Explain importance of Ketosis in CICO

Options

Replies

• wabmester
    wabmester Posts: 2,748 Member
    Options
    Potatoes are very satiating. Potato chips? Not so much. If you can just avoid those calorie-dense foods that aren't satiating, you're doing great. Low-carb can just make that a no-brainer.
  • suessm
    suessm Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    I've been limiting my carb intake for about two months, down to levels of like under 20g/day (like Atkins,) and increased my fat intake, so to put myself into ketosis... My ratios are 5% carbs, 15% protein, 80% fat. I lost 80 lbs in those two months, and without any extra exercise of any kind. I have a desk job, and averaged about 5000 steps a day, so again, not too active. Ketosis is good, not a fad. I tried to increase my carbs to under 50g/day, and increased my protein and I stopped losing... Need to go back.

If you want to know more, let me know, I can tell you some tricks to throw yourself into ketosis faster... MCT! Anyway, far too much to discuss in this reply. Again, if you're truly interested in ketosis, let me know... I've experienced it, lived through it, live it.

Michael.
  • jorinya
    jorinya Posts: 933 Member
    Options
    galbracj wrote: »
    shell1005 wrote: »
    Ketosis isn't important, necessary or crucial to CICO.

Ketosis is a metabolic state where most of the body's energy supply comes ketone in the blood in contrast to a state of glycolysis where blood glucose provides most of the energy.

FYI: During the evening when we are sleeping our bodies usually revert to ketosis. A low carb ketogenic diet encourages our bodies to remain in that state 24/7.

Those who use a low carb diet as they weight loss program use it because it often comes with diminished hunger pains and cravings. Aka...for many, myself included, it helps people maintain a deficit easier than other programs. It is still a CICO program though since a low carb ketosis diet will not work if you do not maintain a deficit.

Thanks, this is exactly what I was looking for.

Do you have more energy when you are in ketosis? I find myself getting tired more than I would like.

There are many weight loss plans out there that start with ketosis, however it is not recommended to go over 12 weeks. I'm on a diet that allows me to go up and down a step if I wish so not in ketosis for too long. Absolutely full of energy, able to get to Level 3 of 30 Day Shred, only on day 3. I have lots of strength. Feel great and my skin, nails and hair have never looked better.
  • jorinya
    Options
    Nope. There is no reason that one should not stay in ketosis for longer than 12 weeks if they so choose.

Here is a link to a research study which shows as much:

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2716748/

If you read my post you would have seen I said NOT RECOMMENDED to give over 12 weeks. So I don't get the nope!!
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options
    suessm wrote: »
    I've been limiting my carb intake for about two months, down to levels of like under 20g/day (like Atkins,) and increased my fat intake, so to put myself into ketosis... My ratios are 5% carbs, 15% protein, 80% fat. I lost 80 lbs in those two months, and without any extra exercise of any kind. I have a desk job, and averaged about 5000 steps a day, so again, not too active. Ketosis is good, not a fad. I tried to increase my carbs to under 50g/day, and increased my protein and I stopped losing... Need to go back.

If you want to know more, let me know, I can tell you some tricks to throw yourself into ketosis faster... MCT! Anyway, far too much to discuss in this reply. Again, if you're truly interested in ketosis, let me know... I've experienced it, lived through it, live it.

Michael.

80lbs in 2 months? How much were you eating? That doesn't seem possible. That's 10lbs a week...unless you had a really large amount to lose? Were you under medical supervision for this?
  • AllonsYtotheTardis
    AllonsYtotheTardis Posts: 16,947 Member
    Options

Michael.

Sounds like utter *kitten* to me
  • myfelinepal
    myfelinepal Posts: 13,000 Member
    Options
    jorinya wrote: »
    Nope. There is no reason that one should not stay in ketosis for longer than 12 weeks if they so choose.

Here is a link to a research study which shows as much:

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2716748/

If you read my post you would have seen I said NOT RECOMMENDED to give over 12 weeks. So I don't get the nope!!

It's a double negative. The study advocates that it's fine to do ketosis for 24 weeks with no ill effects.

But, one study. Always do your own research.*

*I have no knowledge/opinion either way.
  • Robertus
    Robertus Posts: 558 Member
    Options
    SuggaD wrote: »
    carbs are less satiating than fat

This gets thrown out a lot on this site as if it's a universal truth. It is not. While many people do find that fats are satiating, many others either do not find them satisfying or only find them satisfying when eaten with carbs and protein.

