Spurry05 Posts: 113 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    I've just re enter my weight and MFP says I should eat 2130 calories

And my fitbits on charges
  • maillemaker
    maillemaker Posts: 1,253 Member
    Options
    MFP has me at 1570 calories a day, 260 pounds 5'8" tall, male, sedentary. This is set for a 2-pound-per-week loss, but I am achieving just over 1-pound-per week over the last 13 weeks. I attribute this to inaccurate logging.
  • Spurry05
    Options
    So I'm guessing I'm doing this all wrong then ?
    Tomorrows another day so from tomorrow what are you suggesting please?
  • chandramiller68
    chandramiller68 Posts: 189 Member
    Options
    Hi @markandrews760 , I found that Strava over estimates calories burned. I now use RunKeeper; it has a 'walking' mode.
  • futuremanda
    futuremanda Posts: 816 Member
    Options
    I've just re enter my weight and MFP says I should eat 2130 calories

And my fitbits on charges
    So I'm guessing I'm doing this all wrong then ?
    Tomorrows another day so from tomorrow what are you suggesting please?

I would suggest eating the 2130 that MFP says. Log your exercise -- MFP will add those calories to your total. Eat some of them, but not all. (Maybe half?)

Give it a month and see how you do.
  • Spurry05
    Options
    And when you run that, it gives you 1600? When I run it on an external calculator, it gives me 2066
    Sorry missed your post no it gives me 2130 I put the 1600 in thinking I was doing the right thing
  • Spurry05
    Options
    If I put sedentary in it says 1800 calories

Not sure which I should use now when I'm at work we don't move much as I'm a security guard and can be sat a lot
  • TR0berts
    TR0berts Posts: 7,739 Member
    Options
    I've set a limit of 1600 calories and so far I've had 841 with breakfast snack and lunch

I've linked my strava to MFP and just taken the dog out for 45mins it says I've burned 537 calories and it says I can now eat 1296 calories more

That plus the 841 I've already had = 2137

If I eat that will I still lose wait I've tried and don't seem too

So confused

I can't help with the rest of what's going on, but I think I can explain what you've described here.

1600 (start) - 841 (eaten) = 759 (remaining)

759 (remaining) + 537 (earned) = 1296.
  • futuremanda
    Options

Not sure which I should use now when I'm at work we don't move much as I'm a security guard and can be sat a lot

Sedentary is something like <5000 steps a day.

You could pick lightly active, and add your workouts to the exercise tab. (But don't log your dog walks.) You'd probably be pretty safe with that.

Or you could put a custom target in the middle. Like 2000.

Just so you know, even though MFP asks you how much you plan to exercise, it doesn't use that number when figuring out what you should eat. So if you want to lose 2 lbs a week, MFP gives you a calorie target that will get you there even if all you did was sleep and go to work and do your regular chores. So, when you then go on a bike ride or lift weights or something, MFP wants you to eat more -- otherwise, you could be eating too little. (Eating too little can mean you lose more muscle mass, perform badly when you workout, sit more because you don't have much energy, have mood swings, even have some symptoms of malnutrition, like losing hair.)

No calculator can give you your real number, only one starting point. You'll have to pick something that looks safe and doable for you, and try it for a month or two.
  • Spurry05
    Options
    TR0berts wrote: »
    I can't help with the rest of what's going on, but I think I can explain what you've described here.

1600 (start) - 841 (eaten) = 759 (remaining)

759 (remaining) + 537 (earned) = 1296.

Ye got that now, just strava had calories burned to high so linked my Fitbit now

Plus I have my calories allowance all wrong by the sounds of it

• earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    Options

I would start out with a sedentary setting (1800 calories) and eat back about 50% of earned exercise calories. Do this for about a month and re-evaluate based on your rate of loss and adjust accordingly.
  • Spurry05
    Options
    otherwise, you could be eating too little. (Eating too little can mean you lose more muscle mass, perform badly when you workout, sit more because you don't have much energy, have mood swings, even have some symptoms of malnutrition, like losing hair.)
    Sounds like me all over then I fall off and eat takeaways
  • atypicalsmith
    atypicalsmith Posts: 2,742 Member
    Options
    Eat less, move more. How much simpler can it get?
  • Spurry05
    Options
    Eat less, move more. How much simpler can it get?
    That's bollox and proven
  • Spurry05
    Options
    (But don't log your dog walks.) You'd probably be pretty safe with .
    Won't my fitbit log and a just when I walk the dog ???
  • Spurry05
    Options
    earlnabby wrote: »

I would start out with a sedentary setting (1800 calories) and eat back about 50% of earned exercise calories. Do this for about a month and re-evaluate based on your rate of loss and adjust accordingly.
    Thanks
  • earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    Options
    (But don't log your dog walks.) You'd probably be pretty safe with .
    Won't my fitbit log and a just when I walk the dog ???

Yes it will. You can either link your fitbit and use the numbers it gives you, or don't link it and log the dog walks as exercise. Just don't do both.
  • Dnarules
    Dnarules Posts: 2,081 Member
    Options
    earlnabby wrote: »

I would agree unless he has his fitbit linked. Then you only log exercises that fitbit doesn't measure. And you have to log those correctly so you don't count calories twice. If this has been said already, I apologize.

• futuremanda
    Options
    If you have a fitbit synced, it won't matter whether you choose sedentary or not anyway. Fitbit will adjust for you based on actual steps. If you're really lightly active, and pick sedentary, fitbit will send you a bunch of extra calories every day, because you're walking more than you told MFP you were.

Definitely do not log step-based activities if you've got a Fitbit on your account.
  • Spurry05
    Options
    If you have a fitbit synced, it won't matter whether you choose sedentary or not anyway. Fitbit will adjust for you based on actual steps. If you're really lightly active, and pick sedentary, fitbit will send you a bunch of extra calories every day, because you're walking more than you told MFP you were.

Definitely do not log step-based activities if you've got a Fitbit on your account.

So should I unlink the Fitbit and just manual log proper exercise I'm confused again