The Skinny on Obesity

Options
13»

Replies

• RavenLibra
    RavenLibra Posts: 1,737 Member
    Options
    I have a theory... WHAT emu doesn't... obesity is prevalent in the southern states... HOT climate... hunger signals and thirst signals are similar... folks drive from A to B... and move as little as possible... therefore dehydration and lack of physical exercise are the leading cause of obesity in the US of A... my Mama din't sit on a dumb egg :lol:
  • _John_
    _John_ Posts: 8,643 Member
    Options
    there's a group for this thread...
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,610 Member
    Options
    ninerbuff wrote: »
    Sugar consumption is the main focus from Lustig and his view of why obesity exists. Thing is that the US isn't even in the top 10 countries that consume the most sugar per capita. Brazil consumes more sugar per capita, yet doesn't have the the obesity percentage that the US has.
    While I don't discount that over consumption of sugar may be a contributor, obesity comes down to one main thing even with people who have health issues and that's overly exceeding the amount of calories consumed versus what one burns.
    Do I believe that sugar should be reduced in many peoples diets based on reported consumption? I do. But I don't believe that it's the actual cause of someone being very overweight or obese.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

You should check out the second episode. He says the same thing that you did concerning obesity and excess calories... but he explains how and why this over-consumption occurs. One possible cause being excess insulin, which blocks the necessary effects of leptin, causing leptin resistance... the reason why an obese person, who has tons of leptin, is still hungry.
    No doubt that hormones have a direct effect, however over consumption has more to do with people discounting or being oblivious to how many calories they are really consuming. Again, if insulin is the issue we should be seeing the SAME results from countries that consume more sugar laced foods than the US is. And the results aren't the same.

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

• ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,610 Member
    Options
    Hornsby wrote: »
    Listening to Lustig and taking what he says as truth is a lot like listening to Rush Limbaugh or Bill Maher and taking what they say as truth. It's propaganda with a sprinkle of truth, and a lot of scaremongering to freak out the gullible people who believe things without ever doing their own research.

Well, the man cares about a serious problem. CDC estimates that by 2035, 95% of us will be overweight or obese. By 2050, 1/3 of us will have diabetes....

But you know the CDC! Fear mongerers. smh.
    I care about the serious problem which is why I provide free advice here on the forums. But you don't have to really scare people into getting to believe you. It's better to give objective/open information and help them to find what program they can stick with best FOR LIFE.

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png