I don't get this

Options

Replies

• earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    Options
    If you have a fitbit synced, it won't matter whether you choose sedentary or not anyway. Fitbit will adjust for you based on actual steps. If you're really lightly active, and pick sedentary, fitbit will send you a bunch of extra calories every day, because you're walking more than you told MFP you were.

Definitely do not log step-based activities if you've got a Fitbit on your account.

So should I unlink the Fitbit and just manual log proper exercise I'm confused again

Either use your Fitbit OR log step based exercises. Do not do both.

I like the accuracy of my Fitbit so I use the information they give regarding calorie burn (but I don't trust it 100% so I eat back 50-75% of the additional calories it gives). I only log non step based exercises such as my lap swimming.

• Spurry05
    Spurry05 Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    earlnabby wrote: »
    If you have a fitbit synced, it won't matter whether you choose sedentary or not anyway. Fitbit will adjust for you based on actual steps. If you're really lightly active, and pick sedentary, fitbit will send you a bunch of extra calories every day, because you're walking more than you told MFP you were.

Definitely do not log step-based activities if you've got a Fitbit on your account.

So should I unlink the Fitbit and just manual log proper exercise I'm confused again

I like the accuracy of my Fitbit so I use the information they give regarding calorie burn (but I don't trust it 100% so I eat back 50-75% of the additional calories it gives). I only log non step based exercises such as my lap swimming.

I only charged it and it's added over 400 extra calories to eat can't be right

• earlnabby
    Options

How many steps is it showing for today? If you are anywhere close to 10,000 it is about right.

• Spurry05
    Options

How many steps is it showing for today? If you are anywhere close to 10,000 it is about right.

Think I got that wrong it said -400 in read it now has exercise 40 and 20 calories left

I only had the Fitbit on for 45 mins walk
  • earlnabby
    Options

Think I got that wrong it said -400 in read it now has exercise 40 and 20 calories left

I only had the Fitbit on for 45 mins walk

That is the negative calorie adjustment. It will show negative calories until you take enough steps, depending on your activity setting. At lightly active, you usually have to take somewhere around 5000 steps for it to start giving you extra calories to eat.

• DevilsFan1
    DevilsFan1 Posts: 342 Member
    Options
    I've set a limit of 1600 calories and so far I've had 841 with breakfast snack and lunch

I've linked my strava to MFP and just taken the dog out for 45mins it says I've burned 537 calories and it says I can now eat 1296 calories more

That plus the 841 I've already had = 2137

If I eat that will I still lose wait I've tried and don't seem too

So confused

I biked 15.5 miles this morning at over 16mph and Strava told me I burned less than 500 calories. Strava is giving you inaccurate numbers for whatever reason.
  • sullus
    sullus Posts: 2,839 Member
    Options
    Eat less, move more. How much simpler can it get?

The real question is .. how much less and how much more.
  • JeraldTX
    JeraldTX Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    Runkeeper and Fitbit both feed into MFP so they keep doubling up on me and I have to delete one of the entries.
  • WBB55
    WBB55 Posts: 4,131 Member
    Options
    For now, I agree with the people that suggest just eating a set amount for the next couple weeks. Say, 2000-2200 every day. And not logging exercise. Just try to eat exactly 2000 calories (and make sure you weigh and log everything you eat... EVERYTHING).

It doesn't have to be difficult. It goes a little against the settings of MFP, but if it's simpler and works...
  • Spurry05
    Options
    WBB55 wrote: »
    For now, I agree with the people that suggest just eating a set amount for the next couple weeks. Say, 2000-2200 every day. And not logging exercise. Just try to eat exactly 2000 calories (and make sure you weigh and log everything you eat... EVERYTHING).

It doesn't have to be difficult. It goes a little against the settings of MFP, but if it's simpler and works...

