Options

Replies

• FitForL1fe
    FitForL1fe Posts: 1,872 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    only 2 pages so far?

in for teh fun

also: is taking half of fen-phen only half as deadly?
  • BWBTrish
    BWBTrish Posts: 2,817 Member
    Options
    draznyth wrote: »
    only 2 pages so far?

in for teh fun

also: is taking half of fen-phen only half as deadly?

yeah we are all eating around this time....and did our CICO thingy

Wait till most of us are done eating and logging..than the fun will begin.

BTW lost a litle bit more then 90 pound without any pills or magic just keep on counting what i ate

• Orphia
    Orphia Posts: 7,097 Member
    Options
    I week ago I started taking diet pills. I've been taking the 1234 green bean coffee bean by Creative Bioscience. In a week, I've lost 3 pounds. I've taken diet pills in the past and have had success. I was wondering who else has taken diet pills. Have you had success with them? Which ones have you tried? Which diet pills have worked the best for you?

The authors of the so-called "scientific study" that was supposed to prove green coffee beans cause weight loss have retracted the study.

http://www.ibtimes.com/pulse/dr-oz-green-coffee-bean-study-retracted-latest-weight-loss-miracle-gets-debunked-1710173

That's right. The people who made the claim have said it is wrong, wrong, wrong.
  • maillemaker
    maillemaker Posts: 1,253 Member
    Options
    You cannot take Phentermine/Topamax for the rest of your life. So, pill popping isn't sustainable either and will likely result in weight gain after you stop taking the drug.

This is true. However, I can either lose the weight and have a shot at maintenance, or never lose the weight and never have a shot at maintenance.

See, there are two competing ideas. One idea is that you just have to learn new eating habits. Well, on the appetite suppressant, you are learning new eating habits. New habits take about 3 weeks to form. So after 6 months to a year of eating properly while taking appetite suppressants, new eating habits should be well and truly formed. If that is the case, then maintenance should not be an issue.

The other idea is that the body is always trying to get back to its original high-water mark of fat stores, as suggested by Dr. Liebel in his paper and video on adaptive thermogenesis. In which case as soon as you stop the pills the hunger comes roaring back and your willpower slowly crumbles and you gain the weight back.

From my experience with Redux in the 90's, my experience has been the latter. But I figure it's better to lose the weight and have a shot at maintenance than never lose the weight at all.
    is taking half of fen-phen only half as deadly?

The fenfluramine in fenfluramine/phentermine caused heart valve problems. Phentermine has not been shown to have harmful effects, beyond the adverse effects that less than 1% of people exhibit.
  • Nicshtik
    Nicshtik Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    So I have been steadily gaining weight since my daughter was born. I was severely anorexic prior to my pregnancy, got myself to a fairly healthy place when and following my pregnancy. I got healthy after she was born and maintained for a few years between 120 and 130. Now I am 184 (down 10 in the last month) and DONE being overweight. I have tried dieting, I have tried calorie counting, and I have discovered that since many eating disorders are a CONTROL factor, I am extremely prone to disordered eating whenever I try to diet. (Think juicing, severely restricting foods that I can/can't have, time I can/can't eat, depression over failing, etc).

Anyway, Diet Pills: After speaking with my Dr, we started on Orlistat (the lower dose, OTC version is Alli). We aren't trying an appetite suppressant unless we have to, since the whole purpose is to learn new & healthier food habits. The purpose of the drug is to somewhat block your body's absorption of dietary fat. In order to work, this HAS to be coupled with a calorie deficit and a careful/measured approach to fat intake. If you overdo it on fat, you will be miserable. This stuff wreaks havoc on your GI tract (don't stray far from a toilet) and the loose, oily stools are difficult in the best of circumstances. However, the drug blocks absorption of 20-30% of the fat content of foods.
    But, let me tell you...it is ONE HELL OF A reason to be careful and very mindful of what I am putting into my body. I don't want the stomach cramps, I don't want the diarrhea, OK so I won't eat the buffalo wings and stuffed crust pizza for dinner.

