Runners--What's Your Pace?

Options

Replies

• LoosingMyLast15
    LoosingMyLast15 Posts: 1,457 Member
    Options
    What is your regular training pace per mile?
    What's your race pace?
    What do you consider a "fast" pace?
    What's your goal pace?

Just curious to know the paces out there...

1) varies but between 11:30-12:15
    2) varies again but between 10:50-11:45
    3) for me: 10:00
    4) 10:00 :)
  • jeffrodgers1
    jeffrodgers1 Posts: 991 Member
    Options
    What is your regular training pace per mile? 10:00 - 11:30 per mile
    What's your race pace? 9:45 per mile
    What do you consider a "fast" pace? 8:00 per mile
    What's your goal pace? This year... 9:15 / mile race pace.

Answers above based on this year... but have also been working on recovering from a serious leg injury last year. Pre-Injury I was running consistently between 9:00 - 9:30 per mile.
  • richardheath
    richardheath Posts: 1,276 Member
    Options
    I'm currently around 8:30 to 9:30 for 6+ miles.

I haven't entered any races yet, but I'm planning to.

Goal pace for a 10k would be around 8 minute miles in the short term. I'd love to get back to sub 7 min miles but I doubt that is going to happen! 20 years ago, I could a half marathon in 1:26 (about 6.5 min miles). Now I'd be happy just to finish!
  • Angimom
    Angimom Posts: 1,463 Member
    Options
    I hope no one is embarrassed to post! We were all beginning runners at some point -- if you feel your time is "slow," just think about all the people sitting on their couches doing nothing at all!
    Thanks :smile: I figure that having the motivation and the fact that I enjoy running for the first time in my life is more important than my speed right now and that will come as I become more "seasoned" at it. Plus I'd rather go a little slower and be able to run for a longer time than burn myself out and only be able to run for 45 seconds at a really fast [personal] pace.

ETA: If there are any beginner or "slow" runners reading this and not sure about posting because you're intimidated by all the 8- and 9-minute mile times here, just know that no matter how slow you think you are, you're faster than you would be if you didn't try. I've found runners to be some of the most encouraging people; don't be intimidated by them. :flowerforyou:

^^THIS^^ brought tears to my eyes. I am the slowest runner. I have been running on and off for 5 years now, and recently for 4 months almost daily and I still suck. I just don't get the breathing thing, yes, I know I have to breathe, but running makes me so out of breath. I want so bad to sign up for a 5k but my huffing and puffing and oh so red face stops me. I have really encouraging friends on here, but when it comes right down to it I am not sure I can go through the sign up and show up for the race. So weird. I am to the point where I can jog really slowly for 2 miles sometimes, and I am talking 14 min miles, that sucks.
    And it really sucks to type it out. I have never done a race, but if I did I would want to be in the 13 min mile range. I am going to keep trying. Maybe someday I will do a 5K. Maybe not. :tongue:
  • katesmash
    katesmash Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    Right now I'm not up to running the entire time I'm out (I have NEVER done that, but I just started last summer)... I do a warm walk and then do intervals of running/walking. I use Runtastic so it gives me my averages. My last run was a 14:28 average, and I did 4.41 miles that time.

My goal for right now is to stay under a 15:00 average. I'd love to get to 12:00 pace. I am by no means a competitive runner.
    Thank you! I knew there were other people out there with a similar pace to mine. I guess they're all too scared or embarrassed to post here. :frown:

Of course, your last run was 2 miles more than mine. :ohwell:

As someone just said, we all have to start somewhere! The path I usually go is about 2.85 miles. The last time I went out, I just went a little farther and was enjoying it so I stayed out and took the long way home. Trust me... 4.5 miles is my LONG run!
  • actlc
    actlc Posts: 84
    Options
    Training Pace: 11:00 - 12:00 (easy run)
    Race pace: N/A (but my faster pace is 9:20 - 10:00)
    "fast" pace: 9:30 or less
    goal pace for 2013: 8:00 fast pace, 10:00 easy run

I thought I would never be a runner as I sucked running cross country in high school (never finished one without walking to catch my breath)
    Started running this year and am surprised I can actually run after learning how to run correctly. I am dedicated to running now and hopefully it would become part of my lifestyle from now on.

What is your regular training pace per mile?
    What's your race pace?
    What do you consider a "fast" pace?
    What's your goal pace?

