Ayurvedic nutrition for weight loss (and general sanity)

Options

Replies

• Alyssa_Is_LosingIt
    Alyssa_Is_LosingIt Posts: 4,696 Member
    Options
    kshama2001 wrote: »
    There is a now-closed thread that mentioned life-force in foods. I thought I'd bring that topic here. (Prana = life force.)

FOOD WITH PRANA: 12 principles of Ayurvedic food

Your body is a vehicle. Life has manifested itself through this vehicle. And to live your life to its fullest potential it’s vital that this vehicle is kept in its best condition through proper nourishment.

Your relation to food is an indicator of your relation to other aspects of your life. What you put in your body has a direct effect not only on your body but also on your mind and soul—on how you lead your life. If your food is full of Prana, life force, it will give you the ability to live your life to your fullest potential. Food that is pure, full of Prana and prepared with love, meditation and good healing vibrations gives you much more than just the feeling of satisfaction to the taste buds. It nourishes your body, mind, senses and soul while increasing physical energy, positive thinking, creativity, longevity and heightened awareness of life in all its beauty. It brings you closer to the Divine state.

The twelve principles of vapika meals

Sattvic food – Food that is primarily whole foods, plant based, lightly spiced, using no oil so that you feel refreshed and charged.

Read more: http://www.themindfulword.org/2013/ayurvedic-food-principles/

Life force in foods? Good healing vibrations? This cannot be real. It's 2015 FFS

Are we being punked?

Would you like to buy the world a Coke?

A Coke? Think of the toxins! Bad juju!

You'd have to eat like 12 pranas to get rid of all that damage!
  • Nony_Mouse
    Nony_Mouse Posts: 5,646 Member
    Options
    Chock full of prana:
    1011872.large.jpg
    Life force more or less means foods with heat sensitive enzymes.
    People that eat food with raw enzymes that haven't been heated higher than 116 degrees F for approx. 70% of their diet and above seem not to age as fast as others.

Yeah, pretty sure that if you look at pictures from "the good old days" back before there was all the boxed stuff? People were aging more quickly back then.

Advances in medical care and more leisure time have slowed down the clock for a great many people.

Of course, the greatest determining factor is genetics.

We've gone so far beyond the Woobicon now.
    People from "the good old days" ate a lot of cooked food and didn't have grocery stores stocked full of produce all year long but even then there were ones that would try to eat mostly uncooked fruits and vegetables.

What you eat, how much you eat and how much you exercise is more important that your genetics.

Sure. Have you looked at my profile? If you haven't, guess how hold I am.

I like how the ante has been upped to raw food now. I'm not sure that's part of ayurveda.

And mine (if it's swapped back to me rather than cats). And that's with many years of smoking, drinking and eating like a teenager. Go genetics!!
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,943 Member
    Options
    There is a now-closed thread that mentioned life-force in foods. I thought I'd bring that topic here. (Prana = life force.)

Your body is a vehicle. Life has manifested itself through this vehicle. And to live your life to its fullest potential it’s vital that this vehicle is kept in its best condition through proper nourishment.

Your relation to food is an indicator of your relation to other aspects of your life. What you put in your body has a direct effect not only on your body but also on your mind and soul—on how you lead your life. If your food is full of Prana, life force, it will give you the ability to live your life to your fullest potential. Food that is pure, full of Prana and prepared with love, meditation and good healing vibrations gives you much more than just the feeling of satisfaction to the taste buds. It nourishes your body, mind, senses and soul while increasing physical energy, positive thinking, creativity, longevity and heightened awareness of life in all its beauty. It brings you closer to the Divine state.

Sattvic food – Food that is primarily whole foods, plant based, lightly spiced, using no oil so that you feel refreshed and charged.

I just read those principles and....I'm nearly floored.

I refuse to put bowl inside of a big plate to eat my meals.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,952 Member
    Options
    Food is full of ... life force.

Let's see. Food is full of all sorts of things. Macro and micronutrients. These can be quantifiably assessed.

Life force? How does one measure that? How does one tell one food has it vs. one that doesn't? If I baked a cake with love and mindfulness out of organic ingredients, would it have life force?

And... eating foods bring you closer ... to a "divine state". What exactly is that? Where does it exist?

It may take practice, like seeing the picture in the 3-D drawings. Or it might be like trying to understand "red" if you are color blind.

My fiance doesn't experience food the way I do, and that's ok. When I told him I'd planted bell peppers, he asked when they would start producing. Other than needing to fit something into a Massachusetts gardening season, that's completely irrelevant to me. I get joy from harvesting food from my garden. He gets joy from golf. This is fine.

I feel connected with Nature and Source when I grow food. Eating the rainbow makes me happy.

e76de9a1873f962253fd1f6c3683e9eb.jpg

• kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,952 Member
    Options

Life force in foods? Good healing vibrations? This cannot be real. It's 2015 FFS

Are we being punked?

Psst - thread title - Ayurveda.

