Walking your dog - if you don't have one, walk your neighbor's dog!

Options

Replies

• MYhealthyjourney70
    MYhealthyjourney70 Posts: 276 Member
    Options
    i love walking my pup.. i have an 18month old pit/lab mix and she loves going on walks and hikes.. she wears a back pack and carries her water, treats, water bowl and extra poo bags.. i would not trust anyone outside of my immediate family to walk her...
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,996 Member
    Options
    OP - your nieces and nephews are in an activity class at the same time as the man in the car's kid? I think it would be a nice gesture to invite him to walk with you.
  • kshama2001
    Options
    My husky was a great motivator to walk. We walked 1/2 mile in the AM and up to 2 miles at night. Him needing it gave me extra motivation. Sadly, he died young of cancer.

I borrow my neighbor's Shih Tzu sometimes, but it just isn't the same. In addition to her not bing as good on the trail, sometimes I spend 30 minutes walking and 60 minutes combing her out.

pbl398qh1aos.jpg
  • Chrysalid2014
    Chrysalid2014 Posts: 1,038 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    kshama2001 wrote: »
    My husky was a great motivator to walk. We walked 1/2 mile in the AM and up to 2 miles at night. Him needing it gave me extra motivation. Sadly, he died young of cancer.

Aww, what a beautiful boy..!

• PaulaWallaDingDong
    PaulaWallaDingDong Posts: 4,641 Member
    Options
    I don't have a dog, but whenever I hit 3 mph on a walk, MFP defaults to "moderate pace, walking dog." So apparently I don't need one.
  • Dnarules
    Dnarules Posts: 2,081 Member
    Options
    I don't have a dog, but whenever I hit 3 mph on a walk, MFP defaults to "moderate pace, walking dog." So apparently I don't need one.

LOL

• mygnsac
    mygnsac Posts: 13,413 Member
    Options
    I usually walk my dog a mile in the morning, then another mile in the late evening. Last night, I took my doxie with me to my niece's and nephew's activities at church, and my dog and I walked for an entire hour! Plus another twenty minutes at a park. While at my church, an obese man sat in his car with the air conditioning running and windows open while his daughter went to her activity class. I so wanted to ask him to come for a walk with us. Maybe next time I will.

We take our dog for a walk at dawn and again at dusk everyone day, rain or shine. When we are trying to exercise, we leave him behind. He likes to stop and smell every blade of grass, bush or tree he passes. Kinda hard building up the heart rate with him. Ha! I often like to take a long walk around the neighborhood at night, and if he sees me leaving, when I get back he's waiting at the door expecting me to take him out too. Hard to resist those eyes and that waggy tail!

As far as the obese man in the car, unless it was someone I knew, and I knew their circumstances, I wouldn't presume to do that, but if you do, I hope you are tactful about it.
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,942 Member
    Options
    I usually walk my dog a mile in the morning, then another mile in the late evening. Last night, I took my doxie with me to my niece's and nephew's activities at church, and my dog and I walked for an entire hour! Plus another twenty minutes at a park. While at my church, an obese man sat in his car with the air conditioning running and windows open while his daughter went to her activity class. I so wanted to ask him to come for a walk with us. Maybe next time I will.

If I walk my neighbor's dog, my cats will be very upset. I'll have to pass and stick to running with no dog. :D
  • andympanda
    andympanda Posts: 763 Member
    Options
    I actually earn money by walking people's dog's. These are not lazy people, these are either people with health problems, or on vacation.
  • plumsparkle
    plumsparkle Posts: 203 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    My elderly neighbour had a heart problem and couldn't walk his dog properly, so I started taking him for walks, which was great, as it got me out of the house every day. Gradually, we started running, and together we did the c25k! The neighbours operation was successful, and he started walking the dog again, but Roly still loved our runs. I have moved now, but I still occasionally go to see them, and every time, I have to take the dog for a run or he sulks :smiley:
  • kshama2001
    Options
    My husky was dreadful when we first got him. His last owners hadn't treated him well and he was terrible on the leash. I walked him on a golf course (on the edges when the golfers were on and in it when they left for the day) and he would pull and pull and pull at the sight of another dog or birds. A 75 pound husky has quite a pull!

My ex and I worked with him every day and he became the bestest dog in the whole world.
  • FullofTrixie
    FullofTrixie Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    I love walking my dog. And my dog makes me walk even when I would rather sit on the couch once I am out there all is good

• parker313_99
    parker313_99 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    We have a 2yr old lab/greyhoundish mix and she's the best running/walking partner ever. We walk every morning after walking my son to school and we've got a running belt so I can clip her leash in. She's done several races with me - everything from a 5K up to a half marathon. When I would take a walking break during the half marathon, she would whine at me, as if to ask "WHY AREN'T WE RUNNING?!".
  • CooCooPuff
    CooCooPuff Posts: 4,374 Member
    Options
    I love watching my older sister's dog because walking her is always fun. She's always excited to see me because me and my brother are the only ones that will give her the walk a young, energetic mutt like her deserves.

My sister never bothers with any sort of training or care outside of making sure the dog is fed. She actually dumped her last pet, a cat, because it didn't use the litter box. Turns out, the sister never cleaned it.
  • Lasmartchika
    Lasmartchika Posts: 3,440 Member
    Options
    I'd rather kill myself than walk any dog. :grumble:

I do just fine without an animal. :+1:
  • atypicalsmith
    atypicalsmith Posts: 2,742 Member
    Options
    My elderly neighbour had a heart problem and couldn't walk his dog properly, so I started taking him for walks, which was great, as it got me out of the house every day. Gradually, we started running, and together we did the c25k! The neighbours operation was successful, and he started walking the dog again, but Roly still loved our runs. I have moved now, but I still occasionally go to see them, and every time, I have to take the dog for a run or he sulks :smiley:

What a wonderful experience! I'm so glad you were there for them both!
  • atypicalsmith
    Options

Too funny!11
  • tracie_minus100
    tracie_minus100 Posts: 465 Member
    Options
    maidentl wrote: »
    I let my niece and nephew and the neighborhood kids walk my dog all the time. He's very well trained, and I showed them exactly how to hold the leash. We walk past nearly every neighbors' houses and hear their dogs barking from inside, who are never taken on a walk. THAT'S what we're talking about to the people who can't figure it out.

I'm just curious, how do you verify that none of their dogs are ever taken on a walk?

Because I've offered to take their dogs on a walk and they say that they get enough exercise running around inside the house.

Maybe they just didn't know how to say they don't want a stranger walking their dog?
    Anyway, I take my Pomeranian for a walk everyday. He's a little plump so we both need the exercise.
  • atypicalsmith
    Options
    MrM27 wrote: »
    ehExgh8.jpg?1

What a cutie!!!