Runners--What's Your Pace?

Options

Replies

• Lembail89
    Lembail89 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    What is your regular training pace per mile? 10-11 min/mile
    What's your race pace? 10 min/mile (Last half marathon was more like 11min/mile, rough training)
    What do you consider a "fast" pace? 8 min/mile or less
    What's your goal pace? 8-9 min/mile for an extended stretch of time, at least 6 miles.
  • AlistairBernardNormal
    AlistairBernardNormal Posts: 989 Member
    Options
    Everything here is based on my very brief 'training' (read: running a lot) from the last 6 months, so please take with a grain of salt

What is your regular training pace per mile? Usually around 8:30
    What's your race pace? 8:54 for the Half Marathon, 7:54 for the Corporate Challenge (3.5 miles)
    What do you consider a "fast" pace? 7:00
    What's your goal pace? 8:15 for distance, steady 7:00 for shorter races

I am looking forward to running another half next year, but I'm also training for an intermediate triathlon and running 5ks and 8ks whenever I can.
  • davemunger
    davemunger Posts: 1,139 Member
    Options
    What is your regular training pace per mile?
    What's your race pace?
    What do you consider a "fast" pace?
    What's your goal pace?

Just curious to know the paces out there...

Easy runs: 8:00 - 8:30 per mile
    Race pace: 5:51 / mile (5K PR), 6:36 / mile (1/2 marathon PR)
    Fast pace: 6:30 / mile (tempo runs)
    Goal pace: 5:28 / mile (5K goal: 17:00), 6:15 / mile (1/2 marathon goal: 1:22:00)

Edit: I should add that these are my long-term goals! I adjust my goals for each race depending on where I am in my training and the race conditions. For example I'm running the Peachtree 10K on July 4 in Atlanta. It'll be hot, so I'm shooting for a 6:26 pace, which would not be a PR but would be pretty good for me in those conditions.
  • katesmash
    katesmash Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    Right now I'm not up to running the entire time I'm out (I have NEVER done that, but I just started last summer)... I do a warm walk and then do intervals of running/walking. I use Runtastic so it gives me my averages. My last run was a 14:28 average, and I did 4.41 miles that time.

My goal for right now is to stay under a 15:00 average. I'd love to get to 12:00 pace. I am by no means a competitive runner.
  • crista_b
    crista_b Posts: 1,192 Member
    Options
    Right now I'm not up to running the entire time I'm out (I have NEVER done that, but I just started last summer)... I do a warm walk and then do intervals of running/walking. I use Runtastic so it gives me my averages. My last run was a 14:28 average, and I did 4.41 miles that time.

My goal for right now is to stay under a 15:00 average. I'd love to get to 12:00 pace. I am by no means a competitive runner.
    Thank you! I knew there were other people out there with a similar pace to mine. I guess they're all too scared or embarrassed to post here. :frown:

Of course, your last run was 2 miles more than mine. :ohwell:
  • davemunger
    Options
    Mile - low 5:30s , maybe a little faster. We'll find out in about 10 days.
    5K - ~ 6:15 m/m
    HM - ~ 6:45 m/m
    Marathon - ~ 7:15 m/m

@carsonruns -- interesting. I'm a little faster than you in shorter distances but I could never keep up with you in the marathon. My best time is 3:22, or a 7:42 pace.
  • davemunger
    Options
    Thank you! I knew there were other people out there with a similar pace to mine. I guess they're all too scared or embarrassed to post here. :frown:

I hope no one is embarrassed to post! We were all beginning runners at some point -- if you feel your time is "slow," just think about all the people sitting on their couches doing nothing at all!
  • holliebevineau
    holliebevineau Posts: 441 Member
    Options
    I takes me 45 min to run 5 miles. I just used a heart monitor for the first time today. I can now run easily and even sing along with the music so I figure if I can keep my heart rate higher than what it is when I am running with ease then maybe I can increase my speed. Any tips on how to increase speed? Glo run 5k in chicago sat June 15!!!!!
  • jooonesy
    jooonesy Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    Really depends on how my body is feeling, but...