• PeachyCarol
    PeachyCarol Posts: 8,029 Member
    Options
    SLLRunner wrote: »

Why the need to waste water's life force washing extra dishes?

• SLLRunner
    Options

Why the need to waste water's life force washing extra dishes?

That's a good principle since California is in a drought right now, and water does not grow in a garden with rainbow veggies, and if you get caught over-watering your garden you get in big trouble. .
  • PeachyCarol
    Options

Let's see. Food is full of all sorts of things. Macro and micronutrients. These can be quantifiably assessed.

Life force? How does one measure that? How does one tell one food has it vs. one that doesn't? If I baked a cake with love and mindfulness out of organic ingredients, would it have life force?

And... eating foods bring you closer ... to a "divine state". What exactly is that? Where does it exist?

It may take practice, like seeing the picture in the 3-D drawings. Or it might be like trying to understand "red" if you are color blind.

My fiance doesn't experience food the way I do, and that's ok. When I told him I'd planted bell peppers, he asked when they would start producing. Other than needing to fit something into a Massachusetts gardening season, that's completely irrelevant to me. I get joy from harvesting food from my garden. He gets joy from golf. This is fine.

I feel connected with Nature and Source when I grow food. Eating the rainbow makes me happy.

I need to ... practice ... to connect to... Source... which is .... what exactly? Where is this thing to which I'm connecting and how will this influence my health/diet?

• SLLRunner
    Options

I feel connected with Nature and Source when I grow food. Eating the rainbow makes me happy,

Oh man, I wish I had room for a garden because love fresh veggies, and I'd love to have fruit trees again as well, but type of food does not make a person more or less spiritual. Besides this, I understand this lifestyle involves vomiting, which is outrageous and just insane. I only found this out through my own research, and not because any of those who support this lifestyle answered my question about puking some pages back.

http://holisticonline.com/ayurveda/ayv-treatment-panchakarma.htm
  • Alyssa_Is_LosingIt
    Alyssa_Is_LosingIt Posts: 4,696 Member
    Options

I feel connected with Nature and Source when I grow food. Eating the rainbow makes me happy,

Oh man, I wish I had room for a garden because love fresh veggies, and I'd love to have fruit trees again as well, but type of food does not make a person more or less spiritual. Besides this, I understand this lifestyle involves vomiting, which is outrageous and just insane. I only found this out through my own research, and not because any of those who support this lifestyle answered my question about puking some pages back.

http://holisticonline.com/ayurveda/ayv-treatment-panchakarma.htm

Just did a bit of reading. I mean WTF?
    Prior to starting Panchakarma, oiling and heating of the patient is done to bring the excess doshas from the limbs to their proper reservoirs in the digestive tract, from which they can be expelled. The doshas are then excited by a procedure called utkleshana, a therapy that makes the excess dosha anxious to leave the body. One to three nights prior to the start of Vamana, the patient is asked to drink one cup of oil two to three times a day until the stool becomes oily, or he feels nauseated (This treatment is called oleation or sneehana). Kapagenic diet is given to aggravate Kapha. On the morning of the Panchakarma, kapha aggravating foods such as basmati rice and yogurt with salt is given to further aggravate the kapha. Oil massage and fomentation are administered on the night before the day of Vamana. The application of the heat to the chest and back will liquefy kapha.
    Therapeutic vomiting (Vamana)

This treatment is used when there is congestion in the lungs causing repeated attacks of bronchitis, cough, cold or asthma. The objective of the therapy is to induce vomiting to get rid of the mucus causing excess kapha. A drink consisting of licorice and honey, or calamus root tea is given to the patient. (Other substances used include salt, and cardamom) Vomiting is induced by rubbing on the tongue. 4-8 vomiting is the target. After vomiting the patient will feel very comfortable; most of the congestion, wheezing and breathlessness will disappear along with the clearing of the sinus.

How is puking supposed to help get rid of lung maladies? The stomach and the lungs are not even connected! I can't believe nonsense like this is making a comeback. I miss science.
  • PeachyCarol
    edited June 2015
    Options

I need to ... practice ... to connect to... Source... which is .... what exactly? Where is this thing to which I'm connecting and how will this influence my health/diet?

All this brings to mind is
    mgc.gif

I'll be fair. I already know the answer to the question. Once upon a very long time, I was a "kitchen witch". I could "feel" the energy vibrations in my food as I prepared it. Really, truly FEEL it.

The mind is a very powerful thing.

Yes, I know, my awakening was hard won. It's part of why I'm so anti-woo now. I swallowed woo belief hook line and sinker in the past.

I KNOW how the thinking works. I thought it myself.

It's all nonsense that you fool yourself with.

• miriamtob
    miriamtob Posts: 436 Member
    Options
    Orphia wrote: »
    Whatstheharm is not a fear-mongering site. I know the person who maintains it.

He says:

"This site is designed to make a point about the danger of not thinking critically. Namely that you can easily be injured or killed by neglecting this important skill. We have collected the stories of over 670,000 people who have been injured or killed as a result of someone not thinking critically.

