Explain importance of Ketosis in CICO

Options

Replies

• suessm
    suessm Posts: 33 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    What do you eat? I can't fathom how to get 80% fat and fat is my one macro I never had an issue hitting. Do you have a sample menu?

Easy saturated fat! Yeah, you're probably thinking this guy is going to die of a heart attack when you see what I eat, but before I tell you, I ate this daily for over a month before I had blood work done, and I mean everything...lipid panel, vitamin levels, you name it, I wanted to be sure I wasn't harming myself... the tests came back perfectly normal.

Ready? I doubt you are, but here it goes:

Breakfast: 8 breakfast sausage patties, 3 tbsp butter. 1 tbsp MCT oil.

Lunch: 2 brats, 4 tbsp butter, 1 tbsp MCT oil

Dinner: 2 egg omelette (with cheese, sausage, ham and bacon,) 5 tbsp butter, 1 tbsp MCT oil.

Once I was Keto-adapted, it was hard to eat that much, and sometimes I didn't eat dinner, but still drank the MCT oil.

What I have learned, MCT oil throws me into ketosis fast.. I once took 2 tbsp in one sitting, and went from 0.3 mmol/dl to 2.1 mmol/dl in about an hour... Felt like $#it for about 3 hours after. That stuff is a godsend for ketosis.

Michael.
  • jorinya
    jorinya Posts: 933 Member
    Options
    Um, you posted information about yourself in a public forum. This poster isn't sharing your personal information or publicizing your secrets. Come on.

My diary is in the public forum. Sorry were you on the other thread earlier? If not you don't know how it started or who started it.
  • HeySwoleSister
    HeySwoleSister Posts: 1,938 Member
    Options
    wabmester wrote: »
    Potatoes are very satiating. Potato chips? Not so much. If you can just avoid those calorie-dense foods that aren't satiating, you're doing great. Low-carb can just make that a no-brainer.

Well, that seems to contradict the theory that it's fat that sates...chips Have a higher fat-to-carb ratio and if you believe the hype (spoiler alert: I don't) those fatty chips should be more satisfying than a baked potato.
  • jorinya
    Options
    jorinya wrote: »
    Um, you posted information about yourself in a public forum. This poster isn't sharing your personal information or publicizing your secrets. Come on.

My diary is in the public forum. Sorry were you on the other thread earlier? If not you don't know how it started or who started it.

What?

Exactly so if you don't know what the person was referring to its best you don't comment on what you haven't seen. But thanks for your input.
  • myfelinepal
    myfelinepal Posts: 13,000 Member
    Options

What?

Exactly so if you don't know what the person was referring to its best you don't comment on what you haven't seen. But thanks for your input.

Maybe private arguments should remain private.

Derailing a thread is against the community guidelines.
  • whmscll
    whmscll Posts: 2,254 Member
    Options

What?

LOL, nice try! (Shakes head over this arguement)
  • jorinya
    Options

What?

I didn't derail it someone brought me in as an example and said my opinion from a different thread differed for my post in this. I did not mean to derail the thread but if you feel I did then I apologise but I suggest you read back and see where I started. Once again sorry all.
  • jorinya
    Options
    As I said before all this started, I am following a plan that uses ketosis for a maximum of 12 weeks. I also would like to hear from the others who have more experience than I have with ketosis if they have experienced any aide effects and if they are using it as a means of weight loss or for medical reasons as the article in the link that was provided stares.
  • wabmester
    wabmester Posts: 2,748 Member
    Options
    wabmester wrote: »
    Potatoes are very satiating. Potato chips? Not so much. If you can just avoid those calorie-dense foods that aren't satiating, you're doing great. Low-carb can just make that a no-brainer.

Well, that seems to contradict the theory that it's fat that sates...chips Have a higher fat-to-carb ratio and if you believe the hype (spoiler alert: I don't) those fatty chips should be more satisfying than a baked potato.

I'm pretty sure studies have shown that fat is no more satiating than carbs. But when carbs are low enough, fat promotes ketosis, and ketosis seems to lower hunger. So it's not the fat per se, but the ketones made from fat.
  • lindsayk324
    lindsayk324 Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    galbracj wrote: »
    It seems controlling carbs to the degree that an individual maintains ketosis has been a successful way for many to lose weight. I have seen several threads re: "Atkins" and "South Beach" diets being successful because carbs are less satiating than fat and protein. My curiosity is how ketosis is even relevant if we think even these diets still depend on CICO.

Thanks!

You are correct. To achieve weight loss with a keto diet, you still need to follow the CICO rule. Ketosis is just one of many metabolic pathways that we use to break down our food into chemical building blocks and energy, and it uses fat as the starting input. Some people find high fat meals satiating, so keto works great for them. But everyone has a different macro nutrient preference, and keto is just a word used to describe a particular macro breakdown. If you're curious, it wouldn't hurt to try a keto-style macro split. Evaluate how you feel after giving it a few weeks. But you're right, there's no one macro split that's best for weight loss -- for weight loss, it's CICO. If you're not interested in that macro split or it doesn't work for your lifestyle, then no worries, you're not missing out on anything!

• jorinya
    Options
    @shell1005, thanks for that info. Im building up to slowly adding more protein rich foods and veggies as started on liquid because if damage to my stomach due to illness and not been able to get treatment because of the trouble caused by the election here (live in Nigeria). Couldn't get to a hospital or doctor or get medicine sent to me by family so that's chow the liquid thing started. (Don't mind sharing this info cos someone can possible help on what I'm going to ask next). If I say get to the stage where I could eat at a normal deficit and still lose weight while finding out what food to avoid that effects my stomach, what foods should I really stay away from if I want to keep in ketosis that can also aid healing my stomach and the damage done? Please I really would like to know because already green peppers are making my stomach hurt.
  • lindsayk324
    lindsayk324 Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    shell1005 wrote: »
    Eskimos for example eat a mainly ketogenic diet on a continued basis.

To be fair, that's more a function of their environment than anything else. Where would Eskimos get significant sources of carbohydrates from? I'm not sure what sources of carbohydrates they'd even eat.

Humans are still evolving on an appreciable timescale, anyway. It's in our DNA to eat carbs, some ethnicities more than others!

• suessm
    suessm Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    tumblr_ly1dkvZ2SF1qzawi5o3_500.gif

Oh my gawd, NNNNOOOOOOOO!!!!

I forget the number of books I have read that say the same thing... It is a large number... Unsaturated fats are not healthy! One good book comes to mind... "Toxic Oil", look it up. It's a short read, and very enlightening.

If one book only said it, it'd tend not to believe it, but when at least ten, from different authors and different eras say the same thing, it holds more weight...

Michael.