Why is Belgium so Skinny?

Options

Replies

• dsalveson
    dsalveson Posts: 306 Member
    Options
    Lots of walking and cycling in both cities. Although if I lived in Belgium I think I would eat way more waffles and fries than I could ever walk off.
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 25,104 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    jgnatca wrote: »
    Belgium and the Netherlands do not have an obesity problem (less than 10% of the population), even though they consume almost 3,000 grams a day; higher than North America's diet of just over 2,000.

Not only that, they're carb-high! How does one explain this? My working theory is that this is a happy country, with possibly a more active population. Do they walk to work?

This does seem to fly in the face of the CICO model, and the theory that weight loss starts in the kitchen.

Puzzling.

Not puzzling at all. Have you been there? I have. Lots of walking. Lots of cycling. Maybe I noticed because I was walking and cycling myself when I was in both Belgium and the Netherlands. It's so easy to get around that way.

1) There is nothing wrong with carbs. It's the calories that matter.

2) This does not fly in the face of CICO ... if you're active, you're burning more calories.

3) As for weight loss beginning in the kitchen ....
    -- You can lose weight by cutting back what you're eating and not exercising or not exercising much.
    -- You can lose weight by continuing to eat what you normally eat, but increase the exercise.
    -- You can lose weight by doing a combination of those things.

I've done each one of those at different times. All three work.
  • fr3smyl
    fr3smyl Posts: 1,418 Member
    Options
    I honestly believe it has something to do with their chocolate.
  • dsalveson
    dsalveson Posts: 306 Member
    Options
    dsalveson wrote: »
    Lots of walking and cycling in both cities. Although if I lived in Belgium I think I would eat way more waffles and fries than I could ever walk off.

**countries o_O
  • Machka9
    Options
    jgnatca wrote: »
    even though they consume almost 3,000 grams a day; higher than North America's diet of just over 2,000.

Not only that, they're carb-high!

Methinks you're getting your units of measure mixed up.

The unit of measure should be calories.

• Machka9
    Options
    fr3smyl wrote: »
    I honestly believe it has something to do with their chocolate.

The chocolate was indeed good. :)

However, waffles have been mentioned, and I don't recall seeing or eating those. Of course, we were cycletouring and camping so we used grocery stores and made our meals rather than eating in restaurants, so that might explain why I don't recall waffles.

• SherryTeach
    SherryTeach Posts: 2,836 Member
    Options
    I've traveled in Europe many times. For the most part, serving sizes are smaller in restaurants and at home and people do not snack. They also don't walk down the street carrying Big Gulp containers. Since the proliferation of fast food, Europeans have gained weight. They have started to adopt the worst of American habits.
  • Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    Options
    So did we ever resolve the "3000g" thing?
  • Machka9
    Options
    Mr_Knight wrote: »
    So did we ever resolve the "3000g" thing?

I think she means 3000 calories.

People confuse things like grams and carbs with calories.

• Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    Talking about serving sizes.... from what I've seen American servings are much larger than the norm. For example, your small big mac meals, are our large size :confounded:
  • Machka9
    Options
    Talking about serving sizes.... from what I've seen American servings are much larger than the norm. For example, your small big mac meals, are our large size :confounded:

Yes, speaking as a Canadian who has been living in Australia for the last 6 years ... and who has travelled all over the US, Europe, and a few other places ...

American servings are HUGE!! Like you say, their small big mac meals are the Aussie larges.

I notice it especially in the drink sizes. In the US, you order a large drink from a fast food outlet, and you get a bucket .... plus free refills. In Australia, you order a large drink, and you get the US small drink ... medium maybe if you're lucky. And there are no refills!

Serving sizes in non-fast food restaurants are different too ... huge in the US ... although I've hit some parma & chips meals here in Australia that have been quite large.

And buffets are popular in the US where you can gorge yourself ... and then go back for more! We encountered some in the southern US states where about the only vegetable on offer was cream corn. I don't think I've been to a buffet in Australia although I do hear rumours sometimes that small ones exist. Oh wait, I have! One particular restaurant had a Sunday brunch buffet which they put on for about 4 hours once a month, I think. They offered something like 10 choices ... very small.

Most places I've been don't have anything like what the US serves up.

• KarenJanine
    KarenJanine Posts: 3,497 Member
    Options
    rainbowbow wrote: »
    ?.. participants in Britain up to 20 pence (32 U.S. cents) per mile -- all of it tax-free.

Do you have a source for this scheme in Britain? I wasn't aware of it and I've cycle commuted 10 miles per day for the last 6 years, so if it exists I want in!

The scheme I am aware of is the 'cycle to work scheme' where employees are offered tax breaks on the cost of buying a new bike for commuting purposes. But the scheme is very flawed as it's actually a bike hire plan, where a sum is deducted from monthly salary pre-tax, but at the end of the 'hire' period, the cyclist must pay a lump sum if they want to keep the bike. Overall the savings are minimal (if anything) and when I looked into it I was better off purchasing a bike myself on a 0% interest credit card.
  • KarenJanine
    KarenJanine Posts: 3,497 Member
    Options
    There's no evidence in the OP that this flies in the face of CICO. If the average consumption is 3000 calories, then it would seem that the CO side is equal to this.
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    Hehe @Machka9 I don't think I've encountered a chicken parmy yet, that wasn't hanging off the side of the plate! :bigsmile:
  • Curtez
    Curtez Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    They dont gorge on fried food and donuts and sit 24 hrs a day like the US
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    MrM27 wrote: »
    Hopefully next time someone chooses to start some sort of Belgium thread it will be about someone actually interesting, like waffles.

Here's a Belgian-themed gastropub in Chicago. I can recommend.

http://www.hopleafbar.com

Probably not many low cal options, though.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    rainbowbow wrote: »
    the cities have great infrastructure for bikes. Almost every single road has a bike lane that is protected and has it's own lights. They are always well maintained and free of snow, trash, debris, etc. Even when construction is being done there are always new bike lanes/ramps/etc. put out for cyclists....
    So atleast here, they made the environment more difficult AND expensive to drive, while being cheaper/faster to bike.

This is huge, of course. My city is probably really bike friendly for an American city, and yet it's nothing like that, and over half the population is in the suburbs, most of which have added challenges for significant bike commuting (not all--and some are great for biking for errands).
  • randomtai
    randomtai Posts: 9,003 Member
    Options
    In for the mysterious 3000 grams and American shaming.
  • isulo_kura
    isulo_kura Posts: 818 Member
    Options
    In because I like Belgium
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options
    In for the OP to once again use crappy WHO data and critical thinking? Not even once