Replies

• usmcmp
    usmcmp Posts: 21,220 Member
    Options
    jgnatca wrote: »
    3000 grams?
    3000kcal?
    3000 grams

3000 grams of carbs? That's 12,000 Calories.
  • janjunie
    janjunie Posts: 1,200 Member
    Options
    @Robertus, I refer to a happiness index when I speak of one country being happier than another. Belgium is indeed "happier" or at least has a lot less to worry about than say, Egypt or Saudi Arabia. These two countries rate very high on the obesity map (greater than 35%), eat fewer calories (average 1,664 grams daily) than the Belgians, but also rate as not very "happy". Their macro ratios by the way, are almost the same as Belgium's.

The obesity rating is based on having a BMI greater than 30.

I've been to Saudi Arabia and Saudis are fat for the same reasons American's are fat. There are way to many fast food places and everyone drives or is driven somewhere. I highly doubt Saudis eat less than 2000 calories on average the country is rich, full of food and doesn't have much to worry about. Just a little education
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    @Mr_Knight , these grams do indeed also include consumption of liquids.
  • Iri_2
    Iri_2 Posts: 349 Member
    Options
    I'm Belgian. We might not have an obesity problem yet, but almost 50% of our population is overweight...
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    Plump and happy then, @Iri_2 ?
  • Robertus
    Robertus Posts: 558 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    @Robertus, I refer to a happiness index when I speak of one country being happier than another. Belgium is indeed "happier" or at least has a lot less to worry about than say, Egypt or Saudi Arabia. These two countries rate very high on the obesity map (greater than 35%), eat fewer calories (average 1,664 grams daily) than the Belgians, but also rate as not very "happy". Their macro ratios by the way, are almost the same as Belgium's.

The obesity rating is based on having a BMI greater than 30.
    Oh, OK. They do have less to worry about than here. Healthcare and higher education (through doctorate) are paid for by taxes/government so these two stressors are much less than in the US. What I was asking about was not the cut-off for obesity, but rather the percentage of people overweight, ie, overweight but not necessarily obese. Weavingtheweb quoted a 48% overweight figure for Holland. How does that compare with other countries.

• usmcmp
    usmcmp Posts: 21,220 Member
    Options

Where are you getting that they eat 12,000 calories worth of carbs per day? Show us a link.
  • AllOutof_Bubblegum
    AllOutof_Bubblegum Posts: 3,646 Member
    Options

This makes zero sense. Either you are reading a totally whack study, or you are very confused.
  • zyxst
    zyxst Posts: 9,135 Member
    Options
    usmcmp wrote: »

Where are you getting that they eat 12,000 calories worth of carbs per day? Show us a link.
    In to learn where 3000 grams comes from.
  • GiddyupTim
    GiddyupTim Posts: 2,819 Member
    Options
    I do not mean to quibble....But I believe the obesity rate in the Netherlands is about 12 percent. That is the rate quoted most frequently, anyway. It has increased in the last 20 years or so, too. But, it is true that the obesity rate there remains much lower than in most other European countries, where the rate has been increasing a lot more.
    The Dutch decided to encourage cycling in the 1970s. There were a lot of road deaths of cyclists hit by cars, and then there was the oil crisis of 1973, and so the government made efforts to make cycling more safe and to promote it as transportation.
    The central train station in the city of Groningen has underground parking for 10,000 bikes, and I have read that in Amsterdam commuting by bicycle has become so popular that people have trouble finding places to park them all!
    It is estimated that 38 percent of all trips in Amsterdam are made by bicycle. (By comparison, 2 percent of trips in London are bike trips.)
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    What I'm kinda getting out of this is Belgium et al focuses more on Calories Out than Calories In... If a lot of the population bikes everywhere this would explain why their obesity rates aren't as high as those of us who drive everywhere. This is obviously a very simplistic view....

jg can you explain what you mean by 3000g... 3000g of what? Does 3000g equal 3000 calories??

