Explain importance of Ketosis in CICO

Options
1235»

Replies

• suessm
    suessm Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    Well, using the CICO strictly and thinking that a calorie (kcal) is a calorie, is a calorie, is false thinking... Sugars/alcohols take nothing to metabolize, both fats and proteins take about twice as much energy to metabolize into a useable energy source (from what I recall.) So just keep that in mind. Plus you don't get fat from fat, you get fat from carbs, more exactly from fructose... Okay, before I get spammed with replies that you can acquire fat from more than fructose, such as gorging yourself with huge amounts of calories, I concede, but let's assume that we're not looking at extreme cases.
  • eric_sg61
    eric_sg61 Posts: 2,925 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    suessm wrote: »
    Well, using the CICO strictly and thinking that a calorie (kcal) is a calorie, is a calorie, is false thinking... Sugars/alcohols take nothing to metabolize, both fats and proteins take about twice as much energy to metabolize into a useable energy source (from what I recall.) So just keep that in mind. Plus you don't get fat from fat, you get fat from carbs, more exactly from fructose... Okay, before I get spammed with replies that you can acquire fat from more than fructose, such as gorging yourself with huge amounts of calories, I concede, but let's assume that we're not looking at extreme cases.

DNL is rare in humans, and dietary fat is the easiest to store. Look at overfeeding studies.
    http://suppversity.blogspot.com/2014/12/the-overfeeding-overview-high-fat-carb.html
    "In the short run, like on refeed days, for example, carbohydrate overfeeding has another advantage over fat overfeeding, because it takes roughly 500g of carbohydrates (that's 2,000kcal) before even a single gram of those carbs is converted to fat and potentially, but not necessarily stored as body fat (Acheson. 1988) - at "only" 400kcal extra from carbs for one day there was no net lipogenesis at all (see Figure 5). This result is corroborated by data from McDevitt et al. (2000) who observed that the fat gain with fat overfeeding starts with day 1, while there is a time gap in the increase in body fat with carbohydrate overfeeding (McDevitt. 2000)."
  • stevencloser
    stevencloser Posts: 8,911 Member
    Options

The differences in TEF are small. Even if you were to consume only one macronutrient and nothing else you wouldnt get much of a difference.
  • wabmester
    wabmester Posts: 2,748 Member
    Options

The differences in TEF are small. Even if you were to consume only one macronutrient and nothing else you wouldnt get much of a difference.

The TEF associated with excess protein ultimately stored as fat can be fairly high since the process is so inefficient (catabolism to amino acids, followed by gluconeogenesis, and finally fatty acid synthesis).

But that is a relatively small effect compared to the effect of ketones on hunger. Ketosis is mostly about signalling your brain to eat less.