help...Im eating too much junk food.

Replies

• Saryia
    Saryia Posts: 38 Member
    Cravings have no connection to deficiencies in your body.
    You do know that scientists have done studies regarding vitamin deficiencies and cravings and have found that babies preferred the baby food that was high in a vitamin or mineral that they had a mild nutritional deficiency in, correct? Not to mention that anecdotally, there are probably several people here that can attest to craving certain foods and that craving was related to a vitamin or mineral deficiency. I myself discovered that I had an ongoing magnesium deficiency via a physician visit, and shortly before my visit had been craving avocados for the past month (a food I never ate on a regular basis, or even very much cared for).

You should not give bad or misinformed advice if you do not know what you are talking about.

• Bshmerlie
    Bshmerlie Posts: 1,026 Member
    Obviously no one here has actually looked at the OP'S diary. There is more ice cream, candy bars, whip cream and popcorn than actual food. And you can seriously say this has nothing to do with weight loss. Yeah sure you could probably lose weight if you only consumed 1200 calories of ice cream and candy bars but you would also have diabetes and be dead by the time your 40 years old. The OP asked for help to curb the overcompeling desire to eat junk food. My suggestion is get it out of the house until they're ready.
  • livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,751 Member
    forgtmenot wrote: »
    Yes, yes you are - your diary is terrible!

Why are you turning to the chocolate/icecream etc?

I think you need to plan and prepare some meals, with decent protein, good Fats and a variety of fresh vegies and some fruit. Really ask yourself after eating your planned meal if you need the chocolate or icecream. If you're bored, get out and do something.

Unnecessary

She said it herself.

My question to you was "what was my first QUESTION to her?". Oh.... Perhaps it was "why are you turning to the chocolate and icecream?"... Or did use miss that part?
  • forgtmenot
    forgtmenot Posts: 860 Member
    edited May 2015
    hgurke wrote: »
    You do know that scientists have done studies regarding vitamin deficiencies and cravings and have found that babies preferred the baby food that was high in a vitamin or mineral that they had a mild nutritional deficiency in, correct? Not to mention that anecdotally, there are probably several people here that can attest to craving certain foods and that craving was related to a vitamin or mineral deficiency. I myself discovered that I had an ongoing magnesium deficiency via a physician visit, and shortly before my visit had been craving avocados for the past month (a food I never ate on a regular basis, or even very much cared for).

You should not give bad or misinformed advice if you do not know what you are talking about.
    I have had anemia pretty much my whole life. I rarely crave red meat or anything else that is high in iron. I have to take an iron supplement because I am routinely low in iron. I even track it in mfp to see if I'm getting it naturally and I never hit 100% unless I take a vitamin.

My Internal vitamin deficiency sensor must be permanently broken.
  • Saryia
    I have had anemia pretty much my whole life. I rarely crave red meat or anything else that is high in iron. My vitamin deficiency sensor must be permanently broken.
    Some people are more out of touch with their body and its needs than others, hence why this forum exists. That is not a criticism, just fact.

• SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,942 Member
    Bshmerlie wrote: »
    Obviously no one here has actually looked at the OP'S diary. There is more ice cream, candy bars, whip cream and popcorn than actual food. And you can seriously say this has nothing to do with weight loss. Yeah sure you could probably lose weight if you only consumed 1200 calories of ice cream and candy bars but you would also have diabetes and be dead by the time your 40 years old. The OP asked for help to curb the overcompeling desire to eat junk food. My suggestion is get it out of the house until they're ready.
    Sugar doesn't cause diabetes.

Food type has nothing to do with weight loss, though nutritional balance usually makes us feel better.
  • forgtmenot
    I have had anemia pretty much my whole life. I rarely crave red meat or anything else that is high in iron. My vitamin deficiency sensor must be permanently broken.
    Some people are more out of touch with their body and its needs than others, hence why this forum exists. That is not a criticism, just fact.

Lol ok...
  • galgenstrick
    galgenstrick Posts: 2,086 Member

So you're saying I should be craving fruits vegetables and multivitamins to make up for any deficiencies in my body? Why the hell do I crave Cinnabon then?