I think you're right do this for a month to keep it simple for now then work from there

• Spurry05
    Options
    Today is another day 7.30am here
    1800 calories for 4 weeks
  • Spurry05
    Options
    Everything logged for breakfast

C6E68EDB-0975-43E0-B981-A65B97D48211.png
  • Spurry05
    Options
    Everything logged from lunch

A490D24B-07DE-4927-BF95-9F120A7067D9.png
  • CM9178
    CM9178 Posts: 1,265 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    Looks like the fitbit is giving you a pretty huge adjustment if its already adding 784 calories to your day and it is only lunch time. This means that based off your Fitbit activity and calorie goal you have set, you are going to burn much more calories for the day than originally expected by MFP. You can reduce this adjustment by increasing the activity level you have set for yourself on MFP. Otherwise, you're going to end up with like 2000 calories to eat for dinner.

Personally, I'd suggest wearing your fitbit for a day of normal activity and then check the log at the end of the day to see how many calories it says you have burned. (this number is your TDEE - total daily energy expenditure.) You should then eat at a deficit from this number.
    For example, if the fitbit says that you have burned 3000 calories in a day and you want to lose 2 lbs per week, then subtract 3000-1000, so you'd eat 2000 calories per day. (500 calorie daily deficit rougly equals 1 lb per week weight loss).

*if you do any type of additional exercise that is not tracked by your fitbit, it is up to you if you want to enter that exercise in MFP and whether or not you want to eat any of those calories back or not*
  • Spurry05
    Options
    That doesn't make sense if I up the activity level in MFP it gives me even more calories for my dinner and want me to eat 3000 a day at the highest level

I have walked just over 5 miles today with the dog due to being on holiday from work and my Fitbit says I've taken 11000 steps so far

I'm sticking to the 1800 today as dog walking isn't hard exercise
  • CM9178
    CM9178 Posts: 1,265 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    That doesn't make sense if I up the activity level in MFP it gives me even more calories for my dinner and want me to eat 3000 a day at the highest level

I have walked just over 5 miles today with the dog due to being on holiday from work and my Fitbit says I've taken 11000 steps so far

Yes, that does make sense. You've already eaten 980 calories today and it wants you to eat another 1643 as of lunch time. That would be a total of 2623 for the day. BUT, as you continue burning more calories throughout the rest of the day, Fitbit is going to continue increasing the number of calories you have left to eat.

On MFP, scroll down your log to the bottom where you see the Fitbit Calorie adjustement, then click on it twice. It will give you a screen that says how many calories you've burned so far (from Fitbit), as well as a Full day projection of calories burned. It also lists the number of calories MFP THOUGHT you were going to burn. An 1800 calorie goal is still way too low.

You can also go on the Fitbit app and check how many calories it says you burned yesterday.
  • editorgrrl
    editorgrrl Posts: 7,060 Member
    Options

Your MFP calorie goal is activity level minus deficit. Your Fitbit burn is TDEE (total daily energy expenditure), aka your maintenance calories. If you eat at a reasonable deficit from that, you will lose weight.

Adjustments are the difference between your Fitbit burn and your MFP activity level. If (and only if) you enable negative calorie adjustments (in your diary settings), then eating back your adjustments means you're eating TDEE minus deficit. Increasing your activity level gives you more calories to start with, but smaller adjustments. So you're still eating the same number of calories—just spread out differently.

I'm 5'2", 120 lbs., and 46 years old, and I ate more than 1,800 calories yesterday. Undereating will not get you to goal any more quickly. In fact, deprivation usually leads to bingeing. Trust your Fitbit!
  • Spurry05
    Options
    Well MFP set it at 1800 daily negative calorie adjustment is enabled

And on a plate trying to eat healthy 1800 has huge plates of food

I probably only hit 12000 steps today due to being on holiday from work I'll have to see what a work day says next week
  • segacs
    segacs Posts: 4,599 Member
    Options
    The short version: You'll get the same number of calories regardless of what activity level you choose on MFP if you link to Fitbit. You'll just know about them earlier in the day if you choose a level as close as possible to your actual activity level.

• editorgrrl
    editorgrrl Posts: 7,060 Member
    Options
    Well MFP set it at 1800 daily negative calorie adjustment is enabled

And on a plate trying to eat healthy 1800 has huge plates of food

1,800 is your net calorie goal. The way MFP is structured, you're meant to eat back your exercise calories.

Also, set your calorie goal to .5 lbs. per week for every 25 lbs. you're overweight: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/account/change_goals_guided

Please read the Sexypants post. It's full of good "MFP 101" information:
    http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/1080242/a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants/p1