Walking your dog - if you don't have one, walk your neighbor's dog!

Options

Replies

• Jruzer
    Jruzer Posts: 3,501 Member
    Options
    Yeah, if any of my neighbors asked to walk my dog I would tell them to pound sand. I would be politer to the ones I like.
  • beemerphile1
    beemerphile1 Posts: 1,710 Member
    Options
    I don't have any dogs and love to hike in the mountains around me but won't do it alone so I borrow a friend's dog. I swear she saved my life once.
    We were hiking along, she stopped and sniffed the air then came to me and cowered at my feet. I put the leash on her and tried to get her to continue the hike but she wouldn't have it. She literally pulled me back to the car so I drove us to another area and she was fine.
    I bet that there was a bear or cougar nearby.

Please keep the dog on a leash at all times, and the definition of a leash is 6' or less. This is for the dog's safety, your safety, the wildlife's safety, and for my safety.

I have had more close encounters with dogs out in the woods than I have with wild animals. There has been two times in recent years that I nearly had to resort to firearm use on threatening dogs that were off leash. The owners weren't even apologetic.

Molly is very well trained. Anytime there is another person on a trail, she knows to return to my side, we step off the trail and she sits with my hand on her collar until the other hikers are well away from us. Also, she is never more than about 10 feet away from me at any time and several of the hikes that we do, I never see another person. She has never taken off after any kind of wildlife.
    That training is what had her return to me when she sensed danger.

Some good friends have a German Shepard that is very well trained. It has had hours and hours of obedience training and by all outward appearances is very docile. Last weekend we were camping together and they had it on a leash but were not holding the leash. Someone with a small dog walked by and Belle jumped up ran across the drive and got a piece of the small dog.

Now they have vet bills, a possible law suit, they were asked to leave the campground, and the problems associated with owning a dog labeled as aggressive. All because they did not control their dog as the law requires.
  • leggup
    leggup Posts: 2,942 Member
    Options
    I signed up to this; Borrow My Doggy... it's kind of like a dating agency but matches you up with a dog instead (!)... but then decided I was too nervous about taking responsibility for someone else's dog. But, am still thinking of doing it – I can't have a dog of my own right now so it could be the perfect solution. It's true that it might actually slow you down if you're a power walker (allowing for endless sniffing/peeing on every lamp post/chasing butterflies etc).

Instead of doing that @chrysalid2014 why not go volunteer at an animal shelter and walk those dogs?
    One of the shelters up here is advertising the need for walkers. And an MFP friend would take a shelter dog once or twice a week on a run with him...

There's a free app coming soon called Walkzee that connects people who want to walk dogs with local shelters and rescues to help 1. exercise the dogs 2. get the dogs visibility in their area 3. socialize the dogs.
  • beemerphile1
    Options
    MrM27 wrote: »
    I don't have any dogs and love to hike in the mountains around me but won't do it alone so I borrow a friend's dog. I swear she saved my life once.
    We were hiking along, she stopped and sniffed the air then came to me and cowered at my feet. I put the leash on her and tried to get her to continue the hike but she wouldn't have it. She literally pulled me back to the car so I drove us to another area and she was fine.

Please keep the dog on a leash at all times, and the definition of a leash is 6' or less. This is for the dog's safety, your safety, the wildlife's safety, and for my safety.

I have had more close encounters with dogs out in the woods than I have with wild animals. There has been two times in recent years that I nearly had to resort to firearm use on threatening dogs that were off leash. The owners weren't even apologetic.
    Yea, your hate dogs, you almost had to use a firearm on a dog........I'm sure the dogs are the issue.

I don't hate dogs, I have owned several but not now because they don't fit my current lifestyle. I do dislike dog owners that violate the laws and think the law only pertains to someone else. Dogs can be very aggressive when they perceive a threat whether correct or not.
  • llUndecidedll
    llUndecidedll Posts: 724 Member
    Options
    The OP's post is a little judgemental towards the end, but I do enjoy walking and dogs even though I don't have one.... But please folks, be responsible pet owners/guardians. Most pets are predictable if properly trained, but they have their moments when their behavior is out of the norm. My little sister was attacked by our neighbor's dog when they were out. Nothing unusual there, both being outside, but the dog was not properly restrained. I wanted to sue, but my parents didn't want to go that far. The dog was put to sleep, though. I don't blame the dog, though, I blame its owners.
    Some good friends have a German Shepard that is very well trained. It has had hours and hours of obedience training and by all outward appearances is very docile. Last weekend we were camping together and they had it on a leash but were not holding the leash. Someone with a small dog walked by and Belle jumped up ran across the drive and got a piece of the small dog.

Now they have vet bills, a possible law suit, they were asked to leave the campground, and the problems associated with owning a dog labeled as aggressive. All because they did not control their dog as the law requires.

