What is Natural Food Anyway?

Options
123457»

Replies

• likitisplit
    likitisplit Posts: 9,420 Member
    Options
    FWIW, I think of "natural" foods as something that I could have found and eaten 200 years ago somewhere on planet earth. Beet and cane sugar? Sure, as long as it doesn't go through a chemical bleaching process. HFCS, nope. Cheese, sure. Processed cheese substitute, no. Turkey, yes. Deli meat turkey, no.

Awesome! Donuts were around 200 years ago. So were fruit popovers, so Pop tarts may or may not be natural.

Unfortunately, peanut butter would not be natural.

If your assignment is to recreate Colonial American packed lunch, you have several delicious period-correct choices: Hard boiled eggs, ham (roast beef, turkey, chicken) sandwiches on crusty white or brown bread (mayo & mustard both okay), cornbread, biscuits, muffins or hard crackers with fruit jam/jelly, pickles (sweet gerkins, bread & butter, NOT Kosher dill), fresh vegetables in season, dried fruit (raisins, apples, figs), fresh fruit (in season, oranges okay) or fruit leather, pie slice (apple, peach, cherry, pumpkin), cake (pound, spice, short), gingerbread (cookies or cake okay), cider (apple juice okay substitute), lemonade, or milk. NO peanut butter ("invented" in the 1890s), chocolate pudding, jell-o.
    http://www.foodtimeline.org/foodschools.html#lunchsurvey
  • highervibes
    highervibes Posts: 2,219 Member
    Options
    Never argue with idiots, they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    Stopped caring somewhere around the point of someone trying to prove HCFS is a natural food.

Yeah, I'm not sure why the difference between natural processing and processing by man is such a hard concept to grasp. That seems an unnatural thought process to me.
  • realmilk4me
    realmilk4me Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    I have honeybees and have seen how HFCS is made in the labs.

If we want to get technical bees use chemicals that they themselves product in their bodies to make honey.

Humans take corn, (which has been genetically altered and sprayed with numerous pesticides which are also lab made and unsafe to breath) add some chemicals and make HFCS.

Being ALMOST chemically identical does not make them equal. The same reason why vitamins in vegetables are more biological active than synthetic vitamins.