Is it really just only about sticking to a calorie deficit?

Options
EthanJeremiahsMama
EthanJeremiahsMama Posts: 534 Member
edited May 2015 in Health and Weight Loss
Hi everyone! Was curious if it is mainly about having a calorie deficit. For me, I guess you could say "clean eating" and watching my sodium intake at a calorie deficit has helped me lose weight.. even without exercising frequently. However I have a few friends who have lost weight at a calorie deficit but... eating whatever they want basically (not healthy, but not going over their calories --has worked for them!)

I was wondering what was worked for you? Eating healthier and at a calorie deficit + exercising? Or do you just keep track of your calories and it still helps with weight loss? I know everyone is different but was just curious as to what has worked for others.

Replies

• Blueseraphchaos
    Blueseraphchaos Posts: 843 Member
    Options
    I only track calories. 50 lbs down. I eat a lot of random stuff, lol.
  • shadow2soul
    shadow2soul Posts: 7,692 Member
    Options
    Moderation + calorie deficit. It hasn't mattered whether I exercise or not. As long as I adjust my intake to go with my activity level, I lose weight.
  • maidentl
    maidentl Posts: 3,203 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone! Was curious if it is mainly about having a calorie deficit. For me, I guess you could say "clean eating" and watching my sodium intake at a calorie deficit has helped me lose weight.. even without exercising frequently. However I have a few friends who have lost weight at a calorie deficit but... eating whatever they want basically (not healthy, but not going over their calories --has worked for them!)

I was wondering what was worked for you? Eating healthier and at a calorie deficit + exercising? Or do you just keep track of your calories and it still helps with weight loss? I know everyone is different but was just curious as to what has worked for others.

Everyone is not different. We all have to have a calorie deficit to lose weight. Period. Everyone is different in how they achieve that, but a deficit has to be there regardless of what you eat.
  • ForeverSunshine09
    ForeverSunshine09 Posts: 966 Member
    Options
    Moderation in all things. If I had to give uP any of the delicious foods I eat I would never have lost 32.6 lbs in 3 months. I can handle only having mac and cheese once a month or homemade pizza instead of take out( to be fair our homemade is freaking delicious) but, to say I will never eat it again just never gonna happen.
  • Nony_Mouse
    Nony_Mouse Posts: 5,646 Member
    Options
    For weight loss, yes, a calorie deficit is what matters. However for overall health you want to ensure you're meeting your nutritional needs. So, making up the bulk of your calorie intake with nutrient dense foods, then once you've met your macros (carbs, fats, protein) and micros (vitamins and minerals) making up the rest with some treat foods if you want to :). Doing this helps many people to not feel deprived while they are losing weight, because they can still have the things they enjoy, and therefore more likely to stick with it.
  • macgurlnet
    macgurlnet Posts: 1,946 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options

I can kinda see where you're coming from.

If "clean eating" means cooking at home vs. eating out, then it can be easier to eat "clean." Simply because you often can get a better nutrition/calorie ratio cooking at home vs. getting something similar when you go out to eat. All depends on your calorie goals and how your mind works, though.

Someone on a 1500 calorie diet that is comfortable eating 1 large meal and maybe 1 small one could easily have fast food for a meal (or just one very high calorie meal) and nothing else and call it a day. Someone like me that is more comfortable with smaller meals and snacks throughout the day may be better off with home-cooked food and low-calorie snacks.

I've cut out a good portion of pre-packaged food because the sodium tends to make me bloat and I can cook something just as yummy and freeze it for later. It's not about it being "unclean" but it doesn't suit my needs anymore.

A calorie deficit is all that's needed for weight loss. How you achieve that deficit is entirely up to you.

~Lyssa
  • atypicalsmith
    atypicalsmith Posts: 2,742 Member
    Options
    I'm in the minority, but if I don't exercise, I don't lose weight even at a calorie deficit. Until I quit smoking 11 years ago, I could eat whatever I wanted, never exercised, and didn't gain a pound.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    For most folks it does seem to be as simple as that, for making the number on the scale go down, yes.
  • Jasmunr
    Jasmunr Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    If your only goal is fat loss then a calorie is a calorie period. You will have more sucess eating somewhat healthier as the food has more quantity for the calorie amount
    if your goal is becoming healthy then eating healthy will aid you in that. Usually skin becomes clearer, hair grows thicker etc. I also find I feel more energized when I eat clean.