I'm afraid you're misinformed on the research.
  • Saryia
    So you're saying I should be craving fruits vegetables and multivitamins to make up for any deficiencies in my body? Why the hell do I crave Cinnabon then?

I'm not misinformed, you're misinterpreting what I'm saying. You're craving Cinnabon because you're addicted to sugar. Your statement is like asking why crack addicts crave crack cocaine.
  • maidentl
    maidentl Posts: 3,203 Member
    mwebster11 wrote: »
    Ive been eating candy bars and frozen yogurt(chocolate) for the past two weeks.its putting me well over my calorie goal of 1200.any suggestions on how to stop binging like that?I've been on a weight loss journey for four and a half months,and I lost twenty lbs.I don't want to gain any back,but I've been craving chocolate a lot.any suggestions????

Based on your diary and your goal of 1200, I would say you must be incredibly hungry. I would follow the suggestions to lower your goal to .5 pounds per week and then try to incorporate more filling foods that will give you more bang for your buck, so to speak. You can still have a little candy or a popsicle as a snack, that's fine. But you can also try other sweet things that might fill you up more. A couple of bananas would fill you up more in the morning for about the same calories as the Snickers. Greek yogurt with fruit is good, too.
  • SLLRunner

I'm not misinformed, you're misinterpreting what I'm saying. You're craving Cinnabon because you're addicted to sugar. Your statement is like asking why crack addicts crave crack cocaine.
    This is bull.
  • forgtmenot
    Yes, yes you are - your diary is terrible!

Why are you turning to the chocolate/icecream etc?

I think you need to plan and prepare some meals, with decent protein, good Fats and a variety of fresh vegies and some fruit. Really ask yourself after eating your planned meal if you need the chocolate or icecream. If you're bored, get out and do something.

Unnecessary

She said it herself.

My question to you was "what was my first QUESTION to her?". Oh.... Perhaps it was "why are you turning to the chocolate and icecream?"... Or did use miss that part?
    Did you miss the part where I didn't care what your first question to her was? Or do you honestly think it is relevant to the conversation?
  • Bshmerlie
    Bshmerlie Posts: 1,026 Member
    SLLRunner wrote: »
    Bshmerlie wrote: »
    Sugar doesn't cause diabetes.

Food type has nothing to do with weight loss, though nutritional balance usually makes us feel better.

Again, has anyone bothered to look at her diary? Eating 1200 calories of crap is still crap and is not a good solution to long term weight loss.
  • galgenstrick
    galgenstrick Posts: 2,086 Member

I'm not addicted to sugar.... And you're using a poor analogy. Sorry but the brain is going to crave things that have nothing to do with nutritional deficiencies. And to extrapolate a certain mineral deficiency out of 100s of cravings people get in a day cannot be studied with any controlled experiment.
  • Saryia
    This is bull.
    Sugar is known to be more addictive than heroin, not sure what part of my statement you think is "bull".
  • Saryia
    MrM27 wrote: »
    What? Craving a Cinnamon means you're addicted to sugar? So if I crave a Porterhouse steak am I addicted to protein and fat? Comparing it to a Crack addict??? Sorry that that's a stretch. There is a world of difference.
    You're genetically programmed to crave protein, fat, and sugar. But sugar is the only one that has addictive properties.
  • Qskim
    Qskim Posts: 1,145 Member
    Oh dear...goodbye thread.
  • Saryia
    I'm not addicted to sugar.... And you're using a poor analogy. Sorry but the brain is going to crave things that have nothing to do with nutritional deficiencies. And to extrapolate a certain mineral deficiency out of 100s of cravings people get in a day cannot be studied with any controlled experiment.
    You're on the internet, even if you do not have access to an academic search engine you can look up these studies yourself. :)

• forgtmenot
    edited May 2015

Because sugar and crack are the same...
    This is bull.
    Sugar is known to be more addictive than heroin, not sure what part of my statement you think is "bull".

Known by who? And post real sources, not hippie naturopathic woo
  • SLLRunner
    This is bull.
    All of what you're saying is bull. Comparing sugar to heroin as an addiction is like trying to mix oil and water.