Walking your dog - if you don't have one, walk your neighbor's dog!

Options
I usually walk my dog a mile in the morning, then another mile in the late evening. Last night, I took my doxie with me to my niece's and nephew's activities at church, and my dog and I walked for an entire hour! Plus another twenty minutes at a park. While at my church, an obese man sat in his car with the air conditioning running and windows open while his daughter went to her activity class. I so wanted to ask him to come for a walk with us. Maybe next time I will.

Replies

• Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    He'll think you want his body

:nods:

• snickerscharlie
    snickerscharlie Posts: 8,578 Member
    Options
    I'd be hesitant to walk any of my neighbour's dogs, to be honest, and I'm a big animal lover. Because what if they got loose, or encountered a unleashed dog and got into a fight? What if they bit someone? It's different if it's your own animal, but somebody else's? I wouldn't want the guilt or potential liability if something happened. :(
  • TimothyFish
    TimothyFish Posts: 4,925 Member
    Options
    I have some obese friends who seem pretty content the way they are. I've seen them use their stomach fat as a sort of table that they can lay things on while they're sitting down.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    Options
    I don't like walking dogs... they slow me down, lol.
  • isulo_kura
    isulo_kura Posts: 818 Member
    Options
    I usually walk my dog a mile in the morning, then another mile in the late evening. Last night, I took my doxie with me to my niece's and nephew's activities at church, and my dog and I walked for an entire hour! Plus another twenty minutes at a park. While at my church, an obese man sat in his car with the air conditioning running and windows open while his daughter went to her activity class. I so wanted to ask him to come for a walk with us. Maybe next time I will.
    Seems rather Judgemental to me. How do you know he didn't have a disability and is unable to walk far due to health conditions. It's very dangerous ground to make such assumptions that you seem yo be implying about people.

Also why do you need a dog to go for a walk? Just walk if you want to?
  • thankyou4thevenom
    thankyou4thevenom Posts: 1,581 Member
    Options
    My dog had been the best thing to get me up and running again. The running has a set time because I'm training and he loves it. Or he did when he was on the extension leash. I've now got one of those hands free leashes and he's having to adjust.
    We also go on a second walk which I always intend to be short but I always end up out for an hour or more.
  • snickerscharlie
    snickerscharlie Posts: 8,578 Member
    Options
    isulo_kura wrote: »
    Seems rather Judgemental to me. How do you know he didn't have a disability and is unable to walk far due to health conditions. It's very dangerous ground to make such assumptions that you seem yo be implying about people.

This. ^^^

• Keiko385
    Keiko385 Posts: 514 Member
    Options
    I walk my two but also volunteered at a rescue for a while. Twenty-eight dogs needed walks and play time once a week. I was whipped, the dogs were content but never tired lol
  • likehlikeo
    likehlikeo Posts: 185 Member
    Options
    20-25k every day for us (my dog is an hyperactive *kitten* hehe)...
  • LegendOfErin
    LegendOfErin Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Allergies prevent me from being around animals, sadly.
  • AMSmit88
    AMSmit88 Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    MrM27 wrote: »
    I would rather get stabbed in the eye than let someone walk my dog.

^^this!

I just went on holiday and left my dog with my long-term boyfriend who is used to taking him on walks and I still spent the whole week in a state of heightened anxiety!

Saying that though, dog walking is amazing for getting you to do that extra bit of exercise you maybe wouldn't think to do anyway. I don't log my walks with my dog though because I just see taking him out several times a day as part of my normal, everyday activity levels.
  • Chrysalid2014
    Chrysalid2014 Posts: 1,038 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    I signed up to this; Borrow My Doggy... it's kind of like a dating agency but matches you up with a dog instead (!)... but then decided I was too nervous about taking responsibility for someone else's dog. But, am still thinking of doing it – I can't have a dog of my own right now so it could be the perfect solution. It's true that it might actually slow you down if you're a power walker (allowing for endless sniffing/peeing on every lamp post/chasing butterflies etc).
  • forgtmenot
    forgtmenot Posts: 860 Member
    Options
    I have two doxies I walk at least once a day every day. They know when we walk it is time to walk, not sniff the bushes, even the baby who is only 3.5 months.
  • zyxst
    zyxst Posts: 9,134 Member
    Options
    isulo_kura wrote: »

This. ^^^

+2

I don't want to walk a dog. I can't deal with picking up freshly squirreled-out poop from other creatures. I barely make it changing a poopy diaper without heaving and there's a lot more "protection" with a diaper than a plastic baggie.
  • beemerphile1
    beemerphile1 Posts: 1,710 Member
    Options
    I don't really like dogs and don't need an excuse to walk or run.
  • lishie_rebooted
    lishie_rebooted Posts: 2,973 Member
    Options
    I signed up to this; Borrow My Doggy... it's kind of like a dating agency but matches you up with a dog instead (!)... but then decided I was too nervous about taking responsibility for someone else's dog. But, am still thinking of doing it – I can't have a dog of my own right now so it could be the perfect solution. It's true that it might actually slow you down if you're a power walker (allowing for endless sniffing/peeing on every lamp post/chasing butterflies etc).

Instead of doing that @chrysalid2014 why not go volunteer at an animal shelter and walk those dogs?
    One of the shelters up here is advertising the need for walkers. And an MFP friend would take a shelter dog once or twice a week on a run with him...
  • TiffanyR71
    TiffanyR71 Posts: 217 Member
    Options
    I dog-sat my mother-in-law's dog and thought it would be fun to walk her. Not all dogs are good walking partners! Breed and training play a part- she was a lazy little b#### - She slowed me down when she WAS walking, then decided to just lie down in the road - so, I got to not only carry a bag of her steaming, stinky business, but also the lazy dog herself!

I'd much rather fly solo, personally!

Do what works for you and gets you moving...
  • Chrysalid2014
    Chrysalid2014 Posts: 1,038 Member
    Options

Instead of doing that @chrysalid2014 why not go volunteer at an animal shelter and walk those dogs?
    One of the shelters up here is advertising the need for walkers. And an MFP friend would take a shelter dog once or twice a week on a run with him...

I would really like to do that too but it's not as practical: the local shelter is a half hour bus ride from where I live, in an area on the outskirts of town where I hardly ever go otherwise, and £4 in bus fare, and my favourite walking route starts at my house and goes in the opposite direction. Even so perhaps I'll look into that again. Coincidentally I have to go up there tomorrow to have my body fat percentage measured at the sports science institute which is right next door – maybe your suggestion was fate...
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    Two of our dogs are good walkers and the third is...not. He was a good racer so I thought he might like running instead but this was him after two 60 sec run / 90 sec walk intervals when I tried to put him through C25k. I had to turn around to take this picture because he was behind me and I was not running fast at all. He just didn't want to do it. He likes running sprints around the yard and through the house but outside of that, he's a lazy bum.

ex_zpsotcgwu5r.jpg