So does it really matter for fat loss? no. But there are benefits to eating clean.
  • forgtmenot
    forgtmenot Posts: 860 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    Personally I try to eat about 75% "clean" and that is for two reasons: 1.) I know that if I eat less calorie dense food I get more volume of food to eat. 2.) to make sure I'm getting all my nutrients/vitamins. As others have stated, it is all about calories in vs calories out. If you have a calorie deficit you will lose weight. We might get there using different foods, but if you are losing weight it's because you're at a caloric deficit not because of sodium or "clean eating". I still eat ice cream, cookies, cake, chips, etc. I just don't eat them all in the same day. It works for me because I rarely ever feel deprived. If I do feel deprived it's because I'm on a rest day and don't have as many calories to eat since I'm not getting those extra exercise calories. I exercise 5 days a week. I do it to eat more food and attempt to preserve as much muscle mass as I can while losing weight.
  • zoeysasha37
    zoeysasha37 Posts: 7,088 Member
    Options
    Cico for weight loss. Tracking macros for overall better health.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Options
    thorsmom01 wrote: »
    Cico for weight loss. Tracking macros for overall better health.
    I'd say micros for overall health as much as macros.
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,573 Member
    Options
    I hit my macros in my first 1200 calories, just assume my micros are fine, and eat what I want with the remaining calories. Lost 30 pounds.
  • chriscolh
    chriscolh Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    I want more than just weight loss. I lift to get stronger. I run because it makes me feel like one of the cool kids. (not even kidding when I say that. Well, that, and I love that I can run and not be totally breathless anymore. I just feel good when I finish. Anyway...) I am trying to eat more fruits and vegetables because heart disease runs in my family and I want to avoid my parents' congestive heart failure, high cholesterol, high bp, heart attacks, and cancers. And I eat at a deficit to lose weight. For me, it's all a road to better health, but made up of different components.
    Good luck in your journey!
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    edited May 2015
    Options
    arditarose wrote: »
    I hit my macros in my first 1200 calories, just assume my micros are fine, and eat what I want with the remaining calories. Lost 30 pounds.

Actually it's quite easy to hit a 40/30/30 without getting anywhere near eating a balanced, nutrient rich diet. I'm not speaking of YOUR diet, just in general. In fact, I wandered into one of our LOUDER IFFYM regular's diary a while back and was astonished to see virtually NO plant food save the occasional potato.

Also, I've not said that NOT eating a balanced, nutrient rich diet will hinder weight loss.
  • maidentl
    maidentl Posts: 3,203 Member
    Options
    I'm in the minority, but if I don't exercise, I don't lose weight even at a calorie deficit. Until I quit smoking 11 years ago, I could eat whatever I wanted, never exercised, and didn't gain a pound.

Then you're not eating at a deficit. No one is immune to science.
  • arditarose
    Options

Actually it's quite easy to hit a 40/30/30 without getting anywhere near eating a balanced, nutrient rich diet.

Also, I've not said that NOT eating a balanced, nutrient rich diet will hinder weight loss.

Did you mean to quote me? I check my micros here and there and eat the same things very often, and all is well.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Options

Actually it's quite easy to hit a 40/30/30 without getting anywhere near eating a balanced, nutrient rich diet.

Did you mean to quote me? I check my micros here and there and eat the same things very often, and all is well.

I meant to quote you simply because yours was the reply just below my reply emphasizing micros.
    I didn't imply, nor suggest, that I was referring to your diet, however. I edited my above post to clarify that. Just reminding folks that a 40/30/30 (or any other IFFYM favorite) implies that one is eating a nutrient dense diet.

Eating a fairly redundant diet (that you know to be balanced) is a good approach, agreed.

See edit above. Sorry if there was any confusion.
  • efclove1
    efclove1 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I actually eat whatever I want..... still enjoy my sweets... mcdonalds here and there.. horrible I KNOW.. but I log in my calories and keep track and was able to lose 5 lbs in 2 weeks.. still going lol.
  • arditarose
    Options

I meant to quote you simply because yours was the reply just below my reply emphasizing micros.
    I didn't imply, nor suggest, that I was referring to your diet, however. I edited my above post to clarify that. Just reminding folks that a 40/30/30 (or any other IFFYM favorite) implies that one is eating a nutrient dense diet.

Eating a fairly redundant diet (that you know to be balanced) is a good approach, agreed.

See edit above. Sorry if there was any confusion.

Okay. I was just replying with what I do because that's what was asked. It's not perfect. I understand what you're saying though. I really only check my micros if I don't feel well.