• randomtai
    randomtai Posts: 9,003 Member
    Options
    zyxst wrote: »
    isulo_kura wrote: »
    I usually walk my dog a mile in the morning, then another mile in the late evening. Last night, I took my doxie with me to my niece's and nephew's activities at church, and my dog and I walked for an entire hour! Plus another twenty minutes at a park. While at my church, an obese man sat in his car with the air conditioning running and windows open while his daughter went to her activity class. I so wanted to ask him to come for a walk with us. Maybe next time I will.
    Seems rather Judgemental to me. How do you know he didn't have a disability and is unable to walk far due to health conditions. It's very dangerous ground to make such assumptions that you seem yo be implying about people.

Also why do you need a dog to go for a walk? Just walk if you want to?

This. ^^^

+2

I don't want to walk a dog. I can't deal with picking up freshly squirreled-out poop from other creatures. I barely make it changing a poopy diaper without heaving and there's a lot more "protection" with a diaper than a plastic baggie.

All of this for me.
  • kraft_kris
    kraft_kris Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    Francl27 wrote: »
    I don't like walking dogs... they slow me down, lol.

Mine slows me down too - but he gets me out the door!

• AMSmit88
    AMSmit88 Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    maidentl wrote: »
    I didn't know I had to have a dog to walk. I've been doing it wrong.

Pets always make exercise better...

Oh, I have pets but they're cats. We tried to walk one of them once. He walked into the shrubbery and laid down and then refused to move. :laugh:

Oh cats are too funny :D

pmho2zthrezc.jpeg
  • SconnieCat
    SconnieCat Posts: 770 Member
    Options
    I didn't know I had to have a dog to walk. I've been doing it wrong.

Pets always make exercise better...

Oh, I have pets but they're cats. We tried to walk one of them once. He walked into the shrubbery and laid down and then refused to move. :laugh:

Oh cats are too funny :D

pmho2zthrezc.jpeg

Coincidentally, I have a neighbor who will put a leash on her cat and try to walk it. I see her all the time trying to get the cat to walk with her or her yelling at the cat to get down after it has climbed up a tree.

• Alluminati
    Alluminati Posts: 6,208 Member
    Options
    "Walking the Dog"

lol.
  • PeachyCarol
    PeachyCarol Posts: 8,029 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options

The owners were nearby and you... shot their dogs? And then expected an apology?

I'm going to stick with the treadmill in the gym. Not for fear of loose dogs, but just in case any randoms are out walking with guns. That, and I hate bugs and humidity.

Also? It's not my business how someone chooses to spend their time, no matter what they weigh.
  • beemerphile1
    Options

The owners were nearby and you... shot their dogs? And then expected an apology?

I'm going to stick with the treadmill in the gym. Not for fear of loose dogs, but just in case any randoms are out walking with guns. That, and I hate bugs and humidity.

Having trouble with your reading comprehension? No dog was shot.
  • atypicalsmith
    atypicalsmith Posts: 2,742 Member
    Options
    Amerielle wrote: »
    My neighbor's dog bit me while I was out for a run.

If you had been walking a dog, it would have protected you.
  • barbecuesauce
    barbecuesauce Posts: 1,779 Member
    Options

I had a dog who was severely injured when my neighbor's German Shepherds attacked. I think she was the target of their aggression because I had seen them loose before and they hadn't bothered me.
  • sullus
    sullus Posts: 2,839 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options

Or gotten bit (Got bitten? gotten bitten? got bit? aaaargh) as well.

• atypicalsmith
    Options
    I have some obese friends who seem pretty content the way they are. I've seen them use their stomach fat as a sort of table that they can lay things on while they're sitting down.

Yep. And to the people who said I was judgmental - He's perfectly capable of walking, but chooses not too. His wife and kid are also obese. Sad.
  • atypicalsmith
    Options
    Edit - Kids.
  • PeachyCarol
    PeachyCarol Posts: 8,029 Member
    Options

Okay, so just fired the gun in the air? You sort of left that one hanging. No need for the insult, you weren't very specific.

• atypicalsmith
    edited May 2015
    Options

Okay, so just fired the gun in the air? You sort of left that one hanging. No need for the insult, you weren't very specific.

I thought she said she had to resort to firearms. Maybe the dogs got scared when they saw the gun(s)?
  • sullus
    sullus Posts: 2,839 Member
    Options
    I have some obese friends who seem pretty content the way they are. I've seen them use their stomach fat as a sort of table that they can lay things on while they're sitting down.

Yep. And to the people who said I was judgmental - He's perfectly capable of walking, but chooses not too. His wife and kid are also obese. Sad.

That doesn't make you sound less judgmental ...