Is it really just only about sticking to a calorie deficit?

Options

Replies

• amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    Options
    Over 90 lb gone so far and only watch calories. Due to chronic pain I only exercise sporadically when the pain is not severe enough to stop me.
  • TimothyFish
    TimothyFish Posts: 4,925 Member
    Options
    Weight loss requires a deficit, but how you achieve that deficit and what it takes to stay committed for the long haul is a much deeper topic.
  • SophiaSerrao
    SophiaSerrao Posts: 234 Member
    Options
    Nony_Mouse wrote: »
    arditarose wrote: »
    Oh, it's under "reports". They are all separate.

But they're weekly reports, right? No chance to see it on one particular day? (Or did I misunderstand and these weekly reports are what you all meant?)

It still shows you the amount for each day separately during the week.

Ohhhh I (finally) see what you mean.

Well, yes, but for instance, I see that my vitamin C and vitamin A intake is solid, my calcium is so-so ... and my iron intake sucks. Except on some days, apparently. But what a drag it would be to go and check each of those higher days... and furthermore guess what food provided more iron (I know it was liver on one particular day, lol, the amount sky rocketed).

I thought maybe there was a way to see those stats more clearly, as with the macros, where you get a better understanding and learn easier. But I guess there is not.

Ok, I'll go away now, ha.

You can change what shows along the bottom of your daily diary if there are things you particularly want to keep an eye on. For example, I know sugar and sodium aren't an issue for me, so I switched those to fiber and iron. It only seems to want to let you track five things at a time unfortunately (or I'm a numpty and can't see how to add more!).

Huh... this is brilliant!

I tracked sodium at first (think it was set by default?), but quickly realized my sodium intake is naturally low and takes care of itself. So I switched it to sugar and fiber, which by now I know how to manage just fine.

I didn't even remember that the rest of the micros were available for tracking! I guess at the time I was just concerned with learning about the more popular macros... which, in these past months, I have.

So this is a good point to start learning how my food affects the micros! Iron and calcium, it seems, are my low points.

Thanks again for spreading the knowledge "). It's appreciated. This Monday involves day one of plank challenge aaand micro awareness. Very exciting! Haha

P.S. I have a feeling the data entries will blow regarding micro information, but oh well. :mrgreen:
  • forgtmenot
    forgtmenot Posts: 860 Member
    Options
    PopeyeCT wrote: »
    Calories for weight.
    Exercise for fitness.

Exercise certainly helps the calorie balance, but one piece of cheesecake would wipe out an on the bike.

Depends on the cheesecake. I ate some last weekend and it totaled 360 calories. It wasn't a very large piece though.
  • Sarasmaintaining
    Sarasmaintaining Posts: 1,027 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    Hi everyone! Was curious if it is mainly about having a calorie deficit. For me, I guess you could say "clean eating" and watching my sodium intake at a calorie deficit has helped me lose weight.. even without exercising frequently. However I have a few friends who have lost weight at a calorie deficit but... eating whatever they want basically (not healthy, but not going over their calories --has worked for them!)

I was wondering what was worked for you? Eating healthier and at a calorie deficit + exercising? Or do you just keep track of your calories and it still helps with weight loss? I know everyone is different but was just curious as to what has worked for others.

I lost almost 60lbs without doing anything but restricting calories-no exercise and no cutting out foods that I enjoyed eating. I've been maintaining the loss for over 2 years now, and I continue to eat all the foods I like, which includes fast food several times a week. I eat a wide variety of foods and don't label any food 'good' or 'bad'. I'm successfully keeping the weight off and my blood panels/blood pressure are excellent.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    I habitually eat a balanced plate with all the macros and my daily serving of fruits and vegetables. I limit my free sugars out of habit, and I don't salt my food. Even so, I gain weight if I eat too much of it. If the goal is weight loss, calories must be lower, whether the dieter is tracking them or not.

People who restrict their food choices rather than track calories I swear lose weight from the added exercise from wandering the grocery aisles looking for something to eat. As the food industry responds to consumer demands making these foods more readily available, the restriction stops working.

Has anyone seen the new Breton bean rice puff? Certified gluten free.
  • yesimpson
    yesimpson Posts: 1,372 Member
    Options
    I need to make sure I exercise. Exercising regularly brings my calorie needs more in line with my appetite. I do log my food and watch calories, but generally I self-moderate pretty well and don't find it a struggle. If I didn't exercise, I would probably gain 10-15lbs over the course of a year. My diet isn't too bad, I enjoy a lot of healthy food, just too much for a person my size!
  • Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    Options
    yesimpson wrote: »
    I need to make sure I exercise. Exercising regularly brings my calorie needs more in line with my appetite.

Similar here. No exercise, no (sustainable) deficit.

For me, regular and vigorous exercise is the single most important thing I need to do. Everything else builds on that.

• Mr_Knight
    Options
    jgnatca wrote: »
    People who restrict their food choices rather than track calories...

Restricting calories IS restricting food choices.

• SingRunTing
    SingRunTing Posts: 2,604 Member
    Options
    Deficit for weight loss.
    Nutrition for health and body comp.
    Exercise for fitness (and a few extra calories).

