting.

Ah, you bring up a very interesting point-so in fact, could someone continue to be healthy/healthy weight while eating Mcds for a year? Wouldn't that go against everything being put forth by so many of the 'clean' eaters here-that fast food/'dirty' food is detrimental to ones health and weight, and if you eat it you're causing all sorts of havoc to your body? According to them, I should not only gain weight, but also ruin my health during the course of the challenge. Obviously I disagree with this. I think having someone do this challenge who's already in maintenance and in good health would actually be pretty interesting.

I did go back through and find the original challenge/dare (it was Ted, not Pu like I had originally thought)-"Better yet - eat McDonalds ONLY for ONE year. No salads - just their core foods, burgers, fried foods - ONE year - and come back and tell us how you really feel - WITH blood work - before and after. I double dare you."

And the 'clean' eating mentality flaw is right there in the challenge-so many 'clean' eaters think it has to be one extreme or the other, with no middle ground for a balanced diet that includes everything a person enjoys eating. I think it's possible to eat a well balanced diet from McDonalds available menu, meet my calorie and macros targets, and keep maintaining my positive weight and health. This would include Big Macs and fries, that I enjoy eating, as well as their salads, which I also enjoy. The last time I went to Mcds I got their grilled bacon chicken ranch salad, with regular ranch dressing, and then a small fry and a water. A solid calories/macros meal for my goals.

OP-sorry I totally hi-jacked your post, I'll step out now so you can continue the debate with your original scenario :)
  • Chrysalid2014
    Chrysalid2014 Posts: 1,038 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    lemurcat12 wrote: »

Protein powder - Natural Force or Legion or AllMax - if you read the ingredients, it's pure stuff. Yeah is there a "process" absolutely. Natural Force is endorsed by the Paleo Foundation - the only endorsed supplement product on the market by that very foundation. They don't throw their name around.

Done with thread. Have fun. Hope you didn't stay up all night and lose sleep over this.

"In a recent poll in the largest online Paleo Community group [conveniently not identified], 100% of paleo adherents said they would try a new product simply because it displayed a Paleo Foundation label..."
    annaskiski wrote: »

They've spoken to the cavemen personally.

I don't follow the Paleo WOE, but I looked at that site just out of interest, and their ideals and mission statment seem to be very principled, i.e. they envisage a healthier world and campaign for sustainable farming practices and help for small-scale farmers. Surely these are things we all believe in?
    Oh, but never mind that... let's get back to the scorn and ridicule....
  • Justygirl77
    Justygirl77 Posts: 385 Member
    Options
    I eat clean. And it matters.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options

I don't follow the Paleo WOE, but I looked at that site just out of interest, and their ideals and mission statment seem to be very principled, i.e. they envisage a healthier world and campaign for sustainable farming practices and help for small-scale farmers. Surely these are things we all believe in?

that is hilarious considering your previous post about a false choice between eating a twinkie and dying earlier..

• janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options

Even assuming we all agree with the core mission of the Paleo Foundation, why does that mean that some of their actions or statements can't be critiqued?
  • ndj1979
    Options
    I eat clean. And it matters.

what does it matter for??????????
  • ndj1979
    Options

I think I have my next business idea....
  • urloved33
    urloved33 Posts: 3,323 Member
    Options
    ndj1979 wrote: »
    yopeeps025 wrote: »
    MrM27 wrote: »
    I can't believe you guys are still entertaining this crowd. I can't wait for the day when this whole crowd cruelly puts up progress pictures to show the application of all their awesome beliefs.

Stay tune for July when I have another physical with bod pod. I will gladly post my results. I want to see how much more I can naturally increase my testosterone.

I think for my next thread, I am going to post my lab results and watch all the clean eaters heads explode.

In your picture it seems you are basically a young healthy guy..why would you lab results be bad? Your young and often times the result of our bad behavior shows up in the later years of our life...where is your habits leading you...to age well or deteriorate...for the most part we all can go without sleep...drink to much, eat lousy food when we are young...that is not the barometer we use to measure our healthy behaviors and habits.

• ndj1979
    edited May 2015
    Options
    urloved33 wrote: »
    I can't believe you guys are still entertaining this crowd. I can't wait for the day when this whole crowd cruelly puts up progress pictures to show the application of all their awesome beliefs.

Stay tune for July when I have another physical with bod pod. I will gladly post my results. I want to see how much more I can naturally increase my testosterone.

I think for my next thread, I am going to post my lab results and watch all the clean eaters heads explode.

