I don't get this

Options

Replies

• futuremanda
    futuremanda Posts: 816 Member
    Options
    Well MFP set it at 1800 daily negative calorie adjustment is enabled

And on a plate trying to eat healthy 1800 has huge plates of food

I probably only hit 12000 steps today due to being on holiday from work I'll have to see what a work day says next week

Your walking makes you lightly active, so you should really bump up from sedentary if you aren't going to sync the Fitbit. 1800 calories will still be WAY too low for you. You'll be undereating at that target. You probably need at least 2100 a day.
  • CM9178
    CM9178 Posts: 1,265 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    Yes, the above couple posts are exactly what I was saying.
    Yes, the activity level you set on MFP has not effect on anything, aside from the fact you'll have a better/more accurate idea of how many calories you're allowed to eat in the beginning of the day, rather than getting giant adjustments like you are right now.
    Trust the fitbit - look at how many calories it says you are burning and then set your deficit from there. Don't just pick 1800 as the number with nothing to base it on. Its too low for you.

I can pretty much guarantee that by the end of the day today, it will end up saying you should've eaten close to 3000 calories.
  • Spurry05
    Spurry05 Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    Then I will be eating different amounts every day ?

• CM9178
    edited May 2015
    Options

You could be, it depends if you consistently burn the same amount of calories every day or not. If you have some days that are more active than others, then yes, you will eat more on those days, than on a day where you are more sedentary. That is what the fitbit is for. It makes the adjustments to your calorie goal, based on how active you've been that day.

For example, last Friday I was pretty sedentary, only burned my TDEE which is around 1700, so I ate 1200 that day.
    Yesterday, I was active, burned around 2000, so I ate 1500.
    But I knew how much to eat because my fitbit made the adjustments to MFP.
  • Spurry05
    Options
    Ok I've set it to lightly active it predicted 2100 approx and shows this

A490D24B-07DE-4927-BF95-9F120A7067D9.png

The Fitbit bit shows this

EDD675C1-2D81-48BD-8B1F-2112294150CE.png

So how do I no what to eat each day ?
  • CM9178
    edited May 2015
    Options
    Ok so you've already burned 2668 calories today and it expects you to burn 3606.
    What do you have MFP set to for your weight loss goal? 2 lbs per week?
  • segacs
    segacs Posts: 4,599 Member
    Options

If you sync the Fitbit, yes. Because you move different amounts every day. So to maintain a consistent deficit, you'd also have to eat different amounts every day.

If you want, you could pick a number that's somewhere around the average of the number of calories that Fitbit gives you over, say, a 30 day period, and eat the same amount every day. You may want to wait a while before doing that, though, so you can get a better idea of what that number would be.
  • Spurry05
    Options
    CM9178 wrote: »

For example, last Friday I was pretty sedentary, only burned my TDEE which is around 1700, so I ate 1200 that day.

Didn't see your edit

Ok I fully understand this bit

Where does it show this information so I no what burned and what I can eat

Please bear with me it a lot to take in

• segacs
    Options

It'll show it on your Fitbit dashboard or mobile app.

And when it syncs with MFP, you'll get a calorie adjustment in MFP telling you how many calories you can eat.

A couple of key points here:
    1. Make sure your Fitbit and your MFP are set to the same time zone.
    2. Make sure you've chosen the food plan on Fitbit that corresponds with your weight loss goal on MFP. For instance, if you choose 1lb/week on MFP, make sure you've also chosen the "medium" food plan on Fitbit.
    3. If you do non-step exercise, you should log it on MFP. It will sync with Fitbit and replace the steps tracked at that time to avoid double-counting.

There's a Fitbit group on here that can explain a lot more of this.
  • Spurry05
    Options
    Ok so you've already burned 2668 calories today and it expects you to burn 3606.

2lbs a week that's the max it can do
    I no people don't like this but I don't trust the Fitbit washing the pots and talking a shower give you 500 steps that's no right surly
  • segacs
    Options
    I no people don't like this but I don't trust the Fitbit washing the pots and talking a shower give you 500 steps that's no right surly

Try setting it to dominant hand if you have it set to non-dominant right now. That should cut down on some of those ghost steps from moving your wrist.
  • CM9178
    Options

Didn't see your edit

Ok I fully understand this bit

Please bear with me it a lot to take in

Easiest place to see this is if you log into your Fitbit App. You can see the calories burned each day.
    But you don't need to worry about checking it daily, because Fitbit automatically makes the adjustment for you.

I would suggest checking it though after typical/normal day of activity for you. That will give you a baseline number of where to start as far as how many calories you're burning in a day (TDEE number), then subtract calories from that number based on how much you want to lose per week (500 calories per pound)
    THEN, set that number in MFP and then set the activity level in MFP so that it matches the Fitbit TDEE number from above, as closely as possible. This will ensure you don't get such large adjustments.
  • CM9178
    Options
    segacs wrote: »

It'll show it on your Fitbit dashboard or mobile app.

And when it syncs with MFP, you'll get a calorie adjustment in MFP telling you how many calories you can eat.

A couple of key points here:
    1. Make sure your Fitbit and your MFP are set to the same time zone.
    2. Make sure you've chosen the food plan on Fitbit that corresponds with your weight loss goal on MFP. For instance, if you choose 1lb/week on MFP, make sure you've also chosen the "medium" food plan on Fitbit.
    3. If you do non-step exercise, you should log it on MFP. It will sync with Fitbit and replace the steps tracked at that time to avoid double-counting.

There's a Fitbit group on here that can explain a lot more of this.

The food plan on the fitbit side means absolutely nothing, unless you are entering and tracking food on the fitbit app.
  • CM9178
    edited May 2015
    Options
    delete
  • CM9178
    Options

Try setting it to dominant hand if you have it set to non-dominant right now. That should cut down on some of those ghost steps from moving your wrist.

I don't know about that, I have the Fitbit One, so its not worn on my wrist. I only get steps counted if I'm actually walking.
  • Spurry05
    Options
    cant even find this on my fitbit
  • CM9178
    edited May 2015
    Options

2lbs a week that's the max it can do

Ok, so if it thinks you're going to burn 3606, and you want to lose 2lbs per week, you will probably end up eating around 2600 calories today:

2lbs per week = 1000 calorie deficit per day
    Calories expected to burn today: 3606
    Calorie goal for today: 3606 minus 1000 = 2606

MFP thought you were going to burn 2799 today, based on the activity level you have set, which is why you are getting 807 calories added to your goal for the day. (3606 minus 2799)

Clearly, at least for today, your 1800 calorie goal was way too low.
  • cazbit
    cazbit Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    I find that my vivosmart over estimates the exercise that I do. As well as the exercise machines. So I tend to stick with my daily allowance allocated by mfp for wanting to lose half a pound a week on light activity. I have found that's the best way to not accidentally eat more calories due to an over estimation on the device's part.

However if you are doing more strenuous exercise running, cycling etc I would eat half of those calories back as your body needs refuelled. But for walking the dog etc I would just ignore the calories its trying to give you back. Say thanks but no thanks :smiley:
  • Spurry05
    Options

i have
  • CM9178
    Options
    cant even find this on my fitbit

its in the app, but it isn't neccessary, ignore that advice.