Why is Belgium so Skinny?

Options
jgnatca
jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
I've been analysing cluster diet data published by the WHO, comparing against a world obesity map, and I'm finding unusual results. Belgium and the Netherlands do not have an obesity problem (less than 10% of the population), even though they consume almost 3,000 grams a day; higher than North America's diet of just over 2,000.

BelgiumHighCalLowObesity.jpg

Not only that, they're carb-high! How does one explain this? My working theory is that this is a happy country, with possibly a more active population. Do they walk to work?

This does seem to fly in the face of the CICO model, and the theory that weight loss starts in the kitchen.

Puzzling.

Replies

• usmcmp
    usmcmp Posts: 21,220 Member
    Options
    Why would it fly in the face of the CICO model? If they are active they would need more calories. Football (soccer for Americans) is huge over there as is cycling.
  • slaite1
    slaite1 Posts: 1,307 Member
    Options
    It's probably not that the whole population actively exercises, but I bet they are more active in general. Walk more, take the stairs, active job, hobbies after work.

Yes, your calories in take priority when you are only active an hour a day at the gym. You simply won't burn off those 3000 calories by sitting at a desk all day and then taking a 60 minute spin class. But being more active all day is a much easier, more sustainable way to increase your TDEE. This concept does support CICO. You can just afford more calories in when you're not a lazy American (such as myself!)
  • jgnatca
    Options
    I can't confirm that the Belgians are that much more active, @usmcmp. If they are, then CICO still works.
  • jgnatca
    Options
    With a mere 10% obesity rate, I'd say a good part of the country is doing things "right".
  • usmcmp
    Options
    From a friend who lives in Belgium
    Sports are a big factor in Belgian life. Primary and Secondary school students have Wednesday afternoon off to dedicate to extra-curricular activities such as sports and hobbies. Traditional sports include football, basketball, tennis, cycling, gymnastics, swimming, horse riding and athletics. Various competitions, leagues and open meets usually draw a good crowd. This might play some part in the very low obesity level in Belgium.
  • jmooose
    jmooose Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    I'm live in the U.S and visited the Netherlands this spring break, at the time I was 5"9 205lbs.
    they're biking population is huge! people bike casually to friends house, or bike to work in suits. Haha everyone does it, and they all seem so healthy. It was super motivational and I think I saw less than 10 fat people my whole 10 days there hahah.
    I've lost 30lbs and am now 175 after visiting Europe. It was amazing.
  • Robertus
    Robertus Posts: 558 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    I've lived in Belgium for over 7 years. Up through the age of university, the kids all seem to be very fit. No childhood obesity epidemic as there is here. Up through university, they all ride bikes year-round as there is rarely snow. Good youthful habits surely impact positively later adulthood obesity statistics. Some adults also ride bikes, but there are also quite a few adults who are significantly overweight, not as bad as here, of course, but they do indeed eat very, very well in my experience. Are there figures on average weight? Not just obesity, but overweight statistics? In my experience Belgians are not happier than other people.
  • jgnatca
    Options
    Great anecdotal observations.
  • keithmustloseweight
    keithmustloseweight Posts: 309 Member
    Options
    3000 grams?
    3000kcal?
  • greco16
    greco16 Posts: 465 Member
    Options
    I visited Belgium last year. There were lots of salads and fresh fruits and vegetables available everywhere, even in fast food establishments.
  • usmcmp
    Options
    greco16 wrote: »
    I visited Belgium last year. There were lots of salads and fresh fruits and vegetables available everywhere, even in fast food establishments.

My friend said this as well. They generally eat one "hot meal" per day and the rest of the time it is light salads and sandwiches.
  • Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    jgnatca wrote: »
    I've been analysing cluster diet data published by the WHO, comparing against a world obesity map, and I'm finding unusual results. Belgium and the Netherlands do not have an obesity problem (less than 10% of the population), even though they consume almost 3,000 grams a day; higher than North America's diet of just over 2,000.

The US diet is higher than 2000 cal/day, you're using bad data for the CI side.

This does seem to fly in the face of the CICO model, and the theory that weight loss starts in the kitchen.

I don't see how you come to such a conclusion without understanding the CO side of it.
  • weavingtheweb
    weavingtheweb Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    I'm Dutch and didn't believe those figures so I checked and while the obesity figure is correct, about 48 % is overweight...
  • jgnatca
    Options
    @Robertus, I refer to a happiness index when I speak of one country being happier than another. Belgium is indeed "happier" or at least has a lot less to worry about than say, Egypt or Saudi Arabia. These two countries rate very high on the obesity map (greater than 35%), eat fewer calories (average 1,664 grams daily) than the Belgians, but also rate as not very "happy". Their macro ratios by the way, are almost the same as Belgium's.

The obesity rating is based on having a BMI greater than 30.
  • slucki01
    slucki01 Posts: 284 Member
    Options
    I've worked in both Belgium and The Netherlands. Both country have lots of healthy food, they're big on sports and people bike a lot -- especial in The Netherlands.
  • vixtris
    vixtris Posts: 688 Member
    Options
    If only American schools dedicated to the education of physical fitness like Belgium! I would have loved to do horseback riding! :D
  • jgnatca
    Options
    The US spends more per child on schooling than Belgium does, but they are both in the top 5.

http://www.oecd.org/education/skills-beyond-school/48630868.pdf
  • jgnatca
    Options
    3000 grams?
    3000kcal?
    3000 grams
  • Robertus
    Robertus Posts: 558 Member
    Options
    I'm Dutch and didn't believe those figures so I checked and while the obesity figure is correct, about 48 % is overweight...
    That's what I suspected.

• Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    Options
    jgnatca wrote: »
    3000 grams?
    3000kcal?
    3000 grams

Of what? Water?

Because 3000g of carbs is 12,000 calories. And 3000g of fat is 27,000 calories.