So my "diet" (its not a diet because diet is short term, encourages cheating and implies that you can/will fail) while working to change my lifestyle and improve my health has been thus:
    1) 1500 calories per day (this is TOO low, however, due to my disordered eating habits, I am really shooting for less than 1750 on a sedentary day and less than 2000 on a moderately active day)
    2) Orlistat 3x per day with meals containing at least 5-7 grams of fat
    3) around 50 oz of water per day (plus I drink inordinate amounts of black coffee and tea, about 60 oz of coffee alone yesterday)
    4) do not drink my calories
    5) double my vitamin supplements to ensure adequate absorption of fat soluble vitamins & minerals, taken at night
    6) take a probiotic to lessen the really nasty GI effects if I slip up and have a bad day

It hasn't been too long, and I know that I tend to give up when I don't see immediate results, but this, coupled with wearing a fitbit (goal: 10,000+ steps daily) has been working. YMMV, but everyone has their own situation that they bring to the table. A lot of "diet pills" make impossible and seemingly magical promises, and those are ALL bogus. But, if you are looking to take something in tandem with a total lifestyle change to keep you on track, there are options.
  • Nicshtik
    Nicshtik Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    So I have been steadily gaining weight since my daughter was born. I was severely anorexic prior to my pregnancy, got myself to a fairly healthy place when and following my pregnancy. I got healthy after she was born and maintained for a few years between 120 and 130. Now I am 184 (down 10 in the last month) and DONE being overweight. I have tried dieting, I have tried calorie counting, and I have discovered that since many eating disorders are a CONTROL factor, I am extremely prone to disordered eating whenever I try to diet. (Think juicing, severely restricting foods that I can/can't have, time I can/can't eat, depression over failing, etc).

Anyway, Diet Pills: After speaking with my Dr, we started on Orlistat (the lower dose, OTC version is Alli). We aren't trying an appetite suppressant unless we have to, since the whole purpose is to learn new & healthier food habits. The purpose of the drug is to somewhat block your body's absorption of dietary fat. In order to work, this HAS to be coupled with a calorie deficit and a careful/measured approach to fat intake. If you overdo it on fat, you will be miserable. This stuff wreaks havoc on your GI tract (don't stray far from a toilet) and the loose, oily stools are difficult in the best of circumstances. However, the drug blocks absorption of 20-30% of the fat content of foods.
    But, let me tell you...it is ONE HELL OF A reason to be careful and very mindful of what I am putting into my body. I don't want the stomach cramps, I don't want the diarrhea, OK so I won't eat the buffalo wings and stuffed crust pizza for dinner.

So my "diet" (its not a diet because diet is short term, encourages cheating and implies that you can/will fail) while working to change my lifestyle and improve my health has been thus:
    1) 1500 calories per day (this is TOO low, however, due to my disordered eating habits, I am really shooting for less than 1750 on a sedentary day and less than 2000 on a moderately active day)
    2) Orlistat 3x per day with meals containing at least 5-7 grams of fat
    3) around 50 oz of water per day (plus I drink inordinate amounts of black coffee and tea, about 60 oz of coffee alone yesterday)
    4) do not drink my calories
    5) double my vitamin supplements to ensure adequate absorption of fat soluble vitamins & minerals, taken at night
    6) take a probiotic to lessen the really nasty GI effects if I slip up and have a bad day

It hasn't been too long, and I know that I tend to give up when I don't see immediate results, but this, coupled with wearing a fitbit (goal: 10,000+ steps daily) has been working. YMMV, but everyone has their own situation that they bring to the table. A lot of "diet pills" make impossible and seemingly magical promises, and those are ALL bogus. But, if you are looking to take something in tandem with a total lifestyle change to keep you on track, there are options.
  • zoeysasha37
    zoeysasha37 Posts: 7,088 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    Op diet pills are a scam your losing weight because your eating at a deficit. Don't waste anymore time with the pills
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,996 Member
    Options
    I took fen/phen in the 90s and lost 60 pounds effortlessly. That was my last experiment with diet pills.