• Robertus
    Robertus Posts: 558 Member
    Options
    Or frites with mayonaise or any of 20 other popular sauces, eg, curry ketchup.
  • rainbowbow
    rainbowbow Posts: 7,490 Member
    Options
    Belgium:
    People: 10,827,519
    Bicycles: 5,200,000
    Cyclists: ~48%
    In Belgium 8% of all trips are made by bike and 48% commute daily by bike. The average distance cycled per person per day is 0.9 km. In Belgium, cycling commuters are being paid 20 euro cents(29 U.S. cents) per kilometer, where as those in the Netherlands can earn 15 cents and participants in Britain up to 20 pence (32 U.S. cents) per mile -- all of it tax-free. In Belgium, a popular cycling nation and home to five-time Tour de France and Giro D'Italia winner Eddie Merckx, finance ministry figures show that more than 270,000 people took part in the scheme in 2010, up from 140,000 in 2006. In 2010, that meant the Belgian tax man paid out 43 million euros ($62 mln) to those who bill for cycling to work.

Netherlands:
    People: 16,652,800
    Bicycles: 16,500,000
    Cyclists: ~99.1%
    In the Netherlands 27% of all trips and 25% of trips to work are made by bike. The average distance cycled per person per day is 2.5 km. Holland and bicycles go together like bread and jam. Despite the recession the cycle-happy Dutch are still spending a lot of money on their bicycles – nearly 1 billion euros’ worth a year. About 1.3 million bicycles were sold in the Netherlands in 2009, at an average price of 713 euros ($1,008) each. Amsterdam (the capital and largest city of the Netherlands) is one of the most bicycle-friendly large cities in the world. It has 400 km of bike lanes and nearly 40% of all commutes in Amsterdam are done on bike.

Of course there's where i live:
    Denmark:
    People: 5,560,628
    Bicycles: 4,500,000
    Cyclists: ~80.1%
    In the Denmark 18% of all trips are made by bike.The average distance cycled per person is 1.6 km. Cycling is generally perceived as a healthier, cheaper, environmentally friendlier and often even quicker way to travel around towns than car or public transport and it is therefore municipal policy for the number of commuters by bike to go up to 40% by 2012 and 50% by 2015. In Copenhagen (the capital of Denmark) 37% of all citizens ride their bike on a daily basis. The local town hall even offers the visitors rental bikes for free.Interesting fact: the average travelling speed in Copenhagen is 16 kph for cyclists and 27 kph for cars.

The fact of the matter is they have the infrastructure, knowledge, laws, and schemes in place to make being more active and riding to work the BETTER, easier, cheaper option.

So to answer your question? They are significantly more active on a daily basis. Even if you aren't biking you are walking around more often than the average desk-job American.
  • rainbowbow
    Options
    rainbowbow wrote: »
    Belgium:
    In Belgium 8% of all trips are made by bike and 48% commute daily by bike. The average distance cycled per person per day is 0.9 km. In Belgium, cycling commuters are being paid 20 euro cents(29 U.S. cents) per kilometer, where as those in the Netherlands can earn 15 cents and participants in Britain up to 20 pence (32 U.S. cents) per mile -- all of it tax-free. In Belgium, a popular cycling nation and home to five-time Tour de France and Giro D'Italia winner Eddie Merckx, finance ministry figures show that more than 270,000 people took part in the scheme in 2010, up from 140,000 in 2006. In 2010, that meant the Belgian tax man paid out 43 million euros ($62 mln) to those who bill for cycling to work.

Netherlands:
    In the Netherlands 27% of all trips and 25% of trips to work are made by bike. The average distance cycled per person per day is 2.5 km. Holland and bicycles go together like bread and jam. Despite the recession the cycle-happy Dutch are still spending a lot of money on their bicycles – nearly 1 billion euros’ worth a year. About 1.3 million bicycles were sold in the Netherlands in 2009, at an average price of 713 euros ($1,008) each. Amsterdam (the capital and largest city of the Netherlands) is one of the most bicycle-friendly large cities in the world. It has 400 km of bike lanes and nearly 40% of all commutes in Amsterdam are done on bike.

Denmark:
    In the Denmark 18% of all trips are made by bike.The average distance cycled per person is 1.6 km. Cycling is generally perceived as a healthier, cheaper, environmentally friendlier and often even quicker way to travel around towns than car or public transport and it is therefore municipal policy for the number of commuters by bike to go up to 40% by 2012 and 50% by 2015. In Copenhagen (the capital of Denmark) 37% of all citizens ride their bike on a daily basis. The local town hall even offers the visitors rental bikes for free.Interesting fact: the average travelling speed in Copenhagen is 16 kph for cyclists and 27 kph for cars.