In your picture it seems you are basically a young healthy guy..why would you lab results be bad? Your young and often times the result of our bad behavior shows up in the later years of our life...where is your habits leading you...to age well or deteriorate...for the most part we all can go without sleep...drink to much, eat lousy food when we are young...that is not the barometer we use to measure our healthy behaviors and habits.

because the clean eating crew is insinuating that anyone that eats all foods in moderation is not as healthy as a clean eater because they are lacking nutrients.

ETA - I just re-read the last part of your statement...If I am eating nutrient dense foods now, hitting micros, working out, and have nearly perfect blood work, what would I have to worry about? As I have labs down every year it stands to reason that my dr would notice if my blood work started to tail off....
  • lemurcat12
    Options

Even assuming we all agree with the core mission of the Paleo Foundation, why does that mean that some of their actions or statements can't be critiqued?

Like claiming 100% of people who eat paleo will buy something based on a label.

Weren't we told a while back that "clean" means no label?

Also, nice to know that the Paleo Foundation's success percentage is up there with your average dictator after "free" elections. Well, even they usually only get like 98%.
  • yopeeps025
    yopeeps025 Posts: 8,680 Member
    Options

That is incorrect. I guess I will ask my doctor for my previous blood work(almost weighed 50 more pounds). I was in shape on the outside but not on the inside. The age really doesn't make a difference. That why I said I will post my July stats to show that even at a young age blood work can improve from a non clean diet.
  • lemurcat12
    Options

Why are you assuming he has unhealthy habits?
  • Chrysalid2014
    Chrysalid2014 Posts: 1,038 Member
    Options

Also, nice to know that the Paleo Foundation's success percentage is up there with your average dictator after "free" elections. Well, even they usually only get like 98%.

Presumably the label you're referring to is a certification so people don't have to personally visit every supplier who gets their custom to check that the food they're buying meets certain Paleo standards... whatever those may be. I think I read something about grass-feeding, perhaps that's one of them.

Similarly I buy stuff that has a Fairtrade label; does that mean I'm an idiot or should I fly to Costa Rica personally every time I buy coffee to check out the working conditions on the plantation myself?

Critique is good if it's constructive, so why don't we try that rather than jokes about cave men? How would you improve the 'clean eating' movement? I think one thing that's come out of all this is people would like a more definitive guide on what does/doesn't qualify as clean.
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options

Presumably the label you're referring to is a certification so people don't have to personally visit every supplier who gets their custom to check that the food they're buying meets certain Paleo standards... whatever those may be. I think I read something about grass-feeding, perhaps that's one of them.

Similarly I buy stuff that has a Fairtrade label; does that mean I'm an idiot or should I fly to Costa Rica personally every time I buy coffee to check out the working conditions on the plantation myself?

Critique is good if it's constructive, so why don't we try that rather than jokes about cave men? How would you improve the 'clean eating' movement? I think one thing that's come out of all this is people would like a more definitive guide on what does/doesn't qualify as clean.

But (presumably) you wouldn't buy a new product simply BECAUSE it had a Fairtrade label.
  • Sarasmaintaining
    Sarasmaintaining Posts: 1,027 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options

I'm not who you're quoting, but I'm in my 30s, and I used to be overweight and unhealthy (glucose number in the pre-diabetic range). By focusing on CICO, and continuing to eat all the foods that I enjoy, my weight and health improved, including having a normal glucose number every single time I get it tested now. So I actually went in the opposite direction that you say will happen.

I've also been able to maintain my weigh loss and good health for over two years now. I eat the foods I enjoy, don't box myself in with arbitrary rules, and it's something I can keep doing pretty easily over the next 40+ years. I will adjust my calorie goals as I age, and as my fitness goals change (right now I'm not doing a whole lot, but that may change down the road and I'll adjust my calories accordingly), and I will continue to maintain successfully my good weight and good health :)
  • urloved33
    urloved33 Posts: 3,323 Member
    Options

I'm not who you're quoting, but I'm not young (will be 37 this year), and I used to be overweight and unhealthy (glucose number in the pre-diabetic range). By focusing on CICO, and continuing to eat all the foods that I enjoy, my weight and health improved, including having a normal glucose number every single time I get it tested now. So I actually went in the opposite direction that you say will happen.

I've also been able to maintain my weigh loss and good health for over two years now. I eat the foods I enjoy, don't box myself in with arbitrary rules, and I'm doing something I can keep doing pretty easily over the next 40+ years. I will adjust my calorie goals as I age, and as my fitness goals change (right now I'm doing a whole lot, but that may change down the road), and I will continue to maintain successfully my good weight and good health :)

lol. 37 IS young.