However, there are many paths up the mountain, so if the green coffee pills are working for you, have at it.
  • lemonsnowdrop
    lemonsnowdrop Posts: 1,298 Member
    Options
    People are saying Topimax is a CNS depressant...and here I was thinking anti epileptic agents block sodium or calcium channels.
  • snickerscharlie
    snickerscharlie Posts: 8,578 Member
    Options
    http://www.cnn.com/2014/06/17/health/senate-grills-dr-oz/

Green Coffee Extract is just one of the many scams that Dr. Oz has perpetrated.
  • HeySwoleSister
    HeySwoleSister Posts: 1,938 Member
    Options
    I keep reading the manufacturer name as "Creative Broscience."

This amuses me.
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,942 Member
    Options
    I week ago I started taking diet pills. I've been taking the 1234 green bean coffee bean by Creative Bioscience. In a week, I've lost 3 pounds. I've taken diet pills in the past and have had success. I was wondering who else has taken diet pills. Have you had success with them? Which ones have you tried? Which diet pills have worked the best for you?

I hate to tell you that you are not losing weight because of the pills, you are losing weight because you are eating at a calorie deficit. I suggest you chuck those pills and continue eating at a deficit. It will take some willpower to keep on track, but you can do this. I know you can. It will save you lots of money too.

By the way, saying that you are taking a pill that has "worked in the past" is actually an indicator that it really did work at all, otherwise you would not be back to taking it. :)
  • snickerscharlie
    snickerscharlie Posts: 8,578 Member
    Options

This amuses me.

Me, too! LMAO.

Could be that we're just easily amused, though. ;)
  • SLLRunner
    Options
    Troutsy wrote: »
    Were you also in a calorie deficit while taking these pills?

I've been eating about 1500 calories a day, which is the same I always eat.
    That can't be accurate if you are losing weight now. My guess is you have not been weighing and/or measuring your food all along, and you have not been keeping a food diary all along.

1500 is even maintenance for most people unless you are super short.
  • SLLRunner
    Options

This amuses me.

Same here!
  • bpetrosky
    bpetrosky Posts: 3,911 Member
    Options

This amuses me.

HA!!!! Love it....but if it was 'broscience' wouldn't they be claiming that it provided 1400g of protein to shred your abs?
  • kjarvo
    kjarvo Posts: 236 Member
    Options
    Not all diet pills are a scam. My nan was prescribed them from the doctors and lost a lot of weight with them, but she said it messed with her bowels and she had to go to the toilet a lot so she stopped taking them.
  • bpetrosky
    bpetrosky Posts: 3,911 Member
    Options
    kjarvo wrote: »
    Not all diet pills are a scam. My nan was prescribed them from the doctors and lost a lot of weight with them, but she said it messed with her bowels and she had to go to the toilet a lot so she stopped taking them.

That sounds something like Orlistat, which inhibits lipase so the body does not absorb fat from food as much. The problem with that is you REALLY need to cut back on eating fatty food because that fat stays in the bowels and you get loose stools.

Anyone who remembers Olestra, a lot of people who tried chips containing that had similar issues because the Olestra fat was not absorbed and stayed in the gut.

Orlistat can be effective for some people, but I'd prefer to stick to CICO and keep my skivvies track free.
  • SLLRunner
    Options
    kjarvo wrote: »

That's great she stopped taking them.

However, I would say that prescribing pills that make you pee and/or poop a lot is a....

Scam.
  • SLLRunner
    Options
    Anyone who remembers Olestra, a lot of people who tried chips containing that had similar issues because the Olestra fat was not absorbed and stayed in the gut.

Oh my goodness, I tried chips with Olestra and had the most horrible reaction, even with a few of the chips. Never again.