The fact of the matter is they have the infrastructure, knowledge, laws, and schemes in place to make being more active and riding to work the BETTER, easier, cheaper option.

So to answer your question? They are significantly more active on a daily basis. Even if you aren't biking you are walking around more often than the average desk-job American.

I think part of this being possible is the way towns and cities are structured in Europe. For me (in Florida), I have a job that's fairly close to home. It's still 12 miles away. Before transferring closer to home, my job was almost 20 miles away. I don't think the numbers would be quite as high in those countries if people were cycling 40 kilometers a day to work and back. My nearest grocery store is almost a 7 kilometer round trip. It's a short trip for a bike, but it's still 3x the distance quoted as being the daily average above. Our city planners have a lot to answer for.

I actually know two people who do this. =/ Although they are very active cyclists and do races quite often.

As far as biking for groceries.... believe me when i say it sucks even when it's a short distance. It's like a crazy balancing act.

Although, the Christania or Cargo bike is popular here.

christiania-child-and-baby-in-cargo-box.jpg

• rainbowbow
    Options
    MrM27 wrote: »
    Belgium:

Netherlands:

Denmark:

Well in all fairness, I live in NYC and we might as well be living in a box with how little space we get for what we pay so even though we really want bikes, we have no room. It's either a bike or a bed. Sigh.

yeah.... it's the same way here but there are SO MANY parking garages/facilities that are bike only. Bikes are super expensive here but they are also stolen atleast once every 1-2 years so you can't get something super nice that'll attract attention and you have to budget in that you'll be getting a new bike often.

BUT- As i said in my other post... the cities have great infrastructure for bikes. Almost every single road has a bike lane that is protected and has it's own lights. They are always well maintained and free of snow, trash, debris, etc. Even when construction is being done there are always new bike lanes/ramps/etc. put out for cyclists.

In my city there are also some cool counters that are put up on some of the busiest roads.

5591568909_9b864f5de0.jpg
    Translation says essentially "You are cyclist number x today." and "of total x cyclists this year on this road".

In addition to the bike lanes there are also cycle bridges that are overpasses for bikes only. One of the nicest ones i've seen is the one in the Netherlands called "Auke Vleerstraat" as pictured below.

cropped-mg_1927_22-copy32.jpg

I can't speak for the other two countries but i know here in denmark to buy a car or vehicle the sales price will be 3x of what it is in the US because they are taxed at %180. Gas is also 6$ a gallon. It is harder to commute by car because you are required to yeild to all pedestrians and cyclists at all times. And people DO yeild... you see some cars waiting 2-3 cycles of red lights to turn because of cycle and pedestrian traffic.

So atleast here, they made the environment more difficult AND expensive to drive, while being cheaper/faster to bike.
  • rainbowbow
    Options
    Belgium:

Netherlands:

Denmark:

I think part of this being possible is the way towns and cities are structured in Europe. For me (in Florida), I have a job that's fairly close to home. It's still 12 miles away. Before transferring closer to home, my job was almost 20 miles away. I don't think the numbers would be quite as high in those countries if people were cycling 40 kilometers a day to work and back. My nearest grocery store is almost a 7 kilometer round trip. It's a short trip for a bike, but it's still 3x the distance quoted as being the daily average above. Our city planners have a lot to answer for.

ETA: Forgot to mention... you are right in that cities in the US in general have a larger urban sprawl. This is probably because they are not as old. They are constantly being built out and out and out.
  • Lourdesong
    Lourdesong Posts: 1,492 Member
    Options
    I've been analysing cluster diet data published by the WHO, comparing against a world obesity map, and I'm finding unusual results. Belgium and the Netherlands do not have an obesity problem (less than 10% of the population), even though they consume almost 3,000 grams a day; higher than North America's diet of just over 2,000.

BelgiumHighCalLowObesity.jpg

Not only that, they're carb-high! How does one explain this? My working theory is that this is a happy country, with possibly a more active population. Do they walk to work?

This does seem to fly in the face of the CICO model, and the theory that weight loss starts in the kitchen.

Puzzling.

What is meaningful about them being "happy" that might make you question the "cico model"?
    Why is it meaningful to you that Saudi's and Egyptians are unhappy?

It kind of sounds like you think a mental disposition can dismantle physics?

Lots of thin unhappy people and fat happy people, so I'm not understanding your theory here.