"We do this not to make light of their plight. Quite the opposite. We want to honor their memory and learn from their stories."

I think this thread is doing a good job at teaching critical thinking, if only people were open to learning.

The first story is made up. A critical thinking mind would have serious reservations about a site making such claims, no matter what their bias. The least they could do is post valid links to back up their claims. Can't find anything about this David Flint or his lawsuit in 1995.
    All a site like this does is validate people's fears= textbook fearmongering
  • PeachyCarol
    edited June 2015
    Options
    miriamtob wrote: »
    Orphia wrote: »
    Whatstheharm is not a fear-mongering site. I know the person who maintains it.

He says:

"This site is designed to make a point about the danger of not thinking critically. Namely that you can easily be injured or killed by neglecting this important skill. We have collected the stories of over 670,000 people who have been injured or killed as a result of someone not thinking critically.

"We do this not to make light of their plight. Quite the opposite. We want to honor their memory and learn from their stories."

I think this thread is doing a good job at teaching critical thinking, if only people were open to learning.

The first story is made up. A critical thinking mind would have serious reservations about a site making such claims, no matter what their bias. The least they could do is post valid links to back up their claims. Can't find anything about this David Flint or his lawsuit in 1995.
    All a site like this does is validate people's fears= textbook fearmongering

His case is cited in a book, is that good enough for you?

Here's a link, I don't know if it will take you there.

https://books.google.com/books?id=M3XBu-vpXgoC&pg=PA320&lpg=PA320&dq=david+flint+leukemia&source=bl&ots=kMoCduosiW&sig=ODiaWVD5fOwwgM4ceUA2UZ1jeZk&hl=en&sa=X&ei=NuFsVYyEPY_6yAT6u4KYAw&ved=0CC8Q6AEwAQ#v=onepage&q=david flint leukemia&f=false

Another cite, in New York Magazine:

https://books.google.com/books?id=Q-MCAAAAMBAJ&pg=PA95&lpg=PA95&dq=david+flint+leukemia&source=bl&ots=Yp_NSi-tP7&sig=LuIR5YfgzgR6GirdFKvRWXec6tk&hl=en&sa=X&ei=NuFsVYyEPY_6yAT6u4KYAw&ved=0CDkQ6AEwAw#v=onepage&q=david flint leukemia&f=false

So, your claim against the site is baseless.
  • miriamtob
    Options
    One lawsuit in 3000 years, woo, danger.
  • miriamtob
    Options
    http://www.iflscience.com/plants-and-animals/western-pooping-bad-your-booty
    Scientists seem to like this self care practice, commonly recommended by aryuvedic practitioners.
  • PeachyCarol
    edited June 2015
    Options
    miriamtob wrote: »
    One lawsuit in 3000 years, woo, danger.

Would you care to address the meat of the lawsuit? I thought ayurvedic was complementary medicine. It's telling that you can dismiss a man dying because his humors weren't aligned as opposed to receiving proper treatment as "just one lawsuit".

They did not send Flint to a traditional doctor for his leukemia. Triguna tested Flint's PULSE and declared the leukemia gone.

Granted this is one case, and of course malpractice exists in all disciplines. But if you would have read the Quackwatch link on Chopra, you'd have seen this:
    In 1984, Chopra met the Maharishi, who encouraged him to learn about Ayurveda. Chopra did so and in 1985 became director of the Maharishi Ayurveda Health Center for Stress Management in Lancaster, Massachusetts. He also founded and became president of the American Association for Ayurvedic Medicine and Maharishi Ayur-Veda Products International (MAPI). The FDA inspected MAPI in 1991 and 1992 after an article in the Journal of the American Medical Association alleged that the company was distributing products for treating AIDS, cancer, and other diseases. An FDA report that summarized the inspection findings noted that Chopra had been MAPI's sole stockholder until September 1987, when the stock was transferred to the tax-exempt Maharishi Ayurveda Foundation and that Chopra's attorney said that Chopra was no longer associated in any way with MAPI. [4]. MAPI is now called Maharishi Ayurveda Products.

Those diseases are not in the realm of whole body complementary medicine like you've been saying ayurvedic limits itself to.
  • miriamtob
    edited June 2015
    Options
    You are trying to pin all the blame of this man's tragedy on "ebil" Aryuveda. Ultimately, we are responsible for our own health. I agree with you when you say we should approach healthcare as consumers. Absolutely. Due diligence is required when seeking out your healthcare and wellness team. Doctors are not gods; they are humans who make mistakes. This does not discredit Aryuveda, which is an elegant and complex system, a science if you will, which noone on this forum understands with any depth, myself included. Eradicating an enormous, ancient body of knowledge would be wrong. From what I've learned, in history, losing knowledge never turns out well for people. What Aryuveda offers, is a perception shift of how we look at the body. I'm for keeping this tradition alive. It may challenge your world view and I understand how that can be scary for some. We can agree to disagree.