• Carolyn_79
    Carolyn_79 Posts: 935 Member
    Options
    Tempo Pace is 5:30/km
    Steady Pace is 5:45/km
    LSD Pace is 5:55-6:15/km
    Race Pace is 5:25/km

To me a fast pace is below 5:00/km. My goal is to just keep getting faster!
  • arc918
    arc918 Posts: 2,037 Member
    Options
    I train quite a bit in the 8:30 to 9:30 pace range

Race pace depends on the distance: right now 5K = 6:35, half marathon = 7:25, marathon = 8:00ish

Fast is 7:30 pace or better

Goal pace depends on the distance
  • jorge_007
    jorge_007 Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    What is your regular training pace per mile? 7:24 minute/mile for 3.5 miles
    What's your race pace? Well the fastest I've done a mile is in 4:45 minute/mile
    What do you consider a "fast" pace? Anything below 7 min/mile
    What's your goal pace? My goal pace is a 4 min/mile
  • davemunger
    davemunger Posts: 1,139 Member
    Options
    ^^THIS^^ brought tears to my eyes. I am the slowest runner. I have been running on and off for 5 years now, and recently for 4 months almost daily and I still suck. I just don't get the breathing thing, yes, I know I have to breathe, but running makes me so out of breath. I want so bad to sign up for a 5k but my huffing and puffing and oh so red face stops me. I have really encouraging friends on here, but when it comes right down to it I am not sure I can go through the sign up and show up for the race. So weird. I am to the point where I can jog really slowly for 2 miles sometimes, and I am talking 14 min miles, that sucks.
    And it really sucks to type it out. I have never done a race, but if I did I would want to be in the 13 min mile range. I am going to keep trying. Maybe someday I will do a 5K. Maybe not. :tongue:

Racing may or may not be for you, but trust me, there are *lots* of runners in your situation. It takes time, and you will get faster if you work at it. In the meantime, rest assured that if you complete a 5K at a 13:00 pace, you won't even be close to the last finisher. I am a race timer and I see runners and walkers of all abilities. Many take more than an hour to complete a 5K. At a 13:00 pace, you'd be coming in just over 40 minutes. At the last 5K I timed, over a quarter of the participants still hadn't finished after 40 minutes!

I'm excited to see all the runners cross the line, no matter what their time is. Each one has her or his own goal, and it's fantastic to see them as they achieve it.
  • gert_lush_em
    gert_lush_em Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    EDIT - To clarify that last statement - my understanding is that it is more common to drop from a run to a walk because your legs are tired than because you are out of breath when first starting to train. It was the other way around for me; I was dizzy and gasping for breath and my legs were fine. Now I can almost always make it over 5 miles before I feel like stopping or walking. Thinking about a half in the fall...

I have the exact same thing, my legs feel fine but I have to keep stopping to walk because I feel like I just can't catch my breath & start to feel dizzy! I'm hoping it will keep getting easier but I've been running for almost a year now and still find it hard to get through my 5ks without having to stop to catch my breath!

What is your regular training pace per mile? 11min/mile
    What's your race pace? Not been brave enough to race yet
    What do you consider a "fast" pace? Anything faster than I can run :P
    What's your goal pace? I'd love to get to 9min/mile & not have to worry about not being able to breathe!
  • holliebevineau
    holliebevineau Posts: 441 Member
    Options
    Any tips on how to increase speed? Glo run 5k in chicago sat June 15!!!!!

It may be too late for your upcoming 5K, but in general the best way to increase speed is to run intervals (do these maybe once a week) After a warm-up, run hard for 1/2 mile, then take a two-minute break. Gradually build up so you can do 6-8 repetitions of this, going significantly faster than you normally do in your day-to-day runs. You should see a big improvement after a couple months of running intervals! Here are a few more tips on running intervals:

http://www.active.com/running/Articles/Interval-Training-Tips-for-Runners

Thanks, that was very helpful!! I will start tomorrow!!!!!
  • dltaylorii
    dltaylorii Posts: 132
    Options
    My standard pace right now is around 10:45 (for around 3-4m's).
    Best single mile run so far was 9:26.
    And my goal all along was to do my 5k this December in less than 30 minutes.

Not very fast, but I'm pretty confident in reaching that goal now and building my speed / pace up even more in the future.

