Walking your dog - if you don't have one, walk your neighbor's dog!

Options

Replies

• zyxst
    zyxst Posts: 9,134 Member
    Options
    jemhh wrote: »
    Two of our dogs are good walkers and the third is...not. He was a good racer so I thought he might like running instead but this was him after two 60 sec run / 90 sec walk intervals when I tried to put him through C25k. I had to turn around to take this picture because he was behind me and I was not running fast at all. He just didn't want to do it. He likes running sprints around the yard and through the house but outside of that, he's a lazy bum.

ex_zpsotcgwu5r.jpg

Of course he doesn't like it. You're making him do his old job! :D Try a bunny on a stick?
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    zyxst wrote: »
    jemhh wrote: »
    Two of our dogs are good walkers and the third is...not. He was a good racer so I thought he might like running instead but this was him after two 60 sec run / 90 sec walk intervals when I tried to put him through C25k. I had to turn around to take this picture because he was behind me and I was not running fast at all. He just didn't want to do it. He likes running sprints around the yard and through the house but outside of that, he's a lazy bum.

ex_zpsotcgwu5r.jpg

Of course he doesn't like it. You're making him do his old job! :D Try a bunny on a stick?

Ha! He is a big fan of retirement for sure.
  • snickerscharlie
    snickerscharlie Posts: 8,578 Member
    Options
    Tie a bunny to your butt. ;)
  • Tubbs216
    Tubbs216 Posts: 6,597 Member
    Options
    Good idea, until your dog tears her doggie ACL and can no longer go on lovely long walks or to the off-leash park. If I want a long walk now, I have to do our 15 minutes round the neighbourhood and then bring her home before I go off walking again. Makes us both sad.
  • thereshegoesagain
    thereshegoesagain Posts: 1,056 Member
    Options
    I don't have any dogs and love to hike in the mountains around me but won't do it alone so I borrow a friend's dog. I swear she saved my life once.
    We were hiking along, she stopped and sniffed the air then came to me and cowered at my feet. I put the leash on her and tried to get her to continue the hike but she wouldn't have it. She literally pulled me back to the car so I drove us to another area and she was fine.
    I bet that there was a bear or cougar nearby.
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    Options
    Some dogs can be great exercise partners. Don't try to borrow my dogs though. They are both horrible exercise partners- mostly blind, small, elderly, wanting to walk in circles around you or sniff the same patch of ground. It is so much better walking without them.
  • snickerscharlie
    snickerscharlie Posts: 8,578 Member
    Options
    zyxst wrote: »
    isulo_kura wrote: »
    I usually walk my dog a mile in the morning, then another mile in the late evening. Last night, I took my doxie with me to my niece's and nephew's activities at church, and my dog and I walked for an entire hour! Plus another twenty minutes at a park. While at my church, an obese man sat in his car with the air conditioning running and windows open while his daughter went to her activity class. I so wanted to ask him to come for a walk with us. Maybe next time I will.
    Seems rather Judgemental to me. How do you know he didn't have a disability and is unable to walk far due to health conditions. It's very dangerous ground to make such assumptions that you seem yo be implying about people.

Also why do you need a dog to go for a walk? Just walk if you want to?

This. ^^^

+2

I don't want to walk a dog. I can't deal with picking up freshly squirreled-out poop from other creatures. I barely make it changing a poopy diaper without heaving and there's a lot more "protection" with a diaper than a plastic baggie.

It's even worse in the winter when it steams! LOL.
  • faegirl22
    faegirl22 Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    I don't have any dogs and love to hike in the mountains around me but won't do it alone so I borrow a friend's dog. I swear she saved my life once.
    We were hiking along, she stopped and sniffed the air then came to me and cowered at my feet. I put the leash on her and tried to get her to continue the hike but she wouldn't have it. She literally pulled me back to the car so I drove us to another area and she was fine.

My dog has saved my butt hiking a couple times. We were on the trail and I was chatting with my friend and not really paying attention. He just stopped dead in front of me, I nearly tripped over him. I look up and there was a massive rattler sitting in the path, tail shaking and all, I would have stepped on him for sure if my pup hadn't stopped.
  • jkal1979
    jkal1979 Posts: 1,896 Member
    Options
    I have two Jack Russells. I wouldn't trust just anyone to walk them without me being around.
  • barbecuesauce
    barbecuesauce Posts: 1,779 Member
    Options
    MrM27 wrote: »
    I would rather get stabbed in the eye than let someone walk my dog.

For real. I'm still dogless at the moment, but I would get nervous leaving them at kennels when I was out of town.

And OP sounds a big judgy. I get that you've seen the light and want to convert others, but don't try to recruit someone you know only as Obese Man.
  • maidentl
    maidentl Posts: 3,203 Member
    Options
    I didn't know I had to have a dog to walk. I've been doing it wrong.
  • beemerphile1
    beemerphile1 Posts: 1,710 Member
    Options

Please keep the dog on a leash at all times, and the definition of a leash is 6' or less. This is for the dog's safety, your safety, the wildlife's safety, and for my safety.

I have had more close encounters with dogs out in the woods than I have with wild animals. There has been two times in recent years that I nearly had to resort to firearm use on threatening dogs that were off leash. The owners weren't even apologetic.
  • forgtmenot
    forgtmenot Posts: 860 Member
    Options
    faegirl22 wrote: »

My dog has saved my butt hiking a couple times. We were on the trail and I was chatting with my friend and not really paying attention. He just stopped dead in front of me, I nearly tripped over him. I look up and there was a massive rattler sitting in the path, tail shaking and all, I would have stepped on him for sure if my pup hadn't stopped.

My older doxie will find water moccasins if we are walking around any body of water. I guess she has learned exactly what they smell like or something. If she is stopped and staring into the water or around the water I automatically know why. I'm not quite sure what she would do if she was able to get to one. Probably try to eat it. She's an idiot.
  • AMSmit88
    AMSmit88 Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    maidentl wrote: »

Pets always make exercise better...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QQYK5vT9TBI
  • thereshegoesagain
    thereshegoesagain Posts: 1,056 Member
    Options

Please keep the dog on a leash at all times, and the definition of a leash is 6' or less. This is for the dog's safety, your safety, the wildlife's safety, and for my safety.

I have had more close encounters with dogs out in the woods than I have with wild animals. There has been two times in recent years that I nearly had to resort to firearm use on threatening dogs that were off leash. The owners weren't even apologetic.

Molly is very well trained. Anytime there is another person on a trail, she knows to return to my side, we step off the trail and she sits with my hand on her collar until the other hikers are well away from us. Also, she is never more than about 10 feet away from me at any time and several of the hikes that we do, I never see another person. She has never taken off after any kind of wildlife.
    That training is what had her return to me when she sensed danger.
  • maidentl
    Options

Oh, I have pets but they're cats. We tried to walk one of them once. He walked into the shrubbery and laid down and then refused to move. :laugh:
  • Amerielle
    Amerielle Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    My neighbor's dog bit me while I was out for a run.
  • Hippychick5983
    Hippychick5983 Posts: 130 Member
    Options

Oh, I have pets but they're cats. We tried to walk one of them once. He walked into the shrubbery and laid down and then refused to move. :laugh:

I have cats as well. Two of them go on the leash. They don't really walk though....more like take two steps and then roll in the grass.... or they just army crawl for a bit and give up.

• maidentl
    Options
    Amerielle wrote: »
    My neighbor's dog bit me while I was out for a run.

Probably because you didn't take him for a walk.