Rinse and repeat. What you do depends on your goals. If you sole goal is a number on the scale, then worry only about your deficit.
  • forgtmenot
    forgtmenot Posts: 860 Member
    Options
    Mr_Knight wrote: »

Not necessarily. You could eat the same foods and just eat less of them and still lose weight.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,575 Member
    Options
    I keep a calorie deficit so I can lose weight.

I eat mostly "healthy foods" and exercise because I believe this ups my chances for long term health and mobility, and also because I find it easier to keep a deficit this way.
  • Mr_Knight
    Options
    forgtmenot wrote: »

Not necessarily. You could eat the same foods and just eat less of them and still lose weight.

All calories come from food. If you are restricting calories you are by definition restricting food.
  • jaga13
    jaga13 Posts: 1,149 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone! Was curious if it is mainly about having a calorie deficit. For me, I guess you could say "clean eating" and watching my sodium intake at a calorie deficit has helped me lose weight.. even without exercising frequently. However I have a few friends who have lost weight at a calorie deficit but... eating whatever they want basically (not healthy, but not going over their calories --has worked for them!)

I was wondering what was worked for you? Eating healthier and at a calorie deficit + exercising? Or do you just keep track of your calories and it still helps with weight loss? I know everyone is different but was just curious as to what has worked for others.

Exercise alone did nothing for me for years (regarding weight loss). Exercise + eating healthier made me lose a little weight. All of the above plus counting calories finally made the weight really come off, and has been the key for me.

I have to do at least a little daily exercise in order to earn enough calories--otherwise I'll be hungry and sad.
    I guess I don't have to chose healthy food, but since my daily calorie goal is on the low end, I really have to fill up on healthy food to feel satisfied. But I indulge, too.
  • mizzlarabee
    mizzlarabee Posts: 134 Member
    Options

All calories come from food. If you are restricting calories you are by definition restricting food.

I think you're getting a bit caught up in semantics here. Yes, a calorie deficit is an overall restriction, but that doesn't mean that there isn't plentiful choice within that framework. Like maybe I want to eat a whole pizza, but I am restricted to only eating two slices -- however, that is still my choice entirely.
  • wy1dsty1es
    wy1dsty1es Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    The most important phrase you said was "everyone is different" that is what matters the most what works for the individual person and their situation. Stress, metabolism, support, genetics, without regime, cardio, strength training etc. Variables matter when cutting calories to lose weight.

But as a foundation calories in/Calories out is pretty solid no matter where the calories come from.

Also technically there are no healthy (good) and unhealthy (bad) foods (unless we get into gmo's but that is a totally different topic). Kind of like good and bad hair. There are foods with more calories from fat and foods with more calories from protein, etc etc. There is good and bad moderation of macros.

But know what your body can handle and listen to it.
  • Mr_Knight
    Options

I think you're getting a bit caught up in semantics here. Yes, a calorie deficit is an overall restriction, but that doesn't mean that there isn't plentiful choice within that framework. Like maybe I want to eat a whole pizza, but I am restricted to only eating two slices -- however, that is still my choice entirely.

Of course there are choices! :drinker: We choose which foods to restrict.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    Nony_Mouse wrote: »
    Oh, it's under "reports". They are all separate.

But they're weekly reports, right? No chance to see it on one particular day? (Or did I misunderstand and these weekly reports are what you all meant?)

It still shows you the amount for each day separately during the week.

Ohhhh I (finally) see what you mean.

Well, yes, but for instance, I see that my vitamin C and vitamin A intake is solid, my calcium is so-so ... and my iron intake sucks. Except on some days, apparently. But what a drag it would be to go and check each of those higher days... and furthermore guess what food provided more iron (I know it was liver on one particular day, lol, the amount sky rocketed).

I thought maybe there was a way to see those stats more clearly, as with the macros, where you get a better understanding and learn easier. But I guess there is not.

Ok, I'll go away now, ha.

You can change what shows along the bottom of your daily diary if there are things you particularly want to keep an eye on. For example, I know sugar and sodium aren't an issue for me, so I switched those to fiber and iron. It only seems to want to let you track five things at a time unfortunately (or I'm a numpty and can't see how to add more!).

Huh... this is brilliant!

I tracked sodium at first (think it was set by default?), but quickly realized my sodium intake is naturally low and takes care of itself. So I switched it to sugar and fiber, which by now I know how to manage just fine.

I didn't even remember that the rest of the micros were available for tracking! I guess at the time I was just concerned with learning about the more popular macros... which, in these past months, I have.

So this is a good point to start learning how my food affects the micros! Iron and calcium, it seems, are my low points.

Thanks again for spreading the knowledge "). It's appreciated. This Monday involves day one of plank challenge aaand micro awareness. Very exciting! Haha

P.S. I have a feeling the data entries will blow regarding micro information, but oh well. :mrgreen:

Yeah, I change my extra two (after the macros) around all the time, but most of them really aren't that informative just because the database information may be lacking. I gave up on calcium and iron for that reason.

I like the idea of tracking micros, but I think it would drive me batty to actually try to do it, and I actually think there may be benefits to eating certain foods that are considered "healthy" than we specifically know about in terms of the identified micros. So rather than track micros I mostly just try to eat a varied and nutritious diet with lots of veggies and figure it will sort itself out.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    For me, regular and vigorous exercise is the single most important thing I need to do. Everything else builds on that.

This is true for me too.

I tend to eat better and more in line with my calorie needs without trying so hard (although I do pay attention, of course) when I'm active.