help...Im eating too much junk food.

Ive been eating candy bars and frozen yogurt(chocolate) for the past two weeks.its putting me well over my calorie goal of 1200.any suggestions on how to stop binging like that?I've been on a weight loss journey for four and a half months,and I lost twenty lbs.I don't want to gain any back,but I've been craving chocolate a lot.any suggestions????

Replies

• forgtmenot
    forgtmenot Posts: 860 Member
    Need more information. What is your height, weight, what is your daily activity like, and what rate loss do you have it set at (how many lbs per week)?
  • mwebster01
    mwebster01 Posts: 111 Member
    forgtmenot wrote: »
    Need more information. What is your height, weight, what is your daily activity like, and what rate loss do you have it set at (how many lbs per week)?
    I'm 45, female,I'll open my diary so you can see my diet and activity.tia

• forgtmenot
    edited May 2015
    mwebster11 wrote: »
    I'm 45, female,I'll open my diary so you can see my diet and activity.tia

Your diary doesn't give me that information: Height, weight, daily activity (how much activity do you regularly get: are you sedentary, do you work on your feet, etc), and what do you have your rate of loss set at (.5, 1,1.5, or 2lbs per week)?

According to your profile you have only 15 lbs left to lose, if that is true you likely need to slow down your rate of loss which likely will mean your calorie intake needs to be raised. I cant tell that for certain though without knowing your stats.
  • livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,751 Member
    Yes, yes you are - your diary is terrible!

Why are you turning to the chocolate/icecream etc?

I think you need to plan and prepare some meals, with decent protein, good Fats and a variety of fresh vegies and some fruit. Really ask yourself after eating your planned meal if you need the chocolate or icecream. If you're bored, get out and do something.
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,942 Member
    edited May 2015
    mwebster11 wrote: »
    Ive been eating candy bars and frozen yogurt(chocolate) for the past two weeks.its putting me well over my calorie goal of 1200.any suggestions on how to stop binging like that?I've been on a weight loss journey for four and a half months,and I lost twenty lbs.I don't want to gain any back,but I've been craving chocolate a lot.any suggestions????

You have 15 pounds left to lose. Raise your calorie goals to lose a half pound a week, which will give you more than 1200 calories.

Now that you have more calories to work with, allow yourself a small treat when you want it. Work it into your calorie goals and practice moderation.

A binge is a sign you're not eating enough, and that you're depriving yourself. Neither of these is good.

• forgtmenot
    edited May 2015

I think you need to plan and prepare some meals, with decent protein, good Fats and a variety of fresh vegies and some fruit. Really ask yourself after eating your planned meal if you need the chocolate or icecream. If you're bored, get out and do something.
    There's nothing wrong with eating ice cream as long as it fits into her goals. I eat ice cream a few times a week, but I make it fit into my goals. The issue here isn't what she is eating it's why she is eating over her goal. My guess is her rate of loss is set at something like 2 lbs/week which is setting her calorie goal to 1200 which is probably too low.
  • livingleanlivingclean

There's nothing wrong with eating ice cream as long as it fits into her goals. I eat ice cream a few times a week, but I make it fit into my goals. The issue here isn't what she is eating it's why she is eating over her goal. My guess is her rate of loss is set at something like 2 lbs/week which is setting her calorie goal to 1200 which is probably too low.

There is nothing wrong with icecream or chocolate, except when it's taking up most of your calories and you have very little food with decent nutrient value...
  • forgtmenot

There is nothing wrong with icecream or chocolate, except when it's taking up most of your calories and you have very little food with decent nutrient value...

None of that has anything to do with weight loss. "Decent nutrient value" doesn't effect weight loss.
  • Bshmerlie
    Bshmerlie Posts: 1,026 Member
    If your diary is accurate you are starving your body nutitionslly. You should see a nutritionist to help you to establish a balanced meal plan. You'll let the ice cream and candy bars go when you're ready. But until then you're gonna be a yoyo. Sometimes there are things we just don't keep in the house for that reason.
  • SLLRunner
    Bshmerlie wrote: »
    If your diary is accurate you are starving your body nutitionslly. You should see a nutritionist to help you to establish a balanced meal plan. You'll let the ice cream and candy bars go when you're ready. But until then you're gonna be a yoyo. Sometimes there are things we just don't keep in the house for that reason.

This has nothing to do with weight loss.
  • livingleanlivingclean

None of that has anything to do with weight loss. "Decent nutrient value" doesn't effect weight loss.

I believe the OP was asking for suggestions to stop binging on the chocolate and icecream. Which I did.
  • forgtmenot
    edited May 2015

I believe the OP was asking for suggestions to stop binging on the chocolate and icecream. Which I did.

The op needs a plan she can stick to for life and telling someone they can't eat foods they love and still lose weight is simply false and could cause them to give up entirely.
  • livingleanlivingclean

The op needs a plan she can stick to for life and telling someone they can't eat foods they love and still lose weight is simply false and could cause them to give up entirely.

Where did I say she should give them up completely and never eat them again?
  • SLLRunner

Agreed. Moderation is the key, as well as upping her calorie goal to lose more slowly.
  • forgtmenot
    edited May 2015

Where did you say in your first post that she could continue to eat them? You implied in your post that she shouldn't eat those things. The issue isn't what she's eating, it's how much. The best way to fix why she is eating too much (if she really is eating too much) is to figure out why. Saying "don't eat those things!" And reinforcing her belief that those foods are bad and forbidden Is not really helpful.
  • Saryia
    Saryia Posts: 38 Member
    Chocolate craving can be a sign of an iron or magnesium deficiency (if you're not just craving the sugar). It might be worthwhile to look into a multivitamin/supplements, if you haven't already.
  • SLLRunner
    Pu_239 wrote: »
    reduce your processed foods/carbs
    No.
  • livingleanlivingclean

Where did you say in your first post that she could continue to eat them? You implied in your post that she shouldn't eat those things. The issue isn't what she's eating, it's how much. The best way to fix why she is eating too much (if she really is eating too much) is to figure out why. Saying "don't eat those things!" And reinforcing her belief that those foods are bad and forbidden Is not really helpful.

What was my first question to her?

I never said she shouldn't eat them. I suggested (like she asked) planning and prepping nutritious balanced meals, and asking herself after eating those if she really needed the chocolate and icecream. Sometimes the answer will still be yes, other times no.
  • galgenstrick
    galgenstrick Posts: 2,086 Member
    hgurke wrote: »
    Chocolate craving can be a sign of an iron or magnesium deficiency (if you're not just craving the sugar). It might be worthwhile to look into a multivitamin/supplements, if you haven't already.

Cravings have no connection to deficiencies in your body.
  • forgtmenot

Unnecessary