What is your regular training pace per mile? 8:30-9:00min/mile
    What's your race pace? 9:00-9:30min/mile
    What do you consider a "fast" pace? Anything under 8:30min/mile
    What's your goal pace? 8:00-8:30min/mile
  • froeschli
    froeschli Posts: 1,292 Member
    Options
    training i average around 11-12 min/mile
    i don't race (why pay to go running? oh and i don't get up early on weekends.)
    aiming at doing 10k in under 60 minutes (that'd be 9.6 min/mile)
    anything faster than that, i'd consider fast :happy:
  • AlongCame_Molly
    AlongCame_Molly Posts: 2,835 Member
    Options
    My pace is "Keep Going". My goal is "Don't Stop".
  • crista_b
    crista_b Posts: 1,192 Member
    Options
    I hope no one is embarrassed to post! We were all beginning runners at some point -- if you feel your time is "slow," just think about all the people sitting on their couches doing nothing at all!
    Thanks :smile: I figure that having the motivation and the fact that I enjoy running for the first time in my life is more important than my speed right now and that will come as I become more "seasoned" at it. Plus I'd rather go a little slower and be able to run for a longer time than burn myself out and only be able to run for 45 seconds at a really fast [personal] pace.

ETA: If there are any beginner or "slow" runners reading this and not sure about posting because you're intimidated by all the 8- and 9-minute mile times here, just know that no matter how slow you think you are, you're faster than you would be if you didn't try. I've found runners to be some of the most encouraging people; don't be intimidated by them. :flowerforyou:
  • jblackjr
    jblackjr Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    9:45 - 10:15
    8:00 - 8:15
    Sub 7:00
    7:30 or lower
  • peleroja
    peleroja Posts: 3,979 Member
    Options
    I've been running for about two months. Prior to that I was an unrepentant couch potato.

What is your regular training pace per mile? Between 9min/mile and 10min/mile for 5k, depending on how hard I push my intervals.
    What's your race pace? I haven't run a race yet.
    What do you consider a "fast" pace? Under 9 minutes- I don't know if it's just my gait or what, but I am pretty short and that feels like a sprint. Hopefully it improves once I am a more experienced runner.
    What's your goal pace? For right now, a consistent 9 min would be awesome.
  • dewsmom78
    dewsmom78 Posts: 498 Member
    Options
    I've only been running a couple months and only get out once a week, so I run 12 minute miles. I am doing my first timed 5k in a couple weeks, Would love to do it in 30 min.
  • davemunger
    Options
    Any tips on how to increase speed? Glo run 5k in chicago sat June 15!!!!!

It may be too late for your upcoming 5K, but in general the best way to increase speed is to run intervals (do these maybe once a week) After a warm-up, run hard for 1/2 mile, then take a two-minute break. Gradually build up so you can do 6-8 repetitions of this, going significantly faster than you normally do in your day-to-day runs. You should see a big improvement after a couple months of running intervals! Here are a few more tips on running intervals:

http://www.active.com/running/Articles/Interval-Training-Tips-for-Runners
  • BEERRUNNER
    BEERRUNNER Posts: 3,049 Member
    Options
    About 11 minutes....In my 1/2 marathon I finished right with the 11 minute mile pace dude holding the 11 minute sign!
  • Pangea250
    Pangea250 Posts: 965 Member
    Options
    I want to respond to this especially for other newer and heavier runners, so they have a comparison as well. My numbers are s l o w, but I run, and that's what matters, right?

What is your regular training pace per mile? --> sigh, 14:00 min/mile
    What's your race pace? --> I ran a 5K almost 2 years ago when I was around 220 lbs & ran 16:00 min/miles. I was the last to finish. But I finished.
    What do you consider a "fast" pace? Anything faster than what I run now!
    What's your goal pace? My goal, for now, are 12:00 min/mile for training. I'd love to do 10:00 min/miles for my next 5K. I'll get there. :glasses:

I love seeing all the other fast (relatively!) times that I see posted here. You guys give me inspiration!
  • Pangea250
    Pangea250 Posts: 965 Member
    Options
    Thanks :smile: I figure that having the motivation and the fact that I enjoy running for the first time in my life is more important than my speed right now and that will come as I become more "seasoned" at it. Plus I'd rather go a little slower and be able to run for a longer time than burn myself out and only be able to run for 45 seconds at a really fast [personal] pace.

ETA: If there are any beginner or "slow" runners reading this and not sure about posting because you're intimidated by all the 8- and 9-minute mile times here, just know that no matter how slow you think you are, you're faster than you would be if you didn't try. I've found runners to be some of the most encouraging people; don't be intimidated by them. :flowerforyou:

I *totally* agree with this. I am a slow runner (times posted up above in a separate post) and I have several seasoned runners in my friends list. They are some of the most encouraging people I know whenever I have a running question.
  • sammyneb
    sammyneb Posts: 257
    Options
    What is your regular training pace per mile? 10 to 11 minute mile (depending on weather mainly)
    What's your race pace? 9 minute mile
    What do you consider a "fast" pace? 6 minute mile
    What's your goal pace? my ultimate goal would be able to regularly run a 7 minute mile, but close range goal get the half done in under 2 hours (PR is 2:02!)