"Volume" eaters who like the feeling of a bulky meal will do better with FIBER for satiety, (And, yes, fiber is a type of carbohydrate) and fast eaters may find themselves feeling deprived when a fatty plate is empty so very quickly (fat has more calories per gram than other macros)

There are several medical conditions which respond well to a low carb or keto diet. However, for weight loss alone? Low carb isn't needed. Some people find it suits their preferences, but otherwise it's totally unnecessary.

This. I've been trying to figure out what makes me stay full longest for breakfast, and protein and fats don't do it for me. I have a carb heavy breakfast of pancakes with eggs, sausage, bacon, and fruit, then I have to force myself to eat lunch. Not too full, but just right for over 4 hours. Love dem carbs!
    Well, for what it's worth, your eggs, sausage and bacon have a lot of protein.

• 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options

Michael.

@suessm
    What do you eat? I can't fathom how to get 80% fat and fat is my one macro I never had an issue hitting. Do you have a sample menu?
  • myfelinepal
    myfelinepal Posts: 13,000 Member
    Options

Michael.

@suessm
    What do you eat? I can't fathom how to get 80% fat and fat is my one macro I never had an issue hitting. Do you have a sample menu?

tumblr_ly1dkvZ2SF1qzawi5o3_500.gif
  • JPW1990
    JPW1990 Posts: 2,424 Member
    Options

Ketosis is a metabolic state where most of the body's energy supply comes ketone in the blood in contrast to a state of glycolysis where blood glucose provides most of the energy.

FYI: During the evening when we are sleeping our bodies usually revert to ketosis. A low carb ketogenic diet encourages our bodies to remain in that state 24/7.

Those who use a low carb diet as they weight loss program use it because it often comes with diminished hunger pains and cravings. Aka...for many, myself included, it helps people maintain a deficit easier than other programs. It is still a CICO program though since a low carb ketosis diet will not work if you do not maintain a deficit.

Do you have more energy when you are in ketosis? I find myself getting tired more than I would like.

There are many weight loss plans out there that start with ketosis, however it is not recommended to go over 12 weeks. I'm on a diet that allows me to go up and down a step if I wish so not in ketosis for too long. Absolutely full of energy, able to get to Level 3 of 30 Day Shred, only on day 3. I have lots of strength. Feel great and my skin, nails and hair have never looked better.

15 years and counting. Guess you've been misinformed.
  • JPW1990
    JPW1990 Posts: 2,424 Member
    Options

Michael.

@suessm

http://www.reddit.com/r/ketorecipes

Those are pretty standard keto macros.
  • jorinya
    Options
    As previously stated it is best to do your own research. I'm only going by what my dietitian told me and what I researched. Since March 22 I've been in ketosis and only see benefits. There are some that experience hair loss. My skin and hair have never been better. My nails are not breaking as much. The link posted actually did mention some side effects.
    Different people always have different view points on every subject. Medical studies don't always say the same thing.
  • jorinya
    Options
    JPW1990 wrote: »

15 years and counting. Guess you've been misinformed.

It that for medical reasons or by choice. Please don't think I'm prying, its just that the link above mentioned benefits to certain medical conditions. I'm not looking for details, just a yes or no answer please.

• jorinya
    Options
    As previously stated it is best to do your own research. I'm only going by what my dietitian told me and what I researched. Since March 22 I've been in ketosis and only see benefits. There are some that experience hair loss. My skin and hair have never been better. My nails are not breaking as much. The link posted actually did mention some side effects.
    Different people always have different view points on every subject. Medical studies don't always say the same thing.

Hmm. This seems like a very different sentiment than the one you shared earlier today on the thread where it came to light that you are on a liquid only 600 calorie a day diet because you were still trying to recover and hospitalized for a month for an illness that almost took your life.

That is a study that is on the National Institute of Health. That isn't just a silly little study. There is nothing dangerous about being on a low carb diet. If people are experiencing hair loss it is because they are nutrient deficient in some way. That has nothing to do with low carb and ketosis if it is done correctly.

I do agree though that it is best to do your own research and make sure that what you are doing is medically sound. I couldn't agree with that more.

Excuse me but who asked you to share info on me again. Were you not one of those that said I was doing something dangerous and again my diary should have been set to friends only. I never asked for your input to my diet and have not asked you to share personal information about me. So I suggest you find another person to study and belittle them in a public forum that has rules against such thing. What I do is my business unless I feel like sharing it and not when people, who were not asked to publicise personal info feel like doing so. I'm following Cambridge Weight Plan which isn't a fab and recommended to my by my doctor because of my medical history. Research them if you like but leave me out of it.
  • jorinya
    Options
    Btw, chicken, iceberg lettuce, prawns and mackerel are not liquid the are solid food so I suggest you research what liquid means.