I started off in February "running" around a 15+ min/mile pace. And now do a supplemental workout walk everyday during lunch (3.37 miles) faster than that at around 14min/mile.
  • katesmash
    katesmash Posts: 30 Member
    Options

Racing may or may not be for you, but trust me, there are *lots* of runners in your situation. It takes time, and you will get faster if you work at it. In the meantime, rest assured that if you complete a 5K at a 13:00 pace, you won't even be close to the last finisher. I am a race timer and I see runners and walkers of all abilities. Many take more than an hour to complete a 5K. At a 13:00 pace, you'd be coming in just over 40 minutes. At the last 5K I timed, over a quarter of the participants still hadn't finished after 40 minutes!

I'm excited to see all the runners cross the line, no matter what their time is. Each one has her or his own goal, and it's fantastic to see them as they achieve it.

Thank you for this!!!! As I mentioned in my own posts, I'm a new runner, and am thrilled if I come in faster than a 15:00 pace. I have plans to complete three 5k's this year. Two of them are ones where you get covered in colored powder (Run or Dye and Color Me Rad) and one is a race that my company puts a team together for. I'm in it for the fun, but you still feel that "OMG what if I'm the last to finish"
  • donrdon
    donrdon Posts: 216 Member
    Options
    Regular training pace: comfortably @ 9:20 (anything from 6-10miles)
    Race pace: 1/2 marathon 9:03
    Fast pace: anything under 8:00
    Goal pace: 9:50 for my first full marathon this weekend
  • 6spdeg
    6spdeg Posts: 394 Member
    Options
    im not a runner but i did first 5k in 24.36...

i did intervals and was jog at 7mph and then runs were at 9.5mph.

i was sick for 5 weeks then ran a 10k at 57.10 could barely breathe through my nose.
  • Angimom
    Angimom Posts: 1,463 Member
    Options

Thank you so much for those encouraging words! I have no plans on giving up yet. And I will keep thinking about doing a 5K.
  • PeteWhoLikesToRunAlot
    PeteWhoLikesToRunAlot Posts: 596 Member
    Options
    What is your regular training pace per mile? 7:30-7:45
    What's your race pace? 7:15 for less than 5 miles, ~8:00 for 13+ miles
    What do you consider a "fast" pace? Anyone faster than me :)
    What's your goal pace? Sub-7:00 for under 10K, 7:15 for 13+ miles

I started running back in Feb 2010, first 5k was 29:00 even. I've done a lot of running since then, building up to ~40+ per week, with the occasional 50+ week. My last 5 mile race was 35:50. I never did any specific speed work, and for almost all of that time, I was doing almost identical runs of 6-7 miles, 6-7x weekly as a way to burn calories for weight loss. So my speed improvements were not really intentional, but just sort of happened with the mileage. Now that I'm training for a full 26.2, I'm carving out specific long, middle, and short/recovery distance runs 5-6 times a week and ensuring I work some core strength training in on my "rest" (non running) days
  • laurasuzanne2006
    laurasuzanne2006 Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    no clue.
    we moved to flagstaff 2 months ago and my pace has been ruined. Currently running between 12-13 minute miles. Was doing 11:20 at home. My last 1/2 marathon had a pace of 11:04. I'm doing all my marathon training here and it is hard to compare myself to what i ran back home. Going home in 2 weeks so we shall see if i'm any faster....Long term goal would be under 10 min miles
  • kelli543
    kelli543 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    If you are really struggling with your breathing you are probably running a bit too fast! Slow it down (don't worry about the pace) and concentrate on getting your stride comfortable, relaxing your upper body and feeling how your body works when its running. To get faster you can do fartlek (or intervals) so just try and run a bit faster for a short distance (pick the next lamp post, or a nearby tree or the end of the road) then settle back down and recover. Then repeat. You'll get faster if you do this!

What is your regular training pace per mile? around 10-12 mins/mile depending on the length of the run.

What's your race pace? My first ever 5k two weeks ago was 28:57 and I smashed that this week in my second 27:20 so about 8:30ish per mile? Did 10k in 61:20 but had to queue to get over a style for 1:15 so about 10 min/mile
    What do you consider a "fast" pace? That 8:30 killed me, but the fasted person in my running club completed in 19 minutes - *that* ws fast.

What's your goal pace? Next goal to get under 27 mins for 5k but ultimately would love to break 25 so under 8 min/mile. Want